Houbigant's re-launch of the classic Fougère Royal

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Houbigant's re-launch of the classic Fougère Royal

Post by SurfFisherman »

Hello Gents-

I've been patiently waiting for someone to post something on this topic and nothing yet, so it seems I must poke at our UK sniffers and get them on the case!

Has anyone had a chance to sample this yet? (nudge, nudge, Michael)

These reformulations never seem to be more than shadows of their former incarnations, but what if...
Chris G
New York City
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Is it likely to be available in UK before anywhere else?

I would need some convincing before seeking it out.

Never tried it but with a name like that wouldn't we just be looking at 'another' Wild Fern, Fougena, English Fern?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

joe mcclaine wrote: Never tried it but with a name like that wouldn't we just be looking at 'another' Wild Fern, Fougena, English Fern?
So it would come full circle - all those being just "another" Fougere Royal.

But the answer's "no". The terrified little pussy puritans at IFRA have imposed (with the inexplicable collusion of the fragrance industry) restrictions on the two things that characterise the fougère line: coumarin and oak moss.

I hope to smell it next week and will report back. I think I know what to expect -- think "inspired by" rather than "recreated" -- but will keep my trap shut until I have something more to go on.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Michael, check your PMS?
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Post by SurfFisherman »

joe mcclaine wrote:Is it likely to be available in UK before anywhere else?
The "First Official Launch" took place in London just over a month ago, so I'm guessing it's most available there. (There's an article on Basenotes about the event, but I had trouble linking to it in my original post.)
joe mcclaine wrote:I would need some convincing before seeking it out.
Yes, me too, that's pretty much why I started this thread. :wink:
joe mcclaine wrote:Never tried it but with a name like that wouldn't we just be looking at 'another' Wild Fern, Fougena, English Fern?
I never had the chance to try the original Fougère Royal either, nor Trumper's Fougena, though they're both highly regarded fragrances (especially here on the forum). English Fern and Wild Fern happen to be favorites of mine, so I find the possibility of 'another' offering of this type quite intriguing.
Chris G
New York City
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Post by SurfFisherman »

Here is a review of the new Fougère Royale from the author of the Basenotes article:

http://makingscent.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... igant.html
Chris G
New York City
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

It's available at Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus in the USA exclusively. It's a very nice fragrance but it isn't a "reissue" rather it was "inspired" by the original.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catal ... %253D21451

Chris
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

$170.00!!!!!!

Well, Paul Parquet, is having an 'inspired' guffaw behind the guilded perfume counter in the sky. I used to buy 7 oz. bottles of "Fougena" for a hundred less. The vintage shave soap was made in the U.S. ,just as an aside, (of which) I'm prone. Perhaps, a bottle of Crown Perfumery "Fougere" would be the thing?

Sorry for nothing and all that jazz.......

Best,
Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"Inspried by".....( yawn )....quite so, and Michael told us why they couldn't/wouldn't do it right even if they wanted to ( which I doubt they would want to ). Houbigant Fougere Royale IS the original, first appearing in the !880s. Scents like English Fern were British versions/interpretations of the basic motif ( I can't prove it but I have a gut hunch that Trumpers Fougena was a version of an Ed. Pinaud scent, not of Fougere Royale ). Anyway, FWIW, I have sniffed the original and while I liked it, I like the classic English interpretations better. The Crown Perfumery 'Fougere' was a bit different yet again, and once more, I prefer the Penhaligon's. Okay, so I'll mosey on down to the local Nieman Marcus and see if they've gotten any in, but I'm not expecting that much really. Just reading the NM blurb on the notes in it make it plain that this stuff has little to do with the original version.
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I really shouldn't of suggested another scent. I do ,however, think the Crown being formulated before some of the regulations came into force...would have real oakmoss & coumarin etc. within. I think it was one of the very earliest 'takes' on fern as well. If you're going to present the child of the 'daddy' of all ferns ,at least, bring along the father. I rather think the same regarding Elton John and new child as well...what?

I recall you pondering ,just when, Truefitt had to have had one in the range! That would of (really) been something ,as would've, the one Roger & Gallet had back in time....where am I going?

I was able to check out Yardley Wild Fern/Fougere bath soap...supurb!

Best,
Fitch
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

bernards66 wrote: . Just reading the NM blurb on the notes in it make it plain that this stuff has little to do with the original version.
Regards,
Gordon
Pepper, cinnamon, and carnation. Fine scent is an unnecessary luxury that I just can't afford anymore (not at $170) for 3 ounces I can't. It's bad enough the price Penhaligon's has reached. I'm glad I was able to check a goodly amount of this stuff out when I did. My 'angle' ,quite often, was to do it through the hair dressings at half the cost though.

Sorry for the hijack 'SurfFisher'. I've never purchased "Joop" and I don't plan on it at this stage....not even at a 'King's ransom'.....

Let's all have a great 2011 irregardless,
Fitch
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

A year or so ago I was searching for a classic Houbigant scent for my wife. It was Quelque Fleurs. I got a small bottle of straight perfume and was underwhelmed by it. Then I read the history of Houbigant and found that the company went into receivership decades ago and has reappeared with at least three successive owners. The scents barely resemble the originals. I then was looking on ebay and what should turn up but a collectors bottle of the original made in Paris and still sealed with a silk thread. I bought it for the price of the bottle. We opened it and it had aged a lot but was still better than the modern scent. I wrote to the professional reviewer of the original and he had the curtesy to respond, delighted at my find. Said it would have lost a lot of the fresh flower scents but might be werarable.
Ouchmychin (Pete)