Penhaligon English Fern

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
celar36

Penhaligon English Fern

Post by celar36 »

Hi,

Quick question, which one is better EdT or A/S?

Love the scent btw. Just think, which to buy.
Jack
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

EdT- the scent last longer (at least on me).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

+ 1 on what Chris said
never2close

Post by never2close »

+2 on what Chris and Sam said.
Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

With some 'stronger' scents, like Hammam Bouquet or Knize Ten, I actually prefer the A/S version. However, with English Fern it has to be the cologne even though it only comes in a spray ( I much prefer splashes ) and even though it is considerably more expensive. The A/S is still nice but the cologne has more depth and 'character'. Along with Trumpers Spanish Leather, Penhaligon's English Fern is my favourite scent. Even though it's gotten quite pricey I will do whatever I can to not be without it. FWIW, the novelist Jilly Cooper called it "the sexiest thing a man can wear" and my wife agrees. It's nice stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

bernards66 wrote:With some 'stronger' scents, like Hammam Bouquet or Knize Ten, I actually prefer the A/S version. However, with English Fern it has to be the cologne even though it only comes in a spray ( I much prefer splashes ) and even though it is considerably more expensive. The A/S is still nice but the cologne has more depth and 'character'. Along with Trumpers Spanish Leather, Penhaligon's English Fern is my favourite scent. Even though it's gotten quite pricey I will do whatever I can to not be without it. FWIW, the novelist Jilly Cooper called it "the sexiest thing a man can wear" and my wife agrees. It's nice stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
I had feeling you will tell me exactly what I wanna hear:)

Thank you all Cologne it is. Just after Brian Bay Rum:)
Jack
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Oh, oh, sounds like another A/S to try. Even though I like a lot of "bite" in my after shave application I find colognes too potent in this regard, so I'll stick with the A/S. It's only $€£¥ :shock:
Bryan
owenm

Post by owenm »

celar36 wrote:
I had feeling you will tell me exactly what I wanna hear:)

Thank you all Cologne it is.
If you're anywhere near Bicester there is a Penhaligons outlet there, you can save yourself about 40% on the RRP. I got my English Fern there a few years ago.
Cheers,
Owen
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote:Oh, oh, sounds like another A/S to try. Even though I like a lot of "bite" in my after shave application I find colognes too potent in this regard, so I'll stick with the A/S. It's only $€£¥ :shock:
I'm with you on this one Rufus. I'm not big on wearing a fragrance. I like to splash on some AS occasionally, but seldom go with a cologne because I prefer to keeep a lower profile around others who might find one or the other a bit too strong.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Penhaligons English Fern vs. Trumpers Wild Fern.

Is there much of a difference?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

RR, There is some. They are quite similiar and if one is not that familiar with either it might not be easy to distinguish them. But they are subtly different. Personally I prefer the Penhaligon's, which is the 'original' ( Trumpers Wild Fern was almost certainly a deliberate attempt to offer something very similiar as it was introduced in the late '70s or early '80s whilst the Penhaligon's is much older ), but it's a matter of personal taste. Both are excellent, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

bernards66 wrote:With some 'stronger' scents, like Hammam Bouquet or Knize Ten, I actually prefer the A/S version. However, with English Fern it has to be the cologne even though it only comes in a spray ( I much prefer splashes ) and even though it is considerably more expensive. The A/S is still nice but the cologne has more depth and 'character'. Along with Trumpers Spanish Leather, Penhaligon's English Fern is my favourite scent. Even though it's gotten quite pricey I will do whatever I can to not be without it. FWIW, the novelist Jilly Cooper called it "the sexiest thing a man can wear" and my wife agrees. It's nice stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
Can you give me link, where you buying it? as I cannot find cologne.

Cheers
Jack
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jack, Since you're in the UK, what about Penhaligon's own website?
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Only EdT. I might jump on free weekend to their London boutique.

I know there is not much difference between EdT and EdC so I might buy EdT
Jack
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I'm down to the last third of a bottle of Crown Fougère, after its finished I'll be switching to Penhaligon's English Fern.
Cheers,

Craig