Atelier Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Atelier Cologne

Post by Sam »

I was in the Soho area of NYC and just east of that is an area called NoLita - north of Little Italy. Wife likes that as a lot of newer designers and stores are opening up, some very high end (Rag and Bone, Tory Burch), others just trying to make a name (Roni) and I stumbled on a shave shop on Elizabeth street, ( I need to google it, did not go in) and a cologne store or two. Le Labo was there and the one I went into was called Atelier Cologne.

I had read about them from Basenotes. They use natural ingredients, and they make it in the cologne style, whatever that means, but with higher concentrations so that they last longer. Wife was with me and humored me. She had been in Saks with me and a couple other stores (Paul Smith) and did not like any other offerings, not Spicebomb by Viktor and Rolf, not any Guerlain, not any other Bonds (I do have Bond New York Oud); not the By Killian line, not the Maison Kurkdijian line, not Penhaligons (tried to coax her into Sartorial or Elixir). I think what did it on the Atelier Cologne was the candle that was outside that was putting out such a great smell.

So we go in and they have all of like 10 scents. I ask the sales associate, Ross, to pick out some manly ones. He goes strait to Bois Blond. They had a new one called Vetiver Fatale, and an Amber one called Amber Rue. Trefle Pur was the one my wife liked (she bought a soap in it) as it had clover and reminded me of the Booster scents.

One thing for me is that if I am going to pay twice as much per ounce for a scent than what I would pay in a department store like Macy's, I expect it to last longer, project more, or be totally swept away if if is going to be a short-lived scent. Wife liked Bois Blond the same. Pricing was a bit steep (185 dollars for 200ml so not too bad) but they did have a special. You got a 30ml scent free in a nice glass atomizer, leather holder and both the holder and the leather cap on the 200ml bottle were going to be embossed. I asked for Sam on the holder but he went with my initials and I thought it no big deal.

I wore Ambre Rue two days later and now that one really lasted and projected. I was going to be pissed that the Bois Blond did not last as long as the Ambre Rue. Well, I wore Bois Blond the other day and while it is not a heavy scent, it does last, all day in fact, but more of a personal scent than one that will project.

So right now, I have Chanel Coromandel (patchouli) for my late fall,winter scent, and Creed Green Irish Tweed for when my wife and I go out or she will be with me a lot that day. Acqua di Parma Essenza is a good all around and then Bond #9 New York Oud is when I know I want to project a scent all day - however, a lot of people like it on me. Bois Blond, dont know where it will fit in, but it can be to a business side and as well as casual. Nice thing is, if I wanted to, I can spritz it on when I get home and take wife to dinner and she won't complain that my cologne is too strong.

I think Sephora is going to carry it, right now, the only American store is luckyscent.com. Atelier Cologne is in Paris.

Wife liked Grand Neroli on her and I loved it when the sales associate sprayed one arm with Grand Neroli, let it dry for a minute and then a half spritz of Trefle Pur over it - gave the Grand Neroli a little more depth and I loved it. I may surprise her with the Grand Neroli for Christmas and get the 30ml of Trefle Pur so she can play around with it.
never2close

Post by never2close »

They're sold at Neimans, as well as at a local shop in Houston. The Orange Sanguine is an amazing scent. Very long lasting straight orange cologne. Excellent morning cologne.
Ken
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I just bought their new "Rose Anonyme" fragrance. It's an incredible unisex Rose scent and lasts and lasts!!!!

Chris
never2close

Post by never2close »

fisherc wrote:I just bought their new "Rose Anonyme" fragrance. It's an incredible unisex Rose scent and lasts and lasts!!!!

Chris
Thanks for heads up. I was looking for an additional predominately rose cologne.
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Ah yes...'NoLita'....sigh....I once actually lived in 'NoLita', on Elizabeth Street in fact, only back then the area was known as 'the Bowary'. It wasn't very nice back then....winos had the disconcerting habit of dying right in one's entry way....but there WAS a lot of really potent meth available. Indeed. Well, times change as they say I suppose. I have been back there much more recently and it is, now, as you describe. I swear, I thought that that was one area that would NEVER change; hell, it hadn't in 150 years. Anyway, that barbershop on Elizabeth has been mentioned here before. One of our members even suggested that they actually use real cutthroat razors to do the shaves there. I don't know, personally. I had meant to check it out next time I was in the City but as things are now I don't know as I'll be back in the Big Apple for awhile. Sounds like you and your wife had a good time though. Thanks for the interesting post.
Regards,
Gordon