100ml of Skin Food, nine months later.

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
ichabod
Mackem

100ml of Skin Food, nine months later.

Post by ichabod »

This morning as I was tipping the 100ml bottle of Trumper's Limes Skin Food upside down to get the last (or possibly second or third to last) application out of it, I noticed I'd written 10/24/2011 on the bottom of the bottle.

I enjoy data, and I try to keep track of when I start using things, but nine months?

Shaving an average of 6+ days a week (I skip the occasional Sunday, but not all), gives a very loose calculation of 200+ days of shaves. That would mean I use 0.5ml a day, or a tenth of a teaspoonful.

That's pretty long lasting.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Raag

Post by Raag »

It's pretty amazing, and arguably my favourite shaving product. Shaving 3 days a week here (and only my neck as I keep some facial hair on my cheeks) it doesn't ever feel like it's going to run out.
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/
Australian stockist of guys' shaving and grooming gear.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just replenished my supply with 100ml bottles of both limes and sandalwood. I get the 200ml bottle of coral and split that with my middle son. He loves the coral, and for the first time this past weekend used the limes and quickly became a convert. Now if I could just get him to put down the canned goo and his cartridge razor ....... :wink:

He's a good lad, he'll come around. #1 son informed me a couple of months ago that when he decides to start to shave again fully (he has a full beard now for many years) that he is interested in investigating a DE razor. I told him that I have a Tech waiting for him -- all he has to do is say the word.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dominic, Yeah, definately. A 100ml. bottle of Pink lasts me exactly four months only. BTW, good to hear from you.
Regards,
Gordon
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

The good news - the 500ml bottle costs about half as much per ml as does the 100ml bottle. So if you like Skin Food, this is the way to go. West Coast Shaving sells the 100ml for $26 and the 500ml for $65, so do the math. I imagine it is available from other vendors as well.

If you like Skin Food, does this make you a Foodie? :D :D
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Check pricing elsewhere before you buy the large bottle from anyone -- Phil at Bullgoose sells the large bottles of skinfood for only $38 vs $26 for the small bottle. This is pretty much the price-point I have always purchased it at.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

$38 for 500ml? I am all over it next time. I think I have the 200ml bottles, and they last me 18 months or so
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:$38 for 500ml? I am all over it next time. I think I have the 200ml bottles, and they last me 18 months or so
Uhuh ---- http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/geoftrcoskfo1.html

Em's Place is more at $41.95 -- http://www.emsplace.com/grooming/geo_f_ ... tries.aspx

And for us Canadians -- Fendrihan is only a couple of bucks more expensive -- http://www.fendrihan.com/trumper-coral- ... p-797.html

Both do free shipping for minimum order purchases ... been my choice of supply for some time now.

I can't imagine that someone would spend more than what some of our members and well known suppliers charge.
Wendell

Ken

Post by Ken »

Just to clarify, $38 buys you 200 ml, not 500.

Ken
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ken wrote:Just to clarify, $38 buys you 200 ml, not 500.

Ken
Duh is me --- 500ml bottles of skin food .... really????? :shock:

200 ml of coral will last me a year when I split it with #2 son and have all the smaller sizes of the limes and sandalwood.
Wendell

m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Another GFT Limes skin food convert here. With the obvious exception of TOBS Victorian Line, my shelf of aftershaves wail in their current state of neglect. :)
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
mikey

Post by mikey »

A 100-ml bottle of Trumper Skin Food will last me a year. Recently, I picked up a 75-ml bottle of Clinique Post Shave Healer. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Thanks,
Mike
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i love the coral.

i use it carefully because is it costly. maybe next time ill get the bigger bottle

marc
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

That's good.

I have all three in 100ml bottles and am just getting to the end of a bottle of Coral. It's 14 months old, but it doesn't get used with every single shave.

Gareth
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

My point in mentioning the 500ml bottle (which may last for the rest of ny natural life) is that it makes usage per day pretty cheap, and effectively converts a high-end luxury product into one that is much more affordable.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The only real problem with a 500ml bottle is shelf life. Skin food is notorious for having a somewhat dynamic shelf life. The label states 12 months, I have gotten good life up to 14 months with coral and sandalwood, and as little as 9 months with limes. By that I mean that I have actually had limes go "off" on me once. The consistency broke down and the scent went funny. Only happened with one bottle -- but I have only owned 3 bottles of the limes in the past 6 years - and thus my comment about inconsistent shelf life.
Wendell

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I now have a lovely 200ml bottle with yesterday's date scrawled on the base, courtesy of Bullgoose.

Of course, I just remembered this morning that the reason I bought the 100ml in the past was because I can stuff it in my carry-on shaving kit.

(Now Wendell has me concerned about not using it quickly enough, to boot!)
Dominic
Raag

Post by Raag »

jww wrote:The only real problem with a 500ml bottle is shelf life.
Agreed. I can't see anyone churning through a 500mL bottle of skin food before it began to break down chemically, and I think a bottle that huge would likely lead one to being overly generous with their use, when you only need so little of the product. I'm going to stick to the 100mls and also enjoy being able to travel with them if I need :)
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/
Australian stockist of guys' shaving and grooming gear.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I find that the 200ml size is harder to be so parsimonious with, due to the sheer volume of liquid eager to make its way to my hand. As such, I'll be very surprised if the 200ml lasts twice as long as the 100ml.
(And, of course, I can't fly anywhere until I finish it and get a 100ml :lol: )
Dominic
ichabod
Mackem

Re: 100ml of Skin Food, nine months later.

Post by ichabod »

Well, a quick update on this. The 200ml bottle lasted much longer than I anticipated, in fact until today, which is over two years.

I suppose one reason it lasted well was that I didn't take it on any flights, due to it being too big for carry-on, but that accounts for a measly 35 or so out of the last 730 days.
Dominic