L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme

Post by Sam »

Reading up that this is a pretty good scent, $80 or so for 100ml, and is a formal cocoa/vanilla/bergamot scent, medium projection, great longevity

Any one have comments?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Only that I enjoy vicarious participation in your hunt for the scent. Sam maybe you ought to frame those labels and hang them on the wall as trophies.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Very fine composition. The dryout is notably cacao but without excessive sweetness. I think it (and it's older brother l'Instant) are a couple of the best masculines of recent years.

I wear it often and with a certain sadness as I had met several times the main hand on the tiller, the exquisite -- both in her craft and in her person -- Beatrice Piquet who sadly died in 2010 at only 46. L'Instant & L'Extreme are as charming as her smile.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Extreme version, but the "original" L'Instant is quite nice. Most comments I've read have favored the Extreme over the original.

If you acquire some, please post back with your comments!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

bargepole, if you pop back in, I am thinking it is one of these (the regular L'instant or the Extreme version) or Tauer's L'air. Thoughts?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Sam wrote:bargepole, if you pop back in, I am thinking it is one of these (the regular L'instant or the Extreme version) or Tauer's L'air. Thoughts?
Very different beasts, Sam. L'Instant & the Extrème version are both sophisticated, beautifully-designed almost-gourmands, saved from the Yum Yum Club by a dryness (though not a powderiness) of accord. It's the same effect (though by completely different means) as the difference between a fine rum and an Islay malt whisky. L'Air du Désert Marocain is an entirely different beast, much more wide-open and pictorial; a panorama as opposed to an intimate vignette.

Of the two Guerlains, I prefer the Extrème simply because I like the magnificent cacao dryout, but that's a matter of taste.

They're all three top-quality compositions, though; no question of that.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme

Post by Sam »

Got the Tauer
still thinking these two Guerlains are an option. I have read this

LIDGE (the extreme version)

Lasts longer
different opinions on projection
may smell better to some, heavier on the cocoa on the dry down, a dry cocoa
more gourmandish

LIDGE:

Half as much per ounce
More citrusy
more versatile
May project more from what basenotes says
may or may not last as long as LIDGE
**some lavendar/urinal cake smell I read by one or two guys at fragranita**
never2close

Post by never2close »

While I have not tried LIDG, I own and very much enjoy LIDGE. It is a a wonderful gourmand scent without being overbearing or cloying. Definitely a cocoa vanilla vibe in the dry down. One of my cooler weather scents. Difficult to obtain in the USA, but very easy to obtain from the Guerlain boutique in Toronto.
Ken
SRD

Post by SRD »

L'Instant is my wife's favorite scent (for women). We were told at Bloomingdale's that the scent is being discontinued. So I stocked up for her. Do know if this applies to the men's line as well.
Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tried this. if i did not have Chanel Coromandel, this would be a great substitute. Little bit more cocoa in the base and drydown, a dusty addition that is not present in Coromandel