Penhaligons has broken my lavender heart

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

Post by never2close »

bernards66 wrote:Enjoy the sample while you can? Seriously, what else can you do? Despite what some may try and tell you, Penhaligon's Espirit de Lavande was unique...there is no other lavender water around that is that similiar to it. It was my favourite of all the lavender waters I've ever tried. The original Yardley Lavender for Gentlemen was also excellent, but quite light and I never got to try the old lavender water that many years ago Floris specifically made for men. Hell, at least you got to try it.
Regards,
Gordon
I appreciate your rational words, but alas I am the Don Quixote of lavender waters. I will prevail and find that 100ml bottle of Penhaligons Esprit de Lavande. I am starting my journey now................
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well...let us know when you return from whatever out of the way locales you visit on your journey....and best of luck..
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

You know... I do have a bottle. It's not for sale but I do have a bottle. :D
Regards,
Jani
never2close

Post by never2close »

Aztecface wrote:You know... I do have a bottle. It's not for sale but I do have a bottle. :D
My quest is over! Now how do I lure you into a trade or sale? I don't have much to trade. My SWAMPTHING is still quite attractive, but I think she will be adverse to being traded for a bottle of cologne. So that leaves a purchase.......
never2close

Post by never2close »

Gordon,
Unfortunately you are right. The Esprit de Lavande is a terrific lavender based cologne. Since I secured a relatively small quantity I will use it sparingly, but I will enjoy it.
paddy

Post by paddy »

It arrived today and it is quite nice. Now what do I do?
see if you can reverse engineer it.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
never2close

Post by never2close »

Up to 24 ml. Progress is slow but steady.
brothers

Post by brothers »

never2close wrote:I received a response from Brian Kurtz and it is official, no Esprit de Lavande in the foreseeable future. It is a cruel cruel world we live in............
At least it was quick and merciful. Too bad. Here I am, still trying to figure out a way to pay the price for a bottle of EF. Since nobody's been taking my birthday, father's day, and Christmas lists seriously anyway, I guess I'll keep prowling around estate sales looking for a partially used bottle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Harvitz81

Post by Harvitz81 »

brothers wrote:
never2close wrote:I received a response from Brian Kurtz and it is official, no Esprit de Lavande in the foreseeable future. It is a cruel cruel world we live in............
At least it was quick and merciful. Too bad. Here I am, still trying to figure out a way to pay the price for a bottle of EF. Since nobody's been taking my birthday, father's day, and Christmas lists seriously anyway, I guess I'll keep prowling around estate sales looking for a partially used bottle.
I know this is a bit late and maybe you found your English Fern, but if not you might give Crown Perfumery Fougere a try. I just received a sample of this in the mail and it is very, very close to EF. Not quite as sharp, but overall the closest thing I've ever smelt to it.

I already ordered a bottle from 99 perfume (quite cheap too!). They have other Crown's that I'm going to be investigating. I've ordered from them before and though slow in shipping, I have always received everything in good order.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Harvitz81 wrote:
brothers wrote:
I know this is a bit late and maybe you found your English Fern, but if not you might give Crown Perfumery Fougere a try. I just received a sample of this in the mail and it is very, very close to EF. Not quite as sharp, but overall the closest thing I've ever smelt to it.

I already ordered a bottle from 99 perfume (quite cheap too!). They have other Crown's that I'm going to be investigating. I've ordered from them before and though slow in shipping, I have always received everything in good order.
I would speed up in purchasing or trying the Crown's as they are becoming quite scarce.
Regards,
Jani
Harvitz81

Post by Harvitz81 »

Aztecface wrote:
Harvitz81 wrote:
brothers wrote: At least it was quick and merciful. Too bad. Here I am, still trying to figure out a way to pay the price for a bottle of EF. Since nobody's been taking my birthday, father's day, and Christmas lists seriously anyway, I guess I'll keep prowling around estate sales looking for a partially used bottle.

I would speed up in purchasing or trying the Crown's as they are becoming quite scarce.
I have most of the samples coming, though wish I could find a vendor selling Sandringham and Marquis cheaper.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hell I just wish I could walk into a store and sample them.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Harvitz, In a way, why encourage anyone to try any of the Crown scents at this point? They were discontiued years ago now and the supplies of them in any form still 'out there' must be very small. I reluctantly let Crown stuff go ( mentally ) some time ago. FWIW, I never really thought that their Fougere was all that similiar to English Fern. I'd expected it to be because their Town & Country WAS very similiar to Blenheim Bouquet. But to me, their Fougere was markedly different from English Fern even though it was obviously of the same general style of scent. I think the Trumpers Wild Fern is a much closer match.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never2close

Post by never2close »

I am reviving this thread to thank F.W Fitch (Jared) for a very generous act by him. A couple of weeks ago he alerted me to an Ebay auction for 50ml bottle of Esprit de Lavande. I am happy to be a part of this kind of community......

[/img]
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Hear! Hear!....good ol' Fitch...a gentleman and a scholar ( as well as being the only known member who has seen that mysterious warehouse near Winnemuca, Nevada...eh?...never mind...it's a long story ). Anyway, very glad to hear that he was able to aid you in finally acquiring a reasonable amount of the old Penhaligon's Espirit de Lavende. Definately a really fine cologne, enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I'm glad you were able to get a goodly amount finally Ken. The color in that 50 ml looks the way it should ,hopefully, it was stored well and still smells fresh.

Best,
Jared
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

And just for the fun of it...ahh the grand old days of Penhaligon's, er, Truefitt & Hill er Sheila Pickles...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Argg!....very mean spirited of you Fitch! Sigh....you're almost as bad as that Bargepole fellow. Indeed, the old Bond Street address, so it's pre-Sheila Pickles, probably from when Ivan Bersch still owned T&H including the old Penhaligon's formulas. Dang!...how I wish stuff like this was still being made by these firms.
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Just for full disclosure Gordon. I never did get to try that extract either. I had a chance to buy a used bottle and passed on it. I had come across a still wrapped in cello bottle of the after shave and purchased that for $50. I was very happy, as I had hunted, for a couple of years for one! That IS plenty potent enough ,and well, you win some..you lose some. I looked in my closet, and decided, I needed to lose a few more. But damn if those old labels are not appealing though!

Best,
Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

They are indeed. How old is the Hammam A/S that you finally did score? I still have a tiny bit left but I bought it around 2006 I think.
Regards,
Gordon