A well rounded collection

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

A well rounded collection

Post by never2close »

If your goal was to create a well rounded cologne collection, how many would it include? I have been using four broad categories as the foundation to my collection: cool weather day, cool weather evening, warm weather day, and warm weather evening. Within each category I am also trying to have a bit of diversity. Feedback would be appreciated. Yes, I have way too much time..........
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeessss...."too much time"....and too much money too I'm thinkin'....sigh. I dunno. I used to have a sizeable collection, although nothing on the order of OCD types like Chris Fisher you understand....but a fair amount. But a number of factors conspired over time to push me toward increasing simplicity. For one thing, regrettably, the weather here has never lent itself to the 'seasonal' fragrance motif even though I'd be prone to that trip if I lived anywhere 'normal'. There are really only two seasons in Tampa; summer and non-summer. If I waited on cool days or nights to wear say Trumpers Spanish Leather a bottle would last a decade easy. Then too, funds are in considerably shorter supply than at some times in the past and I had to leave quite a number of colognes I did have at the old house and can't really afford to replace them. And finally, as time went on I grew to know which scents were really my favourites and I became increasingly inclined to stick with them....even at my current reduced inventory I still have several perfectly fine colognes around that I rarely wear.

But just for the hell of it I'll play out the seasonal thing as if I still lived in NJ and money was not a particular issue.
Spring: Really, Penhaligon's English Fern is all I'd need, day or evening. If I had to add another, maybe the C&S or Trumpers Lavender Water.
Summer: Taylors No 74 Lime, maybe Guerlain Imperial ( if it hasn't been mucked with ) or D R Harris's Freshing Cologne. Perhaps Trumpers Marlborough for 'dress-up'.
Autumn: Trumpers Spanish Leather mostly and Taylor Sandalwood, and Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal
Winter: The same as Autumn with Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet for dressier occasions ( used to be Floris No 89 but the recent version doesn't cut it, IMO...what a shame, it was a lovely gentleman's cologne ).
Really, that would be about it these days.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've never been one to properly appreciate fragrances on a par with those among us who are so fortunate. However, several years ago I listened to Gordon's advice and I can happily say English Fern is on my shelf, and when the season seems appropriate, I'm able to indulge a bit with a few drops. It's going to last me a very long time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
never2close

Post by never2close »

Gordon, I'm exploring the fragrance world with wild abandon. Six months from now I will look at my collection and wonder what I was thinking. Consequently, I've put a hard limit on the absolute number of colognes in my collection and with your help, as well as several others on this forum; I smell damn good!
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Glad to hear it, and glad I've been able to be of some help in your explorations. Yeah, if you don't set an absolute boundry on the size of the stash, or if you don't ( can't? ) adher to it, then it can spiral out of control....I'm talking hundreds of bottles, gents here have gone down that road. Sooo....disipline and descernment. Very good, carry on.
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

Colognes, unlike other ad's that afflict some members of this forum, can truly get out of hand because of the number of different fragrances available. Unlike razors, or even brushes, there are 100's of unique, nicely done fragrances available.
Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh Hell Ken, try 'em all. Seriously, get lots of samples and limit your buying to one new bottle a month. After a few years you'll look at your stash and say 'ok, that's enough'.
Regards,
Squire
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Another, nice discontinued (exhale) one is the American-blended Atkinson's "Royal Briar." I have a bit stashed away and have been wearing it in the cool (near Autumn) Missouri air the past few days. Just wonderful for this time of the year!

Best,
Fitch
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Refresh my memory Fitch, how does Royal Brier smell to you?
Regards,
Squire
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Hi Squire. It's a floral, woodsy, balsamic fragrance. Light spice, floral type scent. It has nice longevity ,but it's not overpowering. I really like it this time of the year and early Winter too! There may be a bit of Atkinsons still out there. If not, then Carroll & Company of Beverly Hills has the rights to it now. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. Some say it is and others...

Hope that helps a little anyway.

Best,
Fitch
never2close

Post by never2close »

F.W. Fitch wrote:Hi Squire. It's a floral, woodsy, balsamic fragrance. Light spice, floral type scent. It has nice longevity ,but it's not overpowering. I really like it this time of the year and early Winter too! There may be a bit of Atkinsons still out there. If not, then Carroll & Company of Beverly Hills has the rights to it now. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. Some say it is and others...

Hope that helps a little anyway.

Best,
Fitch
Sounds very much like what Carroll & Co. are selling.
Ken
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gordon, I'm glad to see I have a couple of the colognes you list. I really love that Trumpers Spanish Leather and I do have a nearly full bottle of the 'old' Floris 89 that is amazing, and I only use it sparingly.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Yeah, I hear you. I dragged out my stash of the old No 89 for as long as I decently could. I especially like the version when it was in the long necked splash bottles and I went through several of those over the years. I do have a bottle of the new version somewhere, in my office stash I think, but that shows you how much I value it....not even sure where it is. Just is not in the same league as the older one IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

the actual version of nº 89 for me is great,but i,m very curious in try the vintage , always read good opinions :shock:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Figaro, Well, according to Mr. Bargepole, the orginal original No 89 had a somewhat herbaly scent. I'll take his word for it, but the one after that and what was sold for many years had a wonderful and subtle scent...and one that on me didn't seem to change much over the hours. The immediate top not was a muted citrus ( including bergamot ), then settling into this soft but masculine mix of rose, sandalwood and other notes. It was REALLY nice stuff, distinctive but understated; gentlemanly but with a hint of sexuality. And back then, it wasn't excessively expensive either.
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Just to contrast the 'old' No 89 formula to the later (or current) one sold. Some nice pics. from members of the past. You can make up your own minds if the color has changed any! Here you can see the great pinch waist 'hourglass' bottles and the long necked ones! I have several bottles of the brilliantine & hair lotion in the same long neck bottles. The color is also the same as the "Toilet Water" pictures, and the scent is pure decadence! I always went for the hair products ,as they were, 'half' the cost of the toilet water/colognes! I have a couple bottles of their "Honey and Flowers" hair lotion in the same long neck bottles too for good measure. Beautiful stuff it once upon a time was...

Best,
Fitch

Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

bernards66 wrote:Figaro, Well, according to Mr. Bargepole, the orginal original No 89 had a somewhat herbaly scent. I'll take his word for it, but the one after that and what was sold for many years had a wonderful and subtle scent...and one that on me didn't seem to change much over the hours. The immediate top not was a muted citrus ( including bergamot ), then settling into this soft but masculine mix of rose, sandalwood and other notes. It was REALLY nice stuff, distinctive but understated; gentlemanly but with a hint of sexuality. And back then, it wasn't excessively expensive either.
Regards,
Gordon
thanks Gordon, but i can see this ultra high prices fo old bottles. :cry:

PD: Fitch I sent about 5 messages and no answer ,if you do not intend to answer just let me know with a PM :wink: , is a little surreal only this :shock:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sigh....yes, that's the stuff...in the bottom photo. I went through several bottles of it as well as the aftershave version. Man, that was nice cologne.
Regards,
Gordon
Zemlya

Re: A well rounded collection

Post by Zemlya »

I've never got into the shaving soap/aftershave/balms/oils/tonics/whatever thing because my skin tends to prefer being left alone. I shave with an extremely basic french olive based soap (no scent) and rinse with water. I sometimes finish off with Alt-innsbruck cologne as an aftershave and it tends to be the most gentle on my skin--this is the only "aftershave" type fragrance that I own.

As a result, I own a few "fragrances," which I enjoy. I think for someone who appreciates these, has an interest in their history, but whose priority is to wear them and not collect them--3-6 is a fine number.

Going with the minimum of 3: one warm weather (maybe a citrus aromatic), one cold weather and one evening fragrance. Don't buy into the hype that you need different scents of different occasions. Just go easier on the nozzle in the summer I know lots of people who only wear one scent and it's fine. There are many versatile scents out there.

I have 5 fragrances in rotation.