Sandalwood recommendations

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
John N.

Sandalwood recommendations

Post by John N. »

I am currently in a sandalwood frenzy. I have a very nice shave soap and cream (AoS both) and a fine sandalwood bath soap by l'Occitane. Now I am in search of a cologne and/or aftershave in the same flavor. I'm thinking about Meehan's, but am open to the power of suggestion.
J.
John N.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Well, this is tricky because 'sandalwood' is one of those scents that is...well...whatever the maker wants it to be. Sure, there is such a thing as straight Mysore sandalwood EO but good luck with that; when it's even available ( the Indian govt. has put strict curbs on how much can be harvested it's said ) the cost is prohibitive. Very few perfumers use the real high end stuff and if they do it is usually in very moderate amounts blended with other essences. Of the colognes specifically labeled 'sandalwood' I personally like the Taylors version, but it doesn't smell much like the AoS products....the Trumpers cologne is a little closer in style to that. Creed used to make a nice sandalwood cologne but it is the older version that I'm referring to so, be aware. I'm not sure if they even offer it anymore, and of course, it was always very expensive. If cost is no object there are also some more 'modern' boutique brands that some here think highly of but my familiarity with them is limited. If you can find any, Yardley used to make a nice sandalwood and the one from Floris was even better, if any of that shows up on eBay, grab it! Anyway, best of luck in your search and I hope you find one that you like.
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

AOS Cologne for sale by one of our members, though you might be interested

http://shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51057
Jack
giammi

Post by giammi »

+1 on Taylor's sandalwood
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
never2close

Post by never2close »

Taylor's is a very nice sandlewood, and I would also recommend MPG's Santal Noble which is a soft, creamy sandlewood.
Ken
Velomane

Post by Velomane »

I'm also a fan of Santal Noble, but Diptyque's Tam Dao is easily my favourite sandalwood fragrance. Dry as a box of pencil shavings, and very good staying power.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

for an aftershave, Taylors or Harris. For cologne Trumper, Diptyque Tam Dao, or if you want a dryer scent Villoresi.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also use Taylors and like it. But one of the members gave me a bottle of Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood that I like very much. Smells like sandalwood and very nice, however it is compounded. My bottle seems large. You might be able to snag some on ebay since it is a major brand.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

I've been using the Taylor Sandalwood aftershave for the last week. I like it, and as an added bonus - so does my wife.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

For a cologne (edt), Caswell-Massey Sandalwood is quite nice and fairly inexpensive. They do not have a matching splash, but do have a balm which I have never tried. As to bath soaps, you simply cannot beat Mysore Sandal Soap by Karnataka Soaps, to be found in your local Indian grocery (or online in several places).
ticman

Post by ticman »

how do you say Tam Dao absolute wonderful IMHO
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Taylor's is good.

Tam Dao is outstanding.

Geo F Trumper's is one of Morrissey's favourite colognes and that man really knows a thing or two about style.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

AOS EdT to match the soap you like

Taylor's if you favor something affordable with a healthy dose of rose and a bit of lavender in the mix

Tam Dao if you want to go ethereal and earthy at the same time.

Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo if you want a somewhat medicinal, dusty sandalwood
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
John N.

Post by John N. »

I have come across a sandalwood parfum that knocks off both socks...Profumum Santalum. A strong sandalwood note with a touch of myrrh and cinnamon. Lucky Scent carries it...will need to save up, but they do have samples.
J.
John N.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Damn, John, had I known you were willing to spend that kind of coin...

Well, yeah, Profumum makes good fragrances. Expensive, but highly concentrated and very good.

Now that I know the ballpark you're willing to play in, you might also sample the Chanel Exclusifs Bois des Iles. Completely different style of sandalwood, but every bit as distinct, exotic, and breathtaking. Marketed for women, but who knows why? Genius.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
John N.

Post by John N. »

Tim, the Profumum S. is indeed costly, but being a perfume should last a long time. The Perfumed Court does not carry it, but I will email them a request and see where that goes. A bigish decant would give me some time to live with the scent and defer the major purchase. I intend to seek out the Chanel you mentioned.
J.
John N.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

John, oh yeah, it will last a very long time. I had a small sample of their vetiver, Fumidus, and one spray would do me for the day and into the next. Very concentrated, high-quality stuff.

Good luck with TPC. You might also see if there's a way to get a group buy done somewhere, maybe split a bottle. I'll be curious to see how the quest progresses.
Regards,
Tim