I wonder when aftershave balms first appeared?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
ChrisW

I wonder when aftershave balms first appeared?

Post by ChrisW »

It seems like all 'old-school' aftershaves were alcohol-based (Skin Food being the exception, I think). Does anyone know when the first moisturizing aftershave balms started appearing?
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm sure the old-timers on this board will have a better idea, but I first became aware of aftershave creams sometime in the 1990's, when one or two of them started appearing on drugstore shelves. Skin Food, Harris' Aftershave Milk, and similar English products may have been available long before that.

For much of my shaving career, I used Noxzema following the shave, and I seem to recall it worked well as a balm.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ancient Egypt would be a place to start. Royalty, aristocracy, government officials, and anyone in the established pecking order who was allowed, all wore wigs over a shaved head. The shaving balm for face and head was olive oil infused with herbs, spices and other exotic stuff.
Regards,
Squire
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I'm not sure if places such as Caswell Massey, C.O. Bigelow or Kiehl's would've had something 'in-shop' way back when. The first mass commercial one that comes to mind is "Afta" introduced by Mennen of N. Jersey in '60,'61 something like that. I have seen vintage ads from the turn of the 20th Cen. for Mentholatum ,that suggest, it's beneficial for use after shaving.

Best,
Fitch
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Upper Paleolithic, red ochre