Traditional American aftershave?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Linas

Traditional American aftershave?

Post by Linas »

Hello,

I will be travelling in the USA this June and I would like to buy some simple aftershave. This way, I won't have to carry anything with me across the ocean, and will also be able to enjoy the process of getting a new aftershave. I already have Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua velva blue. I have my mind set on Thayers witch hazel, but maybe there is another good traditional aftershave which is widely available in regular stores?
Also, this is not a shaving cream forum, but maybe you could recommend good basic American shaving cream or soap?

Thank you,
Linas
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Linas,

Old Spice is widely available in stores and quite traditional. So is Pinaud Clubman, which is a fine fougere. You might consider Aqua Velva Musk, too. I think Thayer's would be a fine selection, and you can probably find a couple of other Pinaud scents depending on which stores you patronize. Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and Pinaud Bay Rum are traditional and can be had at many brick and mortar stores in the United States.

Unfortunately, the selection of American shave creams and soaps is more limited. Williams is the most widely available and very traditional, if not universally loved. Van der Hagen follows close on its heels on all counts. Crabtree & Evelyn do sell a very nice shave soap and a decent cream, but their brick and mortar locations are limited. Worth trying if you can find it.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Linas, Tim has covered it for the most part.

The classic/traditional 'drugstore' after shaves here have always been:
Aqua Velva
Skin Bracer
Old Spice
Clubman
Afta

You obviously can skip the first two. You want the last two. You can find in any store, as I'm sure, is what you're asking about.

Shave soap/cream same deal.

Some use the "Corn Huskers" lotion as an after shave/light balm. To find the "Clubman" you have to buy at any Walgreens or CVS drug store chain. The "Afta" & "Corn Huskers" can be found there too ,but are found in any grocery/food store for less. The Corn Huskers will be found in the hand/body lotion aisle though. Hope you have a fine trip.

Fitch
Araner

Post by Araner »

I'll second the nomination for Aqua Velva Musk.

Mike
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Clubman Limesec/Vegitol..buy em both :lol:

ST
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

[quote="SmallTank"]Clubman Limesec/Vegitol..buy em both :lol:
Mike..I have that same brush..22mm..works great with hard soaps
:D
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I have to agree with pretty much everybody above!

There is a variety of Old Spice now, but it's the old original formula that our dads and granddads wore.

Use the Cornhusker's sparingly! It gets made not too far from here, my father uses it on his hands after he's been working on engines all day, so on a face just a dab will do you!

Of course, being a biased Nebraskan, I also have to throw Ogallala Bay Rum's name into the ring. They make some good soaps and some interesting witchhazel splashes and colognes.

-Erik
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

To me, Aqua Velva Musk is a little too sweet and thick. Much prefer the Ice Blue. One of these days I'll venture into the >$5 aftershaves.
Ed
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't care for any Pinaud except for Virgin Island Bay Rum. My wife thinks that is too strong, so you might prefer to blend it with witch hazel.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

You may want to consider a Bay Rum such as Superior 70 or possibly Dominica.
Good shaving,

Gary
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

AV Musk is nice, but is... er, quite pungent.

Bay Rums, of course. Pinaud is heavy on the clove. Superior 70 is a "pure" bay rum. Both can be found for ~$2 at Walgreens, a large nationwide drug store chain.

I like the Ogallala product, especially their Bay Rum + Limes + Peppercorn. Not sure you can find this locally. Ogallala does sell a nice sample pack of their line, recommended if you like bay rums.

Pinaud makes a whole line of products, most of which are hard to find at local stores and you may need to order online if you wish to try. I recommend the Vanilla, the Special Reserve (a leather scent - kind of a poor man's Knize Ten) and Citrus Musk.

Master is another company that makes a line of old-fashioned (and very cheap) aftershaves. Some local "beauty" shops may carry them, but they are available online. Topaz may be their most popular.

Barbasol Brisk is pretty popular among wetshavers as well, you can find this in some dollar stores. It has a lot of menthol and is good for summer.

Have fun in the US!
Linas

Post by Linas »

Thank you for all the recommendations. The choice is too wide :-). What I see recommended most is Pinaud products, Bay Rum and Aqua Velva.
I can see Barbasol (and possibly Noxzema) are canned - isn't a can evil by default?
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

There are several choices, I would have to recommend any Clubman aftershave, you can find them in drugstores and most grocery stores.

If you need a balm, try one of the varieties of Afta for men, you will be surprised how well this works for the money.

Soap wise, Van Der Hagen Deluxe can be found in most drugstores as well its more than capable, I think this photo less the shaving instruments illustrates your best bet at a nice cheap wet shave in the US under $10.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

Linas wrote:Thank you for all the recommendations. The choice is too wide :-). What I see recommended most is Pinaud products, Bay Rum and Aqua Velva.
I can see Barbasol (and possibly Noxzema) are canned - isn't a can evil by default?
Barbasol shaving cream is canned. Their aftershave comes in a plastic bottle.

Luxlover

Post by Luxlover »

Florida Water!
Luxlover

Linas

Post by Linas »

Luxlover wrote:Florida Water!
What is it exactly and where can I get it? I will be in Florida in 6 days - supposedly, I will be able to find it there :-).
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Linas. The Barbasol cream is 'brushless' and also comes in this tube. Can find at the C.V.S. stores I've already mentioned. "Florida Water" & "Bay Rum" are as traditional as it gets here. I can't suggest where to buy though. Perhaps, someone will tell you...if you pass-along the city? If you can find a Sally Beauty Supply store (maybe) there. I would suggest one more as well. "Osage Rub" is a Summer a/s classic. Can be found at a Sally store. Have a good time (and you're coming a long way) for cheap after shave!

Fitch
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Linas,
Don't forget to have fun in Florida, not just shop for shaving items! That said, you have several good suggestions already; mostly go into a store, see what they have and give it a shot. Traditional scents (to me) in the US would include the ones you have, and Old Spice (original-it's been reformulated but it is still very similar to the old version). Pinaud Clubman I liked but I never could like the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. It isn't a horrible smell, per se, but I could not wipe the thought of urinal cakes from my mind as soon as I opened the bottle.
My grandfather still wears Old Spice, fwiw.

John P.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Traditional products are still produiced and sold, but, besides what's been mentioned, they are sold primarily from barber suppliers here.

At a barber supply shop you can find several varieties of lilac vegetal (as well as many many other traditional aftershaves by companies like masters and stephan), marvy shaving products, etc. If you are fond of traditional hair grooms, numerous options exist as well such as lucky tiger, jeris, and others.