Bay Rum

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Jonnieboy61

Bay Rum

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Thinking of buying some Bay Rum aftershave/cologne and would appreciate some advise as to which brand to get. I'm currently looking at TOBS and DR Harris, but there maybe others out there that I have never considered.

Your comments would be appreciated as always
John
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

For aftershave purposes the best I have come across is Superior 70, has the best combination of scent and post shave soothing and is relatively inexpensive making it a great value. I use it as a summer aftershave or after shower splash.

It is light and will dissipate so I would not consider it a cologne, seems there are plenty available for that purpose, do a quick search on Bay Rum and plenty of info will come up. I think there is a guy over on Straight Razor Place who seems to be a Bay Rum Guru who has some good threads on Bay Rum.

Bay Rum to me summons classic wet shaving, especially if you like the scent.
Good shaving,

Gary
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

gsgo wrote:For aftershave purposes the best I have come across is Superior 70, has the best combination of scent and post shave soothing and is relatively inexpensive making it a great value. I use it as a summer aftershave or after shower splash.

It is light and will dissipate so I would not consider it a cologne, seems there are plenty available for that purpose, do a quick search on Bay Rum and plenty of info will come up. I think there is a guy over on Straight Razor Place who seems to be a Bay Rum Guru who has some good threads on Bay Rum.

Bay Rum to me summons classic wet shaving, especially if you like the scent.
Thanks Gary

Ill take a look at this.
John
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Bay Rum is like it's potable brother. There are many varieties from inexpensive to reserve bottlings. You can get a lot of 'bang for the buck'
from the large Stephen's plastic bottles to the delightfully different witch hazel based Ogalallas and on to the heavenly MEEHANS handblended offering.
These are only a handfull of the varieties. Do a search the older posts for lots of information or just wait for the brand champions to post fresh splashes of experience.
Last edited by KAV on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dominica bay rum with lime is my favourite, and a great bargain too.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

I am partial to the Ogallala Bay Rum/Sandlewood myself. I got mine at Bullgoose, and it's in my top 3 for regular use.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I like the Ogallala Bay Rum/Sandalwood also, but the Dominica looks tempting for the price. I don't suppose that bottle is glass, is it Chris?

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

To me, the best bay rums available are the D R Harris's and the St. John's. Both are rather expensive for a bay rum and entirely acceptable versions can be gotten cheaper but those two are the top of the tree IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
nelson

ToOBS and D R Harris Bay Rums

Post by nelson »

I'm a bit surprised that the Taylor Bay Rum generates virtually no buzz whenever the topic of bay rums comes up. I bought an 8-oz. plastic bottle about a year and a half ago on "spec", primarily to bring an order up to the amount qualifying for free shipping and have been quite pleased with the scent, mildly spicy but without the heavy dose of cloves found in some products. I don't recommend it as an after shave product, though to be honest there are very few alcohol-based after shaves that I would ever put on my face and even then infrequently. All things considered, this one is a keeper.

I recently ordered and received a 4-oz. bottle of the D R Harris bay rum after shave. Why? Don't really know except it is something I wanted to try. This is one bay rum that for me works well as an aftershave and is one I'm willing to put on my face every now and then. The scent is very pleasant, although a bit less intense and "punchy" than the Taylor product upon initial application, but, like the Taylor, works well as a cologne or splash

I'm not an authority on bay rums like some fellas are. I've used bay rum for over 40 years. This includes a bunch of store brands, very cheap and pleasant, and such brands as Royall and St. Johns (this one emerged as my favorite) and the little remembered Crabtree & Evelyn brand from the 80s, which was quite nice. I've had no experience with Ogallah, Dominica, Masters, Meehan, etc. Did buy a bottle of Clubman; it isn't for me at all.

Nelson
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Once again; if you hate plastic as I, Ogallala sells their cobalt blue glass bottles with stoppers.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Cheers Guys

Looks like I may need to get a few samples and try before I buy, but I'm not a great lover of plastic bottles and would prefer the more traditional Victorian style glass versions.

I suppose if the product was good enough I could always re-bottle it.

Thanks again.
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John, for a samples option Barclays sells bay rum sampler kits, I think. It's a great scent to explore.

Chris
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

St. Lucia Bay Rum.

Terry
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Bay Rum is a world unto itself. I have sampled many and do have favourites. My advice (as mentioned above) is to try Barclay Crocker's sample pack.

There are numerous cottage vendors that have great products - I am not sure if Scott (the Captain) still checks in here - he has a great aftershave - Captains Choice. Ogallala is another excellent product. For me the english lines have fine Bay Rums, though for return on the $, I fine the smaller guys to be a better purchase.

A word of caution - for me it became an addiction (another addiction on top of the general shaving acquisition disorder).

Enjoy the ride.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I own three:

Superior 70 (sweet and simple, ridiculously low price if you can find it)
Dominica with Limes (sour type and very nice. Great vacation island too)
Meehans (this is more of a cologne but it is very good)

In the summer I bounce back and forth between bay rum and St. Johns West Indian Limes.

Bay Rum is one of the most pleasant aspects of wetshaving imho.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I will say this: practically every day, no matter if I wear a scent or not, I use bay rum as an aftershave (Dominica regular is my daily choice). It is simply, for me, the best aftershave.

Chris
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, looks like Bay Rum is real popular among many here. Gives me plenty to think about.
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nelson, Yeah, it hasn't been mentioned in some time but I too thought that the old C&E Bay Rum was one of the very best I ever tried. It also was not particularly expensive at the time and was exquisitely packaged. Some of their other colognes from that era were also nice. Their East Indian Spice & Lemon was almost a dead ringer for Penhaligon's Lords/Douro at a fraction of the price.
Regards,
Gordon
changabang

Post by changabang »

KAV wrote:Once again; if you hate plastic as I, Ogallala sells their cobalt blue glass bottles with stoppers.
Cork stoppers? Is this a special order? Even with the plastic screw on caps, the elixir is exquisite. My favorite bay rum by far.
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Glass stopper the last time I checked but they may offer cork as well. The bottle is sold with or without a label.
Regards,
Squire