Scent on clothing?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Scent on clothing?

Post by KAV »

I was reading a older book on gentlemen's grooming, ettiquete and clothing.
It suggested applying scents to collar,cuffs and handkerchief. I tried this, and was amazed how much longer my AS lasted. My cleanest dirty shirt from last Thursday leaning against the wall still has a wiff of # 74 :shock:
I still prefer scent to skin, but it is interesting. NOTE: natural fibers like cooton, notplastic hoodies puleeze.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yep, this is standard practice with me. I always hit my shirt with some and it lasts and lasts. I also dab behind the ears. Good stuff.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Try this with cologne too? I do notice that my shirt collar and sometimes my cuffs smell like the cologne I had on that day and it does last.

One time, there was an upper end men's store in Memphis (Julius Lewis) and a cologne salesman spritzed my hair and my shirt with cologne. I thought he was out of his mind, but he insisted I would smell it longer and on the clothes and hair, it would smell as it was out of the bottle and not change during the day.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wouldn't cologne sprayed on clothing smell slightly different from that which interacts with personal chemistry on the skin?

I would imagine that this varies considerably from individual to individual, but I would also guess that in some cases there could be some incompatibility.

I don't wear cologne, so I can't speak to this from personal experience, but from what I've read here, I'm surprised that no one has remarked about it (possibly because the difference isn't significant).

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good point Murray but the scent does carry. A friend of mine bought a vintage Corvette from an estate but then sold it because the interior had been permeated by the previous owner's cologne.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Smart retailers are using small cotton paper strips to spray a scent on with the name for customers to keep. The last time clerk sprayed me with cologne I threatened to scent mark my territory on his counter. :lol:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Like Chris, I use this technique as well, but with a light hand. A little on the cuffs and shirt front and sometimes a quick run down the back of my hair with whatever little bit may still be on my hand after applying to the sides of my neck. For some reason I don't think I've ever mentioned this before on the forum, probably because I viewed it as a minor personal quirk, but yes, I do do that.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have the same reaction as Mr Bean to perfumes and colognes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMlYBdDRjE
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paddy

Post by paddy »

Wouldn't cologne sprayed on clothing smell slightly different from that which interacts with personal chemistry on the skin?
yes. cologne and edts are designed by the parfumiers to be worn on the skin and the scent radiates and develops via your body heat's interaction with the oils both on your skin and in the edt itself.

therefore the scent on clothes smells not as the designer intended it and the scent itself will not develop during the wearing as it would compared to if it were applied to the skin.

as for myself i never apply scent to clothing; only on to skin.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.