Astor or Eucris?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
water

Astor or Eucris?

Post by water »

While thinking of purchasing a new cologne, I discovered two old Trumper sample vials I had some time ago. They reminded me how much I like both Astor and Eucris.

The two share many similarities to me, with Eucris coming across a little stronger. Does anyone here have a preference between the two? If yes, what is it you like about one over the other?
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I've had limited experience with Astor, only had a sample vial of it. It was okay, but I love Eucris, it's one of my favorite colognes.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They are very similar, aren't they? Both are modern scents and would make Gordon gag. The Astor is slightly sweeter and more spicy, whereas the Eucris is drier, greener and more herbal. I liked them both, but having gained some experience over these last few years I think that anyone wanting that kind of scent would do better with Trumper Wild Fern or, better yet, Penhaligon English Fern.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
water

Post by water »

For me the Trumper is similar but not as nice as the Penhaligon. The problem with the Penhaligon is simply the price. It borders on ridiculous in my mind.

Also, I think the Trumper Fern only comes in those small 50g spray bottles now?

Post by bernards66 »

Well, Chris knows my tastes pretty well after all this time ( chuckle ) and he's right; I'm not a big fan of either Astor or Eucris as both are quite 'modern' style colognes ( both having been created in the late '70s or early '80s ). If forced to choose I would go with the Astor. Yes, unfortunatlely, Penhaligon's English fern has become very expensive and Trumpers Wild Fern is now only available in those lame 50ml sprays...which is a shame on both counts. Still, I plan on continuing to have English Fern around as it is probably my favourite of all gentleman's scents and my SO is also very fond of it, epecially the dry-down. The price keeps me from wearing it quite as often as I otherwise would but I'm not willing to do without it entirely. The A/S is markedly less pricey and while not quite as 'good', is still very nice and remains an option for me if I don't want to fork over for the EdT.
Regards,
Gordon
water

Post by water »

Hi Gordon. It is funny how Trumpers promotes both Eucris and Astor as having much older origins. Particularly Astor, which would seem to date back to Edwardian times.

I quite like them both but still have not settled my search for a secondary cologne (behind Trumpers Spanish Leather). Being a relatively new Harris convert I am searching for Arlington and Mayfair samples so those might be an option as well. It is easy to find many reviews of Arlington whereas Mayfair seems practically a mystery.
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can't speak for Astor, as I don't know about it. It does strike me as an odd name for a traditional company to choose, the English branch of the family being far less respectable than the American (Cliveden, Profumo, man-in-the-mask vs New York Public Library).
Eucris is old, but only as a hair dressing. The cologne has a markedly different scent (unrelated might be a better term) and was introduced, I believe, in the early 80's.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ken

Post by Ken »

Penhaligon's is having a sale. While the English Fern fragrance is not included (though the bath and shower gel is), both Douro and Hammam Bouquet are 50% off in the 50ml size.

Ken
water

Post by water »

I also thought it strange, especially when paired with Curzon, Wellington and Marlborough.
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There aren't too many ducal lines still extant, and some may even have been used in other trademarked products such as Grafton, so perhaps they felt they had to slum it. The unused titles might not work too well - can you imagine putting a dab of Rutland or Somerset behind your ears? Sounds rather agricultural.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, Yes, Trumpers does like to leave one with the impression that that 'classic' line are old scents but the line itself was only introduced in the late '70s or slightly later. Most of the scents comprising it are clearly of that era and not Edwardian style compositions at all. Wild Fern was probably done as a purposeful counter to the Penhaligon's Fern, which really is an old scent. Trumpers genuinely old formulations are all in their 'regular' line; Spanish Leather, Bay Rum, Eau de Quinine, etc. As Chris already noted, Eucris is old as a hairdressing ( which smells something like their Violet cologne ) but the very different smelling cologne by that name did not come along until much later. As to D R Harris's Mayfair, it is a slight re-working of their old 'Hers' cologne and as such I do not find it personally very appropriate for gents. The Albany is similiarly a slight variation on the what they used to sell as 'His' cologne...sort of spicy with lots of vanilla.

Chris, Maybe 'Norfolk' would work for a cologne? They're still around, aren't they?
Regards,
Gordon
water

Post by water »

Perhaps Trumpers concocted the cologne and thought, "like that, smells a bit nouveau riche."

"Hey, who was that American bloke that bought his way into the peerage? Astor? Yes, I like that... sounds a bit like Aston Martin as well. Print the labels!"

Post by water »

Gordon, I am disappointed to hear that about the Mayfair cologne as I was holding out hope for it. However, now you have me wondering about the Albany. I think I will contact Harris and enquire about samples.

Oh, and Norfolk definitely would not be a desirable name for a cologne. "Why yes, I do smell like barley, thank you for noticing." :)

Post by river1 »

Interesting exchange as I used the Floris JF last night and added the Astor on top because the JF did not meet the SWMBO test. The Astor has become an everyday favorite, IMHO, of course.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Go with Eucris, James Bond wore it so you know it's good.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

That was the hairdressing Joe, and he didn't buy it himself; it was provided by his soon to be father-in-law ( see, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" ).
Regards,
Gordon
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Yes Gordon. I was just being a little bit naughty.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joe, Yeah, right after I posted it occured to me that that was what you were doing. Oh well....maybe some new member doesn't know the above and will find it mildly interesting. Cheers!

Gordon
Roger Smith

Post by Roger Smith »

Eucris is just a weird scent. It's so conventional and not very modern. I'd go with it just because of it.

Astor smells fruity and hints of citrus.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Roger, I guess it would depend somewhat upon what one considered 'modern'. Granted, Eucris does not smell like those generic pseudo-'marine' scents that are so common now, but it is also not remotely like any genuine Edwardian era creation. To me, it comes straight out of the period in which it was created; late'70s-early '80s. Astor also has that period vibe but to me the most noticeable note is that caraway that's in it.
Regards,
Gordon