Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
SRD

Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud

Post by SRD »

Spent a weekend in Atlanta with my wife and was advised that I needed a little variety in my fragrance library. While she likes my Floris 89, Pen English Fern and Creed Bois du Portugal, she decided that I needed something in her words "a bit more daring". She picked out the AdP Oud. It is very dark and brooding with a very musk and woody base. Very different than what I normally wear but she loves it on me. What can I say? Happy wife, happy life.
Dave
druphus

Post by druphus »

Wow, interesting that even AdP is jumping on the oud bandwagon.

Sounds like you have a great wife Dave!

Report back on the new fragrance aquisition after some use.
Regards,
Andy
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Is a particular oud made by adding the components of a specific cologne (in this case AdP) to the basic resinous agarwood?
_______
John
druphus

Post by druphus »

I don't know much about it except that many of the perfume houses seem to be coming out with oud wood scents.

Here is some info on oud wood in general:

http://scentbound.com/tag/oud-wood/
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, I also had no idea that this was some sort of a trend. Well, I'm grateful that my wife likes most of the old school scents that I wear and doesn't insist on anything more au currant, or whatever.....because I don't think I could find one that I would wear. And I'm serious about being grateful because in a number of areas our tastes are very different. Maybe she's simply not familiar with any more 'modern' high end men's scents and if so, I'll do what I can to keep it that way because I wouldn't wear a cologne I didn't like even if she was nuts about it.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon, run here into Bloomingdales (Jo Malone, Creed, others) or Saks or heck, Burdines.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

run here into Bloomingdales
shouldnt that be: run away from bloomingdales......

poor gordon

:lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Well, I've thought about Creed in relation to a couple of potential scents for HER ( not me ) but hell, why wake the dragon because I couldn't afford to keep her in any of those anyway. I got her some Floris Bouvardia for special occasions ( like tonight, it being Valentines Day...ahem ) and she likes it well enough. But, of course, it's no longer made so when the current bottle runs out, that's it. She used to yak about Channel Coco; I kept telling her it was not the same as she remembered and finally in some local dept. store I shoved a bottle under her snout and she recoiled with, "My God!...you're right!...this isn't at all like I remember it". Indeed. That one and a whole lot of others. Most of the time she simply wears Lavender EO that she gets at the health food store. Maybe kind of declasse but it works on her....she's an eccentric kind of chick anyway ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Oud/attar oils appear to be a good alternative for those seeking natural fragrances versus most of today's mainstream chemical fragrance concoctions.

I have yet to try any, but have nearly bought them several times. (I don't know these products well.)

Most of these fragrance oils are very expensive, but I hear of the highest qualities.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Curious thing for Acqua di Parma to do -- but then since they were bought by LVMH they've [usual rant].

They are perhaps a bit late to the oudh party, though. It's been rising flavour of the month since at least 2008. Not surprisingly: it's an unfamiliar note, something new, to the Western nose, and, in its natural form, quite amazing: a complex meaty smoky, soft powdery rather astringent/medicinal woody smell unlike anything else. But there's masses of artifically - innoculated agarwood, rumours of - surprise surprise - Chinese fakes, etc etc etc.

I don't know what AdP's version is like but I do know that an awful lot of "oudh" is actually decent enough bases like those from Givaudan (used in Tom "It's the finest Cambodian oudh wood, no, no, honest it is" Ford's stuff) and Firmenich - the one Dior used in the original M7 (as opposed to the current version which doesn't seem to me to have any of anything in it...

But however good the oudh synthetics/bases, they're nothing like genuine oudh. Nothing like the price either...

The real thing, if it's of any use as a comparison: A friend of mine was quoted a little under $10,000 US for 12ml of triple-A oudh resin last month.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis