Counterfeit fragrances

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Paul12644

Counterfeit fragrances

Post by Paul12644 »

Just before Christmas, I purchased for myself a 4 oz. bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed for around $100., considerably less than one would expect to pay for this fragrance.

This morning I'm reading a post on the other board about fake fragrances so I decide to look into it a little more carefully. Sure enough, after examining the box and bottle and knowing what to look for, I have a fake.

So I get back to the Ebay seller I bought it from and he instantly refunds my money and tells me to keep the fake bottle. I ordered a new 2.5 oz. bottle for more money but from an impeccable source.

I bring this up to warn others about fragrances purchased off E-bay. The 4 oz. black bottles seem to be the ones most counterfeited. Also, the 1 oz. and 2.5 oz. real GIT's only come in the clear glass bottles. There are many black bottle versions on E-bay that are completely fake.
Last edited by Paul12644 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Paul, yes, 4 ounce bottles are the ones faked and Green Irish Tweed and Millisime Imperial being probably the two most. IF you are going to buy Creeds off Ebay, best to head over to basenotes.net and get yourself a good education. THe only ebay seller I trust of Creed is a guy named allshewants, and his prices have had to go up to about $140 for the 4 ounce bottles. Other than that, I go to fragrancenet.com as they have a great return policy.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Even with apparently authentic bottles, I think one must be very careful about the seller. I've seen a number of empty aftershave, EdT, and cologne bottles for sale on eBay, some even with their original box, and I must assume that the buyers of those don't mean to refill them with the real "right stuff."
_______
John
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to follow it in the future. I'm usually very wary about buying when the price is too low to be "reasonable." Sam, thanks for the recommendation of allshewants. Having a reputable seller removes a lot of the worry.
Last edited by Paul12644 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Post by paddy »

this has been going on for years on ebay, and with creed GIT in particular. it's as endemic as fake lacoste polo shirts. the sellers bank on most folks not knowing what GIT actually smells like as it is usually their first purchase of it. the buyers use it blissfully unaware that all the while they have been wearing cool water by davidoff.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

For me, now that I've seen this thread, if I were thinking about such an investment in a top line fragrance, I think I would be wise to post here about it before I completed my purchase.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I buy my Creed from our local retailer who orders direct from Creed. It's full retail but I know what I'm getting and they stand behind what they sell.

I have to wonder if the empty bottles on ebay ever held the real stuff.
Regards,
Squire
shlalaw

Post by shlalaw »

Mama Bear sells a replica of GIT: http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=355

I have both the original and this. It's pretty close, maybe a slightly more alcohol tint to it. Good price, though, when compared to the original. There is also an interesting discussion of perfume on the site.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I avoid fake fragrances the easy way- fall in love with the unloved (TOBS #74)
and buy from Phil :whistle:
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I bought a bottle of Le 3rd Homme from an ebay store about a year ago.. Never consided the pssibility of a fake. After may experiences at ebay nothing would surpriise me. I bought the wife a small bottle of Chanel NO. 5 pure parfum fron an Austrailian seller for $65 back then too. I later checked the bottle and it looked authentic but who knows it may have been an old empty.
Ouchmychin (Pete)