Experimenting with scents

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Bobwhite

Experimenting with scents

Post by Bobwhite »

I don't usually use cologne because of all of the scents from shampoos and conditioners, aftershaves, and deodorants, and dryer sheets etc. It's time to step it up a bit.

It seems common on here for people on this sight to wear floral scents. As for myself, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm just not that comfortable with myself to try that. My brothers in law and co-workers would hound me unmercifully. Just by the sound of the name I figured Bay Rum would be a good option, it seems to be a required staple in every mans cabinet. Historically it was used in barbershops during the cattle drives in Nebraska. I ordered some and was very surprised by the scent. It reminded me of a bowl of pine cones that my Grandma used to bring out in the fall. Way too spicy.

The big question is, what scents are your personal favorites? Ones that are calming and understated, nothing sharp. I don't want to make people sneeze either. Leather smells good, I have some ginger and orange shampoo that I like too. Trumper's Sandlewood skin food is probably my favorite, but it's not noticeable after a short time. How much to apply is too much?

Any suggestions would be appreciated?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 on all three skin foods. Other than soaps and creams it is the only scented shaving product I actually use partly because of my scent sensitivities and partly because I am acutely aware of others with similar issues. I don't count lemon/aloe Thayers witch hazel which I use every time I shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Leather you say?

That just happens to be my all-time favourite 'note'.

My favourite Leathers at the moment are Chanel Cuir De Russie, Histoires De Parfums 1740 and Le Labo Patchouli 24 (it's not patchouli ... it's leather).

All of these are outrageously expensive, I mean seriously ... but their price tags are nothing compared to my favourite fragrance ever ... Creed Cuir De Russie which is now rarer than a very rare thing.

There's a ton of less expensive leathers out there but those four just do it for me.
giammi

Post by giammi »

Maybe Old Spice or Tabac might bei a option for you
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bob you can easily control the scent projection by the amount you wear. If anyone asks what it is tell 'em it's something the wife picked out.
Regards,
Squire
never2close

Post by never2close »

My favorite is whatever I'm wearing that day. To be more helpful, leather dominant fragrances are also a favorite of mine. Knize Ten, SMN Peau d'Espagne, Trumper's Spanish Leather, Dior Leather Oud are four very pleasant choices. A safe, beautifully crafted vetiver is L'Artisans Sacred Vetiver.
Ken
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Bob,

Have I got a deal for you! Check for a PM.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Bobwhite

Follow up

Post by Bobwhite »

I checked on the Thayers Lemon/aloe, but the store that the internet led me to had Rose petals/ aloe, Cucumber, and Lavender. They were out of Lemon/ aloe. I will find it locally though.

Ebay had the expensive french cologne for $1300.00 / bottle! Not a quart sized bottle either!

Old Spice has been the only thing I've ever used all along. They make body soap, shampoo, deodorant, aftershave and cologne. Perhaps I should just stop there? I would like to explore though. Tobec is worth looking into. It is very popular among people on this sight.