Bay Rum

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks, Squire. When mine runs out, I think I'll do that.
James Nicks
shlalaw

Post by shlalaw »

I have tried at least a dozen different brands. Currently, my daily driver is Dominica, and cologne is Meehan Bay Rhum. I also have some Superior which I use when I run out of rubbing alcohol (65%).
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't recall if I still have my bottle of Domenica, it was OK, but the two Bay Rums I am currently using often are Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, and Krampert's Finest, made by Brian (ShadowsDad). I haven't yet had an opportunity to try Captain's Choice, another newcomer on the market. I do enjoy the good healthy burn I get from the Pinaud, and the fragrance of Krampert's is spot on, and the ingredients are very good on the face.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Glad you like it Gary. I was wondering because I know how sensitive your nose is.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I just got home from dinner after work with the wife, and found on my kitchen counter the order I placed with Ogallala just Monday. As this is my first foray into the world of bay rum scents, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find that along with the sample bay rum cologne and shaving soap sample variety pack that I ordered, John had included extra sample bottles of his choosing. After showering my day off, I chose to try the bay rum aftershave, as I assumed it would be a bit lighter in scent just because of what it is. I put plenty on, and wow.... I really like this stuff. I was a bit concerned about the witch hazel scent that appears to be evident if you take a whiff directly from the bottle, but once it was on my skin a split second, it completely disappeared.. at least to me. I'm looking forward to trying the soap samples, and the rest of the samples that John so generously sent. Now, bay rum isn't what I would call a "sexy" scent, but manly, retro and clean, I think so.

Very pleased with this vendor, and it seems I have found another scent I'm quite fond of. Once again, thanks SMF crew for helping me to make yet another informed decision.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
dosco

Post by dosco »

brothers wrote:I don't recall if I still have my bottle of Domenica, it was OK, but the two Bay Rums I am currently using often are Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, and Krampert's Finest, made by Brian (ShadowsDad). I haven't yet had an opportunity to try Captain's Choice, another newcomer on the market. I do enjoy the good healthy burn I get from the Pinaud, and the fragrance of Krampert's is spot on, and the ingredients are very good on the face.
+1 on Krampert's Finest. He has a version with menthol that I really enjoy.
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Bay Rum is a must and I am glad to hear that so many out there agree.

For me I like so many but St. John's is the best - fragrance wise.
Number two would be Captain Smith's 'Spiced' Bay Rum. So good...

Ogallala is up there and so are Dominica and St. Lucia. Pinaud went straight to the trash... yuck.

I have Meehan's at work for when I need a refresher. It is a cologne for me and not an AS splash. At one point I have about 10 different Bay Rum varieties in my shave drawer. I have used up 7 and am almost at two. Time for another order...

Bay Rum. I love it.
笑う門に福来る。
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

just got gifted a bottle of Krampert's Finest, made by Brian (ShadowsDad).

we made a trade and i feel i came out the winner.

at the time of the deal, i had not known brian makes this stuff.
when i recieved the bottle i tried google and only found posts about it on shaving forums

i'm not a big aftershave guy. clubman and sometimes skin food many times nothing.

the scent is so nice and it stays with me longer than other aftershaves
but the real deal is how my skin feels after i use it. wow wow wow

im a beleiver
marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Marc, thanks for the kind words. We're both happy with the trade (thumbs up emoticon here). I have a fantastic razor head and you have a great BR each gifted to the other. That was my intent. I wanted you to feel happy with the trade. The razor head will have a good home.

I really try to make the BR the best I possibly can. Yeah, I know every company says the same crap, but I'm not a company. Every bottle has my name on it and that's really all we have in this world IMO. Yeah, I'm one of those folks who does business on handshake.

It just completed it's 2nd reformulation to keep the feds out of my business, and that reformulation offers more than the original formula that I made for myself and that you have in hand (I think I sent you my original formula). In a few weeks my plan is to open national sales on my site. But I have quite a bit to do between now and then. Those things need to be complete before I can do anything. Like having enough product on hand; that's a really good first step. :)

FWIW, the reformulation is so good (IMO) that I won't even make the original formula anymore; not for me or anyone else. It won't be missed by anyone; I guarantee it!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I don't care for lingering scents, which is why I've used the Superior 70 in the (distant) past. I recall the Dominica Limes was okay but the "sour" note to it bothered me a bit, so would consider going with the regular Dominica next time.

Every so often I consider getting back into the hunt and trying to rediscover the identity of my father's old bay rum brand, but I'm pretty bushed looking.

All the best on your bay rum business, Brian.
Ron
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Tried some Krampert's Finest, new formulation, and it's excellent. I don't know what the half-life of the scent is supposed to be, but I have no problems with it as I do so many other brands. Well-engineered brew. Thanks, Brian.
Ron
slackskin

Bay Rum

Post by slackskin »

Gabel's is a long-time barbershop staple and my personal favorite. About $12 for a 16-ounce bottle, so the price is right. It's in a plastic bottle, but for the price it can't very well be in glass. Scent is refined, not overpowering, and it stays around for a while. Get it from your barber or order (on sale $10.74 + shipping) from http://www.amazon.com/GABELS-After-Shav ... B000EVIVYW
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Here's the Gabels in a gallon jug!!!

http://www.amazon.com/GABELS-Lotion-Ori ... _sbs_hpc_6
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
dosco

Post by dosco »

I picked up a bottle of Pinaud Bay Rum whilst on a day-long adventure (mostly sitting around waiting for my kid to finish an athletic training thing). There is a beauty store nearby the place where the training occurs, was able to purchase a bottle for about $7.00.

Used it for the first time this morning.

1. Feel the burn!! I suspect it was the alcohol burning. We'll see what happens after the next shave.

2. Nice scent, I wonder why I had never known about Bay Rum as a younger man. I only learned of it after joining this forum.

3. Good stuff, but IMO the scent of Krampert's Finest beats it by a long shot.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i'm getting addicted to Krampert's Finest

doesnt sting, nice scent and leaves my skin feeling great all day..

what else could anyone ask for?

marc
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

+1
Ron
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

When funds allow, I'd like to try Ogallala, Kramperts, and Captains Choice.

Right now I'm using Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum and enjoying every application. I use it, and every other aftershave, only at and below the jawline.
Ed
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have quite a collection of the low cost bay rums, including Superior 70. My favorite is the heaviest aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island. I love the smell but the females in my life hate it because it is "too strong" and "it smells like pumpkin pie". Oh well, I wear it anyway once in a while when I am in the mood.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I've always been a bay rum lover.
JEFF
dosco

Post by dosco »

Ouchmychin wrote:I have quite a collection of the low cost bay rums, including Superior 70. My favorite is the heaviest aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island. I love the smell but the females in my life hate it because it is "too strong" and "it smells like pumpkin pie". Oh well, I wear it anyway once in a while when I am in the mood.
So it's been a while, and I now have several aftershaves in my rotation.

I use the Pinaud Virgin Island about once a week.

FEEL THE BURN!! Not sure what the deal is, but straight ethyl rubbing alcohol (from CVS) burns less.

The scent is very heavy and long lasting, lately I've taken to cutting it way down with rubbing alcohol. Even so, the scent lingers ALL DAY which I find a bit annoying.