The Fat

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
wenestvedt

The Fat

Post by wenestvedt »

Is there anything that I can use after shaving with Mitchell's Wool fat soap? I like the soap's smell, so I want an ASB (or something) that will complement/reinforce it -- or at least not step all over it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

- Will
brucered

Post by brucered »

i use Proraso Alcohol free or Gentlemans Refinery...both have little to know scent, but compliment it well
Elephants never forget!
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Now I use some Thayer's witch hazel, but I would like something with a little more moisture in it. :7)

- Will
brucered

Post by brucered »

wenestvedt wrote:Now I use some Thayer's witch hazel, but I would like something with a little more moisture in it. :7)

- Will
i use that 1st..then my proraso or Gentlemans Refinery
Elephants never forget!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Trumper's Skin Food.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brucered

Post by brucered »

jww wrote:Trumper's Skin Food.
which scent?
Elephants never forget!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am a Sandalwood guy myself.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brucered wrote:
which scent?
The scent is incredibly mild with Skin Food .... and I use all of them. Rose is the lightest, Limes is the freshest, and Sandalwood is the classiest.
Wendell

brucered

Post by brucered »

jww wrote:
brucered wrote:
which scent?
The scent is incredibly mild with Skin Food .... and I use all of them. Rose is the lightest, Limes is the freshest, and Sandalwood is the classiest.
thanks...i just wasn't sure if one complimented the MWF better then the other.

today i used RR Aftershave was and it was good too.
Elephants never forget!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Will I use traditional aftershaves rather than balms but haven't found a clash with MWF because the soap is so lightly scented and that which it has fades quickly.

I suppose that if I were going to match it I would choose a lavender cologne or aftershave.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

is trumpers skin food similar in benefit to the acca kappa shave emulsion?

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ghart

Post by ghart »

I don't use aftershave very much so I suppose that I'm not really qualified to speak, but for me the principal scent of MWF is a mixture of geraniol and lanolin. Therefore I suggest that you look in the rose and allied fragrance department.

MWF partners well with rose-based creams. Of the few that I have tried Trumpers rose fits best, as does Fitjar sweetgrass.

But all this is very subjective, which means that it's basically trial and error (in other words a few good, and probably more bad attempts to find what you need).

George
brucered

Post by brucered »

ghart wrote:I don't use aftershave very much so I suppose that I'm not really qualified to speak, but for me the principal scent of MWF is a mixture of geraniol and lanolin. Therefore I suggest that you look in the rose and allied fragrance department.

MWF partners well with rose-based creams. Of the few that I have tried Trumpers rose fits best, as does Fitjar sweetgrass.

But all this is very subjective, which means that it's basically trial and error (in other words a few good, and probably more bad attempts to find what you need).

George
good suggestions everyone...i have some CORAL skinfood that doesn't really match up with any of my other soaps/creams, but might go very well with the MWF.

i'll have to give it a try.

thanks
Elephants never forget!
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Very interesting thread. I use MWF at least 5-day per week and have never given much thought to which after shave works best with it. Around 90% of the time I apply Floid Blue after I shave. But I've used Speick, Pitralon, and Musgo Real after shaves and they all seemed to work well.

I will have to give this more thought, smell Vs feel.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I was thinking more about aftershave balms, but this is all very interesting!

Last night I found some Trumpers Limes Skin Food, and I will try it out today.

Thanks for the ideas!

- Will
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

MWF scent is Limonel and limon- two industry standards for understated scent.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Many thanks to you, KAV -- that's very useful information.

- Will
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

KAV wrote:MWF scent is Limonel and limon- two industry standards for understated scent.
Good to hear from you Kav -- been awhile.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

KAV wrote:MWF scent is Limonel and limon- two industry standards for understated scent.
Dang it Kav, how do you know this stuff! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CSG

Post by CSG »

I've only recently tried MWF after getting a puck from Lee's Razors. It's really an interesting soap and I'd read somewhere that one guy left some leftover lather on his face while he cleaned up as he felt it made a good balm. I tried it and it was OK but I'm so used to using product like Lubriderm 3 in 1 after a witch hazel and or alum post shave that it felt incomplete.

I do get a slight lemony scent from MWF and I wonder if something like Corn Huskers wouldn't match it reasonably well. CH, as we all know is poor man's GFT skin food.

However, since getting a couple samplers of GFT skin food, I've ordered a bottle of each of the Coral and Sandalwood. I'm hopelessly in love with both. Unlike CH, they don't finish oily on my skin and they smell marvelous.

Bottom line is I think a guy can use whatever he likes as an aftershave balm to MWF. It's nice soap and different from all the rest.