So,SWMBO said this am "that's what a man should smell l

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
HAC

So,SWMBO said this am "that's what a man should smell l

Post by HAC »

and "none of those poncy-git scents, that smells nice"

What was I wearing?
First time try out of Proraso aftershave splash, followed up by (wait for it!)..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................Pino Sylvestre...

Cheers
Harold
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Harold, Whatever blows her skirt. I don't wear pine scent well though...even the superb Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet is out of court for me because of it. My former...er....SO said that it made me smell like a "Crimean War dressing station...." . Well, that's what she said.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druphus

Post by druphus »

bernards66 wrote:Harold, Whatever blows her skirt.
Regards,
Gordon
+1 to that!
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

One never knows how a fragrance will be perceived by others. I'm with you on hoping not to offend the wife with a fragrance. Heaven knows I manage to offend her daily in a thousand other ways :shock: . I don't need any additional help in that department from some stinky cologne or after shave. And I take her approval or the absence thereof as a sign of what reaction I might be causing on the next elevator I happen to enter, so I try to please. I didn't have good luck with the Proraso though. I liked it at first, but as time passed, I did not like it, no matter what others might have liked. Not making myself sick is my first objective.

Anecdote: in high school I doused myself stupidly with English Leather one fine day, and as time progressed, I developed the mother of all headaches, and was at a day-long function and couldn't find any way to wash off this hideous torture fragrance. Never ever got close to that stuff again, and to this day I still have that bottle, I guess just to remind myself of the dangers associated with certain fragrances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gordon,
Your first act now should be to buy some Blenheim Bouquet and revel, no wallow, in it!

BTW, interesting to an amateur linguist that an Albertan should use the word 'git'. Obviously a slow-spreading meme with legs. It was a derogatory term in my childhood playgrounds in the sixties.

Chris
Deaf git.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my childhood, when we got really angry at one of the neighbor kids, the meanest thing we could think of to say was a sharp "GIT HOME!!!". Once that volley had been levelled at the offending party, usually the other side would counter with an equally loud "NO YOU GIT HOME!!!" It usually ended with both parties having a fist fight or --- going home .:cry:

Gordon, slather yourself with Penhaligon's, man. Freedom is a wonderful experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
HAC

Post by HAC »

drmoss_ca wrote:Gordon,
Your first act now should be to buy some Blenheim Bouquet and revel, no wallow, in it!

BTW, interesting to an amateur linguist that an Albertan should use the word 'git'. Obviously a slow-spreading meme with legs. It was a derogatory term in my childhood playgrounds in the sixties.

Chris
Deaf git.
Ah.. but she's of Yorkshire descent.. :D and we're both old enough to remember "git" as a dergatory term in our youth.. Grandad was a lanky, and "poncy-git" was one of his epithets.. We knew the term before it ever was a meme..
HAC

Post by HAC »

Chris
Deaf git.
Oddly enough, I have tried BB, and SWMBO actually prefers the Pino.. besides, it lasts a lot longer on me, and is cheaper by a factor of 5..
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

HAC wrote:

Chris
Deaf git.
Ah.. but she's of Yorkshire descent.. :D and we're both old enough to remember "git" as a dergatory term in our youth.. Grandad was a lanky, and "poncy-git" was one of his epithets.. We knew the term before it ever was a meme..
I have used git since Monty Python and The Young Ones first introduced it to me in my younger days. I was introduced to poncy-git more recently, albiet a few years back, when I befriended a man from the north of England and then worked for a British company for a time (I have noticed a number of countries have a north vs. south thing going).
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris and Gary, Well, thanks for the encouragement, but in truth I sort of agreed with her....not in those strong a terms mind you, but Blenheim really doesn't seem to agree with my body chemistry very well. I absolutely love the opening notes, but the dry down does start to smell rather medicinal on me after a bit. It's a shame. With more lavender and less pine it would probably be a real winner for me. Sigh....well, I make do as best I can with English Fern.
Regards,
Gordon
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I have taught my sons (aged 7 & 9) to call each other gits. It delights me to hear what they think of as a devastating exchange of insults punctuated with a withering, dissmissive "Git"!

- Will
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Sylvestre is one of my all time favourites. It was my first purchase at Trumper. I wore it for years and still have a bit stashed away. Why the discontinued it is beyond me...............

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bill, Well yes, I know that you loved it. The Trumper version though was a bit different from the cologne that Harold's wife is so smitten with. Still, it definately did have a decided pine note in it. Like Blenheim, I could wear it but it wasn't quite 'right' for me personally. But yeah, why did they discontinue it?... or Wild Fern in proper bottles, or the old Harris's A/S Milk, or.....sigh...THAT list goes on and on.
Regards,
Gordon
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Gordon,

And don't forget Fougena!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

Pino has stood the test of time for good reason; I love the scent!