4711 Original Eau Du Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

bernards66 wrote:Bruno, If you did then you were fortunate. What they sell now as 'Extra Vielle' is not the same although they make it sound like it is. When Roger & Gallet was still an independent perfumer the bottle was shaped differently and the 'Jean Maria Farina' signiture was more prominent on the label. It was very similiar to the 4711 but I liked it a bit better. The last of it was probably bottled in the 1980s, maybe the early '90s. Roger & Gallet started up in the 1860s and bought the receipe from one of the Farinas who had been making it in Paris for decades at that point. There are complicated debates ( and legal suits ) regarding these formulas going all the way back to the 1700s.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I just looked at the bottle of Roger & Gallet and it is indeed the 'extra vielle'. I guess it is the newer stuff, although it's not a bad scent and seems to linger a little longer than the 4711.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Well it does linger a little longer because it is not a genuine old time 'eau de cologne', but a somewhat more modern type scent. The original Roger & Gallet/Jean Maria Farina stuff had about the same staying power as 4711. It was a great scent however. If I could find some more I'd probably buy it.
Regards,
Gordon
John N.

Post by John N. »

I very much like the light citrus scent of 4711, and as a result have both the AS and cologne. Since the scent does not last very long I apply the cologne first (splash & light rub in the chest area) then put a liberal amount of the AS in my still slightly wet cologne hand and apply as usual. The scent lingers for 4 or 5 hours and I feel fully refreshed 8) .
J.
John N.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

ok I got the sample from Connaught Shaving. It is nice smell but I think I still prefer Ogallala Bay rum and TOBS Jermyn St A/S.

Now I want to try Harris Pink A/S and Japanese MG5
Jack
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Just so that you are aware; D R Harris's Pink AS also has a very fleeting fragrance. Those of us who use it regularly, like myself, generally do so for the after shaving soothing quality of the product, not for the scent. For scent, I use various colognes.
Regards,
Gordon
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Thanks to Paul at Connaught he did me a deal on the monster 400ml bottle of Pink.......love it

Thanks Paul
John
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

I have used 4711 for 40 years. It is fleeting but I use it in lieu of deodorant. When I heat up I can smell a whiff. I also use the R&G Farina scent and it IS a bit different in that it has a bit of a clove scent. The 4711 can be had for very little if you buy the 800 ml splash.
Rudley

Post by Rudley »

:lol: On a hot, humid day it cools and refreshes. Often available in the 400 ml bottle @ Christmas Tree Shops for under $20.00. It is light and not long-lasting, but when I'm out on an extended moto-journey, a 10ml atomizer filled with the stuff is a nice refresher when I stop. Also do this with the Floid Blue!!

Rudley