Harris Pink after shave splash

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

Harris Pink after shave splash

Post by brothers »

Can someone describe the fragrance of this for me? It's getting almost time to start making Christmas and birthday lists. Maybe this would be a good starter. Pros and cons? What's it like?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I got the big bottle a year and a half ago and there are reports it has changed, but mine has a very light rosey scent that vanishes quickly. as for performance, the "conditions" my skin nicel and absorbs without feeling tacky. I think it has enough alcohol to have some anti-bacterial benefit without stinging or drying out the skin. There are some cheaper alternative- Burt's Bees Rose Water & Glycerine Toner works well at a much lower price- but I haven't found any that work as well for most of the year, so for me the price differential is worth it. (I will go to castle Forbes Pre-shave as an A/S in the dead of winter).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I pretty much concur with Chris' post above. As you probably know, Harris's Pink is the only A/S product I use these days and I too have failed to find anything less expensive that works as well for me ( and, yes, I have too tried so there ). I used to use their Aftershaving Milk but they changed the formula to a much heavier product several years ago so that, unfortunately, was that. Since it never gets really cold here, Pink is all I need, and really, it worked well enough for me even in the winter in NJ when I was there on a trip one time. As to the scent, well, it does seem to have changed although I'm not sure the change is necessarily permenant...I'll have to check the most recent bottle I've received. It always was a light rosy scent but the last two bottles I've had have been more of a lilac aroma. But, in any case, as Chris said, the scent is short lived and does not conflict with any cologne I might wear.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Love it....but wow, it sure is soooo expensive, I don't buy it for myself.
But...if someone else buys it for me, well, it sure makes a great gift.
jr/john
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

John, I agree. I am finding that I dont even reach for my Trumpers Coral Skin food as much. My beard has seemed to change these last three years. With the grey coming through a lot more, hard to get super baby butt smooth but then again, I can possibly go a day without shaving and not look too bad.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Just as a further aside on the scent of the Pink. As I mentioned, the last two 100ml. bottles that I've used have had a light lilac scent, but recently I received a slightly used 150ml. bottle from one of our gentleman members in Australia and this stuff doesn't seem to have much of a scent at all other than a slight 'medicinal' sort of fragrance, presumably from the functional ingrediants. Weird. First I get a cake of their Lavender hard shave soap with no scent and now a bottle of Pink with somewhat of the same issue. Did they go through a period where they ran out of scenting ingrediants at Harris's?.....I mean, really? The stuff still works fine though. I have an unopened bottle in the cupboard and I'm tempted to crack it open just to see what IT smells like.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gordon,

I agree. I just bought a new 150 ml bottle and the scent seems diminished in intensity and perhaps just slightly medicinal. At least the color is still the same.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Really?....jeez...this IS strange. I'm not the only one who has gotten D R Harris's shave soaps recently that had practically no scent. I never did check that unopened 150ml. bottle of Pink that I have but maybe I should ( not that I could do anything about it regardless ). The scent of most of their products was never that heavy anyway so why would they deliberately make them almost scentless?....I don't get it.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Re: Harris Pink after shave splash

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Can someone describe the fragrance of this for me? It's getting almost time to start making Christmas and birthday lists. Maybe this would be a good starter. Pros and cons? What's it like?
Here I am pompously quoting myself again. So sorry :cry:

I was able to experience the Harris Pink today. Didn't buy it. Not bad, but I've got far too many on the shelf that aren't bad, I just don't use them much.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I don't think that many of us buy D R Harris's Pink for the scent; I use cologne for that. No, Pink is a unique aftershave product that I use as a soothing finish to the shave itself. Personally I can't use most 'aftershave' products, either they are too high in alcohol content and they irritate my skin, or, on the other end of the spectrum, they are heavy weight balms that also cause me problems. Pink has a low alcohol content yet is light and fast disappearing. It calms and refreshes my skin and then disappears and that is what I want from an 'aftershave'.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, I tend to like the flaming burning from a good old fashioned alcohol based aftershave, and I've got 3 or 4 of those already. I figured the Harris Pink was pretty mild both in fragrance and in its ability to set my face on fire. Many times I don't use anything after the shave.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

bernards66 wrote:Pink has a low alcohol content yet is light and fast disappearing. It calms and refreshes my skin and then disappears and that is what I want from an 'aftershave'.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, that's really weird :wink: I'm with Gary in that I like some "bite" to my aftershave; it kinda wakes me up in the morning.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary and Bryan,
Well, certainly, if one can tolerate and one likes the high alcohol content classic aftershaves than there would be no particular reason to buy Harris's Pink. You have plenty of less expensive and/or more aromatic splashes to choose from. There was a time when the accepted common wisdom on these forums was; 'NO alcohol based aftershaves...bad for the skin you know'. This was the advice from firms like Trumpers ( even though they continued to sell such products ) and from the few US sellers of such products online. Squire was really the first regular member to strongly challenge this accepted norm. He insisted that he had used them for years with no problems, and so had most of his friends including a doctor hunting buddy. He got a lot of push-back for this view, but over time some members found that they too could, indeed, use such products and enjoyed them. When Squire first came out with his 'heresy' I tried to maintain a more moderate approach compared with some. I owned as how such products really might be fine for him but I knew from experiance that they definately were not for me. And it's true. Quite a few gent's skins simply do not react well to high alcohol fragranced A/S products. Those of us in that camp have had to seek other alternatives. Some have found that the 'aftershave balms' generally recommended by the London firms work well but some of us had a different set of problems with them as well. That didn't leave much 'in the middle'. Of course, one could opt to just skip it entirely; cold water splash and done. But I've found that I prefer SOMETHING after the shave....if I could find something that worked. Eventually I discovered the older formula DRH Aftershaving Milk. Great stuff, but it was reformulated so I switched to their Pink Afterwshave. Clinique's Post Shave Healer also works well for me, and the AoS A/S gels did also. But not a whole lot else. Every shaver's situation and taste is a little different and so each has to find the optimal products for himself personally.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon, I think you understand that my statement was said tongue-in-cheek, but if not please accept my apology. As concerns Pink, thank you for your comments on it. I was seriously considering buying a bottle, but from what you say this would not be the aftershave for me at all. You saved me from making a costly mistake.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, I did, but still I thought the point was worth making. Quite a few guys do, indeed, relish that morning wake-up 'bite' from the classic aftershaves. But some newer members might not realize that there was a time when such products were considered a no-no on these forums. Today, it seems, more members use them than not. Boar shave brushes were also considered as beyond the pale back in those earlier years. It's interesting to have been a witness to the evolution of these forums.
Regards,
Gordon
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

Things have indeed changed around here.

One of the products that works for me is the Proraso balm applied after a witch hazel splash. Witch hazel would take care of the burn for you and you could try a balm on the cheap.

It isn't pink. No scent that I can tell.
Gerald Martin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Just for the record, I cracked open that new 150ml. bottle of Pink today ( bought from an online vendor within the last year ) and it too has hardly any scent beyond that slight medicinal aroma. On the ingrediants list all it says is "scent ( natural )". I believe that it used to mention "rose water". Anyway, while it is functionally as good as ever I do wish they'd put a little fragrance back into it.
Regards,
Gordon