What gives?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

What gives?

Post by never2close »

I pose this question after liberally applying one of my favorite day fragrances, D.R. Harris Classic Cologne. The longevity of this scent can be measured in minutes, not hours on me. I used to think that was the fate of all citrus based colognes, but I have learned that is not true, since I also use Atelier's Orange Sanguine and it lasts for hours. Is this a quality difference between these two colognes, or is it just me?
Ken
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ken I know that some citrus colognes do not last, and some seem to do much. much better. Acqua di Parma Colonia, first time I wore it, I swear it lasted an hour, but then second time, it lasted 6, 7 hours and maybe more if I sweated.

I tried the Orange Sanguine you have, and you have to realize that Atelier Cologne is trying to make a cologne sort of fragrance (I suspect by that it means lighter, citrusy based) but is using some sort of crafting that makes it last. My Bois Blond is a light scent (when contrasted with Chanel Coromandel or Bond New York Oud, those project like monsters) but it lasts at least 6 hours on me without the sweating.
never2close

Post by never2close »

Sam I hear you. I enjoy all the fragrances that I have acquired (thanks to this forum and Basenotes), but now I'm thinking of turning out fragrances with poor longevity. I see no point in applying a frag and 20 minutes later it appears to be completely gone.
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, It largely depends upon the blend. On the whole, citrus dominant scents do not hang around as long as most others, but as you found out, they can if they are blended with certain other scent componants. D R Harris's Classic Cologne is a very old formula and is essentially a British variant on the Eau de Cologne motif and like all really classic Eau de Cologne formulations ( think 4711 for example ) it is light and doesn't linger that long. Generally, I've noticed that orange based scents often have more staying power, even Harris's Traditional, which seems to be a sort of Eau de Portugal, hangs around longer than their Classic. Penhaligon's Lords/Eau de Portugal has a great deal of staying power on me....lasts for hours and is still basically a citrus based cologne, so it depends.
Regards,
Gordon
mikey

Post by mikey »

Taylor No. 74 Victorian Lime lasts a good long time.

Thanks,
Mike
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Pen’s Blenheim Bouquet has become my personal favorite in the citrus category. It lasts a good 6-8 hours on a warm day. GFT also has good staying power on me, but I’ve become less attracted to it and don’t wear it very often. It used to be my go to, but I guess my taste just evolved or I got bored. I’ll finish up bottle 2 at a slow pace and that will be that. 4711, which is nice, lasts about 5 minutes if I douse myself with it. Winners (TJ Maxx North) had the big bottles on sale a while back, so I bit. No big loss as it was cheap. Would be awesome if it had some staying power.

Pen's Castile is another winner that I prefer to the more bitter ADP, but still has the nice Italian Eau de Cologne vibe.

Taylors Lime is on the list for next spring.