4711 Original Eau Du Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
celar36

4711 Original Eau Du Cologne

Post by celar36 »

Somebody used? Any opinions about smell?

Thanks
Jack
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

It a classic german, floral scent. It was issued to U-Boat crews in WW2 to counter the stench. the resulat was even worse and most saved it to bring home on leave for their wives or sweethearts.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Cheers, I think I will stay with Ogallala Bay Rum and try japanese MG5 A/S :)
Jack
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's one of the original colognes Jack, been around a couple hundred years or so. It's a light, fleeting citrus compound that's not as popular as in the past due in part I believe because it is perceived as old fashioned. I wouldn't hesitate to use it and it can be found for a good price.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I really like the aftershave. It is not lingering but smells nice to me while it lasts. Can't say about the EdC, but have heard it not much stronger.
Regards,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

What is another older cologne with a year for part of the name? Seems like it 18 something with name with it....
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

4711 is one of the few genuine classic 'eau de colognes', that is, cologne water as in Cologne, Germany. This particular receipe goes back to the 1790s but it's antecedents go back farther. This type of scent was probably first concocted in northern Italy and Santa Maria Novella in Florence still offer a version that they say dates back to the 1600s. Members of the Farina family first started selling it in Cologne around 1700 or so. Originally it was sold primarily as an internal medicine. Later, due partially to Napoleonic tax codes, it came to be used as only scent. So, as you can see, it has a long and complicated history ( which can be further pursued on the internet if you're interested ). Personally I like this style of scent even though it IS very light and fleeting. My own favourite was the one formally offered by Roger & Gallet but once that old firm was bought out they changed the scent unfortunately. I thought 4711 was almost as good. The standard splash bottle has not changed in my lifetime and as Squire pointed out, it still can be had at a reasonable price.

Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

If is light scent I might try it due my fiancee is very against strong one. However, she likes Ogallala Bay Rum but I need to be careful with it

It have definitely interesting story. They say is mother of Eau Du Colognes interesting.
Jack
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

seems like something to own, if only just for the history!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, i found a huge bottle (15 ounces I think), barely used, of 4711 ICE (slight menthol content) at an estate sale two or three years ago. (I haven't used the original 4711, but I assume they are similar if not identical.) The fragrance is very pleasant and as Squire and Gordon have stated, it is light and fleeting. The big old splash bottle with the pretty label is quite handsome and looks great on the shelf!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Last year I found one of the last giant bottles of pre-reformulation for SWMBO. Damme if she didn't decide the Farina is better...

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I just bought my second 800 ml bottle of the stuff. Nice scent, but it doesn't last too long. So I use it as an aftershave mainly, just got to get used to the little extra sting though.
Gordon, I did find some Roger & Gallet cologne that I can swear is very similar to the 4711 and it too is a fleeting scent. I love all citrus scented colognes, aftershaves, etc.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We should be mindful also that these early colognes were developed as body washes in those days before indoor plumbing. Still work for that purpose today but I shower first.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Squire-Like I posted above- being able to shower helps.
brothers

Post by brothers »

U boat!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris I knew a guy who joined the Navy and served in submarines since the 1950s. I asked him once on how they handled human scents on those old diesel subs and he just smiled and shrugged.
Regards,
Squire
KAV

Post by KAV »

I was the last coxswain on the last SAR run of the last 36' MLB still in commission. They had a forward crewman cockpit little bigger than a 55 gallon trashcan called 'the glory hole.' It was SOP initiation to take a new crewman so postitioned out over the northwest coast 'bars' and hit big breakers head on( the only way to hit one really) and let them feel several tonnes of water hit.
It was good training for taking hard rolls and much like the scene in Das Boot when they were surface running in the storm and the second officer was screaming his head off.
I took a 44' waverley class out next- a boat with lots of voids that all STANK of bilge. I eventually rolled one 360 degrees and ended my career.
It's nice, being able to CHOOSE how and what one smells =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

KAV wrote:It's nice, being able to CHOOSE how and what one smells =D>
I'm so grateful for the little things!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, If you did then you were fortunate. What they sell now as 'Extra Vielle' is not the same although they make it sound like it is. When Roger & Gallet was still an independent perfumer the bottle was shaped differently and the 'Jean Maria Farina' signiture was more prominent on the label. It was very similiar to the 4711 but I liked it a bit better. The last of it was probably bottled in the 1980s, maybe the early '90s. Roger & Gallet started up in the 1860s and bought the receipe from one of the Farinas who had been making it in Paris for decades at that point. There are complicated debates ( and legal suits ) regarding these formulas going all the way back to the 1700s.
Regards,
Gordon
LouisIII

Re: 4711 Original Eau Du Cologne

Post by LouisIII »

celar36 wrote:Somebody used? Any opinions about smell?

Thanks
4711 turns up periodically in TK MAXX - very inexpensive, and there's usually a tester bottle to have a sniff of. I had a wee sample of it - wish liked it more, the history and mystique of its quite appealing.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~