d.r. harris PINK

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Never having used either, could someone comment on the similarity (or lack of) between D.R. Harris Pink and Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel (low or no alcohol). I am considering Thayer's as a complement to a rose edt (Ungaro III) and want to know if it acts like an aftershave splash.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, To me they are just not that similiar ( keeping in mind that this whole A/S business is highly individual ). Several years ago I picked up some of the Thayers also thinking that it might be an acceptable and much cheaper alternative to the Pink. But it did not have the same soothing effect on my skin and, in fact, kicked up some irritation. I don't know why exactly but that was my experiance. That Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel is still somewhere in the front bathroom I think but I never use it.
Regards,
Gordon
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Appreciate the info! Thank you very much!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

ok, here's my two cents.....go a little preventative here,,,,,try a few drops of pacific shave oil in the affected area prior to applying your soap or cream. maybe you can prevent the razor from doing damage. i found T&H to be very good also.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
shmittytheloverboy

Post by shmittytheloverboy »

If Pink is so expensive, wouldn't it be cost effective to make your own rosewater?
"The light you see at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train." David Lee Roth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

D R Harris's Pink Aftershave is not quite simply 'rosewater'...there are a few other things in it. Admittedly it could be argued that it's pretty pricey for such a relatively simple formula product, but it works like no other, at least for me. I've tried several less expensive products that I thought/hoped might function as a less expensive alternative but none of them have really done the job equally well IMO.
Regards.
Gordon
shmittytheloverboy

Post by shmittytheloverboy »

bernards66 wrote:D R Harris's Pink Aftershave is not quite simply 'rosewater'...there are a few other things in it. Admittedly it could be argued that it's pretty pricey for such a relatively simple formula product, but it works like no other, at least for me. I've tried several less expensive products that I thought/hoped might function as a less expensive alternative but none of them have really done the job equally well IMO.
Regards.
Gordon
What's in it?
"The light you see at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train." David Lee Roth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Someone else will have to answer this in it's entirety as the ingrediants are listed on the box and I generally don't save boxes. Along with the basic rose water there is some glycerine, about 14% alcohol, and a few other things. In addition to the ingrediants per se, there is also the proportions used and the quality of the base ingrediants. Some of these old time products are deceptively simple. They seem like they would be relatively easy to re-create at home or whatever, but sometimes they're really not. The classic old school English shave creams are a good case in point. The ingrediants list doesn't seem that daunting and creams like this have been around since Victorian times, more or less. Yet we once had a member with a backround in soap making and in chemistry and he tried for months to re-create the old Taylors shave cream and had to admit failure in the end. They are not nearly as easy to get 'right' as it seems like they would be. I have a hunch that the Harris's Pink A/S is another such product.
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

Pink Aftershave:
  • Aqua
    Ethanol 16.89% v/v
    Glycerin
    Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Bromide
    Methyl Para Hydroxybenzoate
    Fragrance (Natural)
    Colouring
Regards,
Andy
paddy

Post by paddy »

i've seen a few side comments on the boards here about pink recently being reformulated and that the scent is now different. anyone got any more info?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
druphus

Post by druphus »

The "Formula" is the same; however, the "Fragrance (Natural)" has been changed from Rose to what smells to me like lilac.
Regards,
Andy
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Andy, I've not had the opportunity to try a more recent bottle of the "Pink". How many do we know of who have experianced this change? I ask because I recently spoke with a vendor who has not experianced any change at all and no complaining customers.
Regards,
Jani
druphus

Post by druphus »

Yani, the only people I actually know of are myself (who has 500ml of the "lilac" stuff purchased December 17, 2010) and Gordon.

Perhaps, our experience represents a limited run and Harris has gone back to the rose scent. I don't know, however, the Harris website currently states nothing about rose, but rather states, "With subtle tones, this fragrance is suitable for all occasions." The "lilac" stuff does not smell like rose, so it is not necessary to "compare" it to the rose variety to recognise the difference.
Regards,
Andy
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Andy, please tell me if I'm wrong but to my recollection there has never been any information saying it smells of Rose on the Harris website. Or am I wrong?
Regards,
Jani
druphus

Post by druphus »

Jani, I cannot say you are wrong because I didn't consult the website until after I bought the jug of "lilac".

I currently have two jugs of the Pink, one is the rose scent and the other the "lilac", and there is no mistaking that the scent is different.

I do have an old D.R. Harris catalogue at home that I should check, if I can find it.
Regards,
Andy
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

druphus wrote:Jani, I cannot say you are wrong because I didn't consult the website until after I bought the jug of "lilac".

I currently have two jugs of the Pink, one is the rose scent and the other the "lilac", and there is no mistaking that the scent is different.

I do have an old D.R. Harris catalogue at home that I should check, if I can find it.
Andy, I suspect this to only be an anomaly.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Yes, at least the older D R Harris's literature described the Pink A/S as having a rose scent and it was obvious that it did. The most recent bottle that I have is clearly a lilac or lily of the valley sort of fragrance. As Andy said, there is no mistaking the difference. I think that one of our regular vendors checked in on my thread on this subject to confirm that the bottles he recently received also smelled like 'lilac'. But, this stuff does 'work' just as well as it always did. If it's an anomoly, or a temporary boo-boo, the 'lilac' scented stuff is out there.
Regards,
Gordon
water

Post by water »

How does the Pink compare to the Harris Sandalwood aftershave? I am thinking of purchasing the Sandalwood but am hesitant as certain aftershaves do not work well for me.

To be honest, while it would be great if the Sandalwood is a solid aftershave, I am also considering it to use simply as a cologne.
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sandalwood is a nice enough aftershave, but it is far more potent than the Pink. Far more potent than most of Harris's colognes, to tell the truth. It is a dryyyyyyy sandalwood with a medicinal quality that I crave at times and other times find too much. It does have "tangy oils" that seem kind to the skin, but I wound up finding the scent too much on my face and just used it as a splash-on cologne on the chest.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
water

Post by water »

Putting the scent to one side, how does it compare to the Pink in terms of how it feels on the skin after a shave? Is it harsher? Or is it gentle like the Pink?