creed aventus

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
function

creed aventus

Post by function »

Anybody out there wrap their sniffed around it?

I stopped by the high end pharmacy in my hometown just now and wanted to get a sampling of a few proper scents that my inventory and history lack. Front and center are the creed scents. Of course I loved the subtlety of Santal at the first whiff but that isn't my point.
Aventus was recommended by the knowlegdeable young lady at the counter(who knows her stuff to the point where she could be a learned contributor on soaps creams and scents here) and I appreciated the suggestion.
Intital attack is citrus. . . No wait. . . Pineapple and citrus. Did not see that coming. Followed by the woody notes I expect. It truly made me regret having applied another edt before leaving for the day.
Any learnned noses out there have any thoughts on the scent?[/img]
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I have it and absolutely love it. Of the 30+ colognes I have, this is one that received many compliments from the ladies. Its extremely funny that I cannot pick up the pineapple in the notes, but its suppose to be front and center.

It is definitely worth its weight in gold in my opinion.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I have sampled many of Creed's scents. I've only liked a few of them, and only two; Royal English Leather & Green Irish Tweed. I want to own their Cuir De Russie, however it's become ungodly expensive. I have not sampled Aventus, but it sounds like a great scent, thanks for the info.
Cheers,

Craig
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I tried it yesterday and wife wants me to get it. $140 for one ounce. Liked it better than Tom Ford Grey vetiver (#2), or Clive Christian 1872, or Prada Amber for Men Intense.

Craig, I started a thread on a bottle of Creed Cuir de Russie I saw for a great price at a consignment store in Atlanta/Buckhead, called Label. $70 for 2.5 ounces, about 90% full and they should be able to ship it. I tried it and dont really care for leather scents, but this is leather. If you dont want it, yall tell Gordon, since I think he might like it but would not spend much more for it than that. Royal English Leather is what I like but on me, it smells like that bubble gum from the baseball card packs way back when
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Yeah, Cuir de Russie is one of the very few Creed scents that I actually like. In fact, as fate would have it, this very evening I dragged out that large sample spray of it that I have to show it to my son. He's never smelled that real birch tar scent before and it took him aback somewhat. It's a shame that it's no longer available except as a bespoke scent, but it was always so ghastly expensive anyway....sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I didn't find Aventus to be anything special. Can see why ladies might like it. A bit 'samey' for me.

The new Royal Oud is slightly better, but I still wouldn't thank you for a bottle of it.

Haven't found much from Creed to write home about - even BdP wasn't quite as good as I was expecting.

Oh, and I have it from someone 'in the know' that some of Creeds 'bespoke' scent are to be re-released in 125ml spray bottles. That is very likely to include Cuir De Russie, but if their recent history is anything to go by I would expect it to be a pale shadow of its former self - I'm guessing heavier on the citrus, lighter on the smoke.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the Chanel version now.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

As to any one that has tried or even has Aventus: do you find that this scent does not seem like it projects? That is, when I spray Imperial or Green Irish Tweed on, it seems as though they are loud and very much present and waft up to my nose while I am driving to work, about 30 minutes after application. In that respect, Aventus seems to be positively weak, however, many reviews of Aventus seem to say that others have the same experience but that people standing around the wearer can smell it. I guess that this Creed has more of that ISO E makeup and may make the wearer suffer from what is referred to as nose fatigue?

I do get many compliments on it however.
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

This is very true Sam. I cant smell it after an hour or so, but I have been complimented on it a good 8-10 hrs after application of the product. It is one of the only scents that women will ask me what I am wearing rather than just saying I smell good.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Isaac, now that you mention it, yes, a couple of women asked, "what is that you are wearing, it smells so good" rather than "you smell nice". I can smell it on me if I take my nose to say my wrist and leave it there, but for Imperial, here I am at my desk and if the air conditioner blows in my direction, I can catch a wiff of the Imperial, but not so with Aventus.
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

Im sure you know from some of my posts that I am a Creed junky. I only wish some of their others scents had the longevity that the Aventus does.

I am really on the fence about picking up Royal English Leather. But than again, I have a sample of Tom Ford Italian Cypress that is screaming for me to buy its big brother.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

IsaacRN wrote:Im sure you know from some of my posts that I am a Creed junky. I only wish some of their others scents had the longevity that the Aventus does.

I am really on the fence about picking up Royal English Leather. But than again, I have a sample of Tom Ford Italian Cypress that is screaming for me to buy its big brother.
I think Knize Ten is pretty much the same kind of leather as Royal English and can be picked up for a fraction of the cost of the Creed one (well, in Europe it can).

If you like Leather, you owe it to yourself to try Histoires 1740 Marquis De Sade AND Le Labo 24 Patchouli . . . these two knock ANY other leather scents into a cocked hat - including Cuir De Russie.
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

Ill have to try the Le Labo again. When I picked up my Rose 31 in NYC i remember smelling it, and not caring for it much.

Speaking of Patchouli, I need to get me some Borneo from Serge Lutens.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

joe mcclaine wrote:
IsaacRN wrote:Im sure you know from some of my posts that I am a Creed junky. I only wish some of their others scents had the longevity that the Aventus does.

I think Knize Ten is pretty much the same kind of leather as Royal English and can be picked up for a fraction of the cost of the Creed one (well, in Europe it can).

If you like Leather, you owe it to yourself to try Histoires 1740 Marquis De Sade AND Le Labo 24 Patchouli . . . these two knock ANY other leather scents into a cocked hat - including Cuir De Russie.
Joe, Creed's REL and Knize 10 are very different scents. Both are leather's but of very different style. REL is a Spanish Leather while K10 is a Russian Leather. I don't understand how you found them even remotely similar. Unless you count the Orange opening.
Regards,
Jani
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Aztecface wrote:Joe, Creed's REL and Knize 10 are very different scents. Both are leather's but of very different style. REL is a Spanish Leather while K10 is a Russian Leather. I don't understand how you found them even remotely similar. Unless you count the Orange opening.
Hey ho Jani, you obviously have a much more sophisticated nose than me.

Orange opening?

No.

See? Told you, I know buggerall.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I like the Aventus, but given that my sniffer is off, it does not last or project on me. Going up on the sales forum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Any update on this scent? Bargepole ever comment in another thread?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Aventus.... well, it's a big hit but I personally don't get it. Something about it -- something like Ambroxan except it's not -- makes my nose itch, the olfactory equivalent of six guys doing trumpet practice in the shed.

It's a swaggering edgy sort of composition, the kind of thing which brings to my mind a sharp young buck with an Audi R8 parked outside & anxious to get a girl before his hair gel wears off. The kind of guy who knows that only prats wear sunglasses indoors but even so he'd really like to do so...

If I were 26 and doing well, I'd probably wear it, too. Few things better on the planet than being a young buck with an R8 after all. As it is, it merely reminds me that I'm never going to be 26 again, and I never had an R8.

I tell myself I have far better taste now and, hell, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing Aventus... but you know something? Turn back the hands of time and I'll be standing in line for a BIG bottle. Oh, and I'll take some of that hair gel, please... gotta run; the R8's double-parked...

As a fragrance: nothing special. As an aspirational statement or memo-to-self: they nailed it with this one.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I got a bottle from fragrancenet.com, about the best price from a reputable online dealer Stateside. There are discussions at basenotes on batch variations (and it appears that since 2011, batches are more consistent on not only Aventus but GIT and MI). For some reason, before Aventus I got more compliments on Green Irish Tweed than all other scents I have ever worn in my life COMBINED. And Aventus, at least before this bottle, I got even more than GIT!

I had Aventus and sold it because I could not smell it on me an hour after I put it on, although others could. And with Imperial, I came upon a salty note that it did not have years ago. The Aventus now is balanced between pineapple and a smokey/ashy component and lasts 7 to 8 hours or most like any other scent. I can smell it on me now. And it gets compliments