My Favorite Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

My Favorite Cologne

Post by Ouchmychin »

Since I joined the club I have tried so many of the big name colognes that are mentioned here. I even bought a large fraction of one posters collection of top products. I must be goofy because my favorite scent is still a drugstore brand: Pierre Cardon. I don't use it very often now because I am trying to preserve the bottle I have with the classic Metal dome and I have so many others to select from. I have also tried most of the 5 star brands of Luca Turin's book. Still prefer PC. So has anyone else ever tried it?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, Yeah, I remember it...had a couple of bottles that looked like you describe...and I did rather like it. For me personally, it wasn't in the same league as some of my favourite colognes that I currently wear, but yes I thought is was a nice scent.
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Yes, way back when it was new and so was I. Haven't smelt it since then but I recall it was at odds with the rather sportily suggestive bottle, which conjured kipper-tie chaps, E-Types and obliging gels in white patent knee-boots, hot pants and far, far too much eye makeup. In the bottle lurked an impeccably sober leather oriental with a slightly mouthwatering (if memory serves) bergamot and... no, I had it for a second but its gone again... and maybe a touch of burnt-sugar Veltol at the top. The sort of thing a beautifully-tailored society gynaecologist might wear to soothe and allure his patients without in any way being.... suggestive.

I suppose the mechanism was a bit like Caron Pour Un Homme; relaxed but expansive. If it had an adjective, it would be "handsome-but-kindly". Its Seduction Lie would be "I just want to hold you all night." Its vice would be donning a velvet jacket and poling off to Curzon Street for a spot of vingt-et-un. And it would drive an old Triumph TR4 (or possibly an MG TD) while, of course, yearning for the E-Type and the mews house behind the King's Road.

If it's still like that -- and I haven't seen it for years -- I'm going to get me some, and spritz it on while avoiding the mirror (particularly during Movember, of course).
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Wow!....well done! By the time that I tried the scent it was no longer new; in fact, it had been relagated to discount stores. And I wound up buying it for that reason....I had little money and it was ( by then ) inexpensive. I bought it 'blind' but it turned out to be, indeed, a classy scent. My memory is not what it was, but I think it reminded me slightly of the real original Dunhill cologne.
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Bernard,
My old bottle was purchased over 25 years ago, but I am not sure it was the original. Just know I like it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

My younger brother used to wear that and Cacharel.

I wore Aramis 900 and Antaeus.

Our older brother wore Kouros.

Even in our early teens we knew what smelled nice.
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Not goofy at all... I agree with you.

I have tried many of Turin's suggestions too. All good picks.

Now that one PdN's New York has been formulated into typical synthetic fragrance, I find Pierre Cardin to not only appeal to me more; but the price is great too. (Similar scents... not identical.)

Sandalwood, leather and patchouli are notes not often found in men's scents these days. Until these notes become common again, PC will remain a favourite.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I recently bought New York based on Turin's rating. How long ago was it reformulated. I may have to qui bragging it up to family. I also bought Le 3rd Homme from Caron based of the review in the guide too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Not sure of the reformulation date with New York. My old bottle which I used sparingly lasted years. It could have been "vintage" when I bought it.

There is definitely a typical strong synthetic top note when applied and it doesn't really have the drydown like my former bottle. (Similar to Cardin... but 10 times the price.)

PdN's New York remains a quality scent by today's low standards. Like most colognes I try these days, NY is more chemistry than fragrance to my nose.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

RazorRamone wrote:Not sure of the reformulation date with New York.
Not sure quite when. Within the last couple of years. Shame.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well I bought mine about a year ago so maybe there is hope for it. My daughter liked it. Said it was nice and very light and "beautiful" when she got up close.
Ouchmychin (Pete)