Alum Block = Alzheimer's?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Mr. Choo-Choo

Alum Block = Alzheimer's?

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

I have recently been enjoying Alum both as an "aftershave" (rub on, wait a minute, rinse) and under my pits too as an effective deodorant. I am wondering if anyone here has researched the connection between Alum(inium) and Alzheimer's, and satisifed their curiousity as to whether the long term use of Alum is safe or not. I love the stuff, but don't want to be any more incompetent than I already am. :shock: Thanks!
Mr. Choo-Choo

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

Wow, no replies. I actually shouldn't be surprised as the research connecting Aluminum and Alzheimer's is inconclusive, and we all have to make our own decision as to whether or not to use Alum(inum). As much as I enjoyed it I decided to give up my Alum as there are alternatives available.

Mod, you can delete this post if you'd like. I hate seeing it all lonely at the top.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

CC all my reading has negated any connection aluminum and Alzheimers. I think it is essentially a genetically inherited disease. It can be triggered by outside events like what happened to former President Reagan but he had the genetic predisposition to begin with. Outside of stuff like that I don't think there's any increased susceptibility to contracting the disease.

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Didn't see this until now.

To the best of my knowledge most alum blocks are a form of potassium alum. The styptic pencil is aluminum alum.

I think the aluminum connection needs more study, but from what I've heard there are higher levels of aluminum found in Alzheimer brains.

I think you have more to be concerned about with aluminum when eating out. Lots of restaurants have aluminum pots and high acid foods react with the metal.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I think it's safe.

I actually thought the natural alum that we use for deodorant and after shaving is the safe form; the concern is with the stuff that it is traditional drugstore antiperspirants, and even there the link has not been conclusively established.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

alum = a mineral

aluminum = a metal
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

RazoRock wrote:alum = a mineral

aluminum = a metal
alum + a cold water rinse = great final step before aftershave rituals.

ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?