The Royall Line of Aftershaves -Where have they gone?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
BullGoose
Vendor

The Royall Line of Aftershaves -Where have they gone?

Post by BullGoose »

When I first started on the boards, the Royall line of aftershaves was all the rage, especially Royall Limes , Royall Vetiver, and Royall Bay Rum. You could only get it at a few places (Vintage Blades and maybe Smallflower) and it was going for around $55.00 per bottle plus shipping. Everybody seemed to have a bottle and those who didn't have one sought them out on the B/S/T.

Fast forward a bit and Royall introduced a few more scents (Mandarin, Spice) and the aftershaves became readily available on Ebay, Amazon and even at discount Brick and Mortar stores such as TJMax. The same exact aftershave, the exact same packaging but with prices at less than half the original MSRP. Funny, now that it is both readily available and more affordable, you never hear of it anymore. Strange how that happens.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
numcks

Post by numcks »

Still very good stuff though...
Cheers,
Mike
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Still widely available, I see it here in town at Brooks Brothers, Merz and of all places Orvis. My favorites are Lyme, Vetyver and their new introduction Rugby.
Good shaving,

Gary
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

gsgo wrote:My favorites are Lyme, Vetyver and their new introduction Rugby.
Rugby? That does not conjur up a nice scent to me. Hopefully it does not smell like a combination of sweat and Bengay. :lol:

Seriously though...can you describe the scent? That is a new one to me.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Phil, you can check it out at:

www.royalllymebermuda.com

I liked it, seemed a little more modern and had a bit more complexity than some of their single note colognes. I treat them more as cologne sprays than aftershaves but in the summer after I put on my Thayers I like a good spray of Royall Lyme!
Good shaving,

Gary
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

gsgo wrote:Phil, you can check it out at:

www.royalllymebermuda.com

I liked it, seemed a little more modern and had a bit more complexity than some of their single note colognes. I treat them more as cologne sprays than aftershaves but in the summer after I put on my Thayers I like a good spray of Royall Lyme!
I use the Royall Lymes as either an after shower splash or an as aftershave in the summer. It is very nice and I am a bit befuddled why it is no longer discussed much on the boards.

I also have the Royall Bay Rhum which I do not use very often.

- Phil
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Phil,

Yes, I would say that we don't say much about them here at SMF and I really don't see much at the other forms that I try and read. The guys over at Orvis say they sell through their stock fairly well especially during the holiday season.

When I buy, I usually look for the boxes from Bermuda as there is a licensee here in the US making them as well, I have never noticed any difference between them but you know how that goes with us shavers.

Never really use it directly as an aftershave as I find it a little to bracing for my liking. I do notice a few guys liking the Muske and Spyce, their Bay Rhum has never really done it for me.
Good shaving,

Gary
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

gsgo wrote: their Bay Rhum has never really done it for me.
Yes, I find the Bay Rhum a bit too medicinal for my taste. Yet I have this big honkin 8 OZ bottle so have to try and work it in occasionally. :)

- Phil
Gene

Post by Gene »

I last saw this at either the local Whole Foods market, or one of it's competitors, a local Fresh Market.

Pretty sure it was Whole Foods.

Seemed a bit expensive? More than $20 for a bottle.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Both bottles of the Bay Rhum I've owned were acquired via various B/S/T threads in different forums, now I'm down to half a bottle. I concur Phil, lotsa radio silence of late. I actually use it as a post workout shower body spritz at the gym (incidentally from one of your blue atomizer bottles). Fellows in the locker room remark that it smells "purty good" but wince at the price compared to the drugstore junk they buy.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
nelson

Royall scents

Post by nelson »

Back in the mid 80s I used on occasion the Lyme, Bay Rhum, and Spyce. I began to drift away from them in the early 90s. I never thought to use them as aftershaves (and I wouldn't today, either). I liked all three of them reasonably well, but I found other more or less comparable products I like more. If I were to receive one of them as a gift, I wouldn't turn it down or throw it away; however I simply now prefer other brands in each of those scent classes.

nelson
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The Royall line with Guerlain Imperiale were the scents that broke me from the family alpha-omega use of Old Spice. The bay rum came with an actual bay leaf before licensing in the USA. I noticed just before the internet became a market resource local B&M stores ran the price up on both of those names.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Just used the Royall Lymes today and it is excellent.

Every now and then I go through periods where I use this for weeks on end. Love the freshness of it.

Chris