Pinaud Clubman

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Shave4Fun

Re: Pinaud Clubman

Post by Shave4Fun »

I really like the scent of the talc, so I will get some of this.
Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Pinaud collection
Pinaud collection
photo (62).JPG (521.73 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
Got my Pinaud Clubman A/S and Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic today. Like the scent of each, much.
The talc was my dad's (who passed away last August)
Roger

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I can remember as a kid (I'll be 61 next week) and going to the barber shop, the scent in the air was all the different Clubman products. As far as I know, Pinaud is one of the few companies that did not screw around with the original formulas, and they have indeed withstood the test of time. Not only is it good stuff, it's also easy on the wallet!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Desertbadger (David),
I agree on all points. I'm 58 and perhaps some of the younger guys (and girls, too) find Pinaud Clubman a/s scent too old school, but like you, that's one thing I do like about it. Barber shops have changed and many have disappeared, but we can come close to some things at home.

Best,
Last edited by Shave4Fun on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Roger, your dad had good taste in talcs. Perhaps its scent will revive pleasant memories1

Based on the many positive comments posted here, just ordered some Clubman a/s and talc for my grandson...and a second bottle of aftershave as a Fathers Day gift to myself. What impressed me most were the compliments coming from guys here I consider big time proponents of some higher end, "sophisticated" fragrances!

Though he's only 13 and not yet shaving, the little guy loves to "smell good," as he says. He's a bit of a chick magnet, lol, and has a fairly grown-up view
of fragrance. He recently borrowed my bottle of St John' Lime aftershave during my recent visit and his Mom says he sprinkles some on every day. Unlikely, it will ever find its way back to me.

My barber still shaves the back of my neck after the haircut and dusts on some Clubman talc to finish off. Even my wife, who usually has little to say about any scented items I use, commented on how "fresh" smelling it left me.

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

as P.S. to my post above, I have found one of the best selection of Clubman Products, in various sizes, and at very reasonable prices, at Appleton Barber Supply.
They also carry a bunch of "barber-shoppy" toiletry products and supplies, including a selection of shaving towels I like to use in preference to our regular bath towels (and at my wife's strong request).

My last order, still in transit, shipped UPS for $10. Website a bit Spartan, but if you know what you want and don't need fancy product write-ups, it should do you just fine!

No connection to/with them; have ordered from them 4-5 times with no hitches so far,

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

JRTASTER wrote:as P.S. to my post above, I have found one of the best selection of Clubman Products, in various sizes, and at very reasonable prices, at Appleton Barber Supply.
They also carry a bunch of "barber-shoppy" toiletry products and supplies, including a selection of shaving towels I like to use in preference to our regular bath towels (and at my wife's strong request).

My last order, still in transit, shipped UPS for $10. Website a bit Spartan, but if you know what you want and don't need fancy product write-ups, it should do you just fine!

No connection to/with them; have ordered from them 4-5 times with no hitches so far,

jr/John
John you're right. I've ordered from Appelton's in the past and they do (or did) have some items that have been long discontinued. If I remember right, they ship fast and are reasonable with prices including shipping costs.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

One of our local Bed Bath & Beyond locations had the Lilac Vegetal A/S last weekend, which I'd never smelled before. Some other shopper had done me a favor and already opened a bottle, so I took a sniff. I recoiled and vowed never to put it on my face :(
Regards,
Mike
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Mike,

I've read horror stories about The Veg. Rather doubt I'll be buying any.
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bought it at a local barber supply, just because it was there and I knew I'd never get another chance. Also picked up the Clubman Vanilla and the Special Reserve. Took 'em home, broke the seal and tried them on the backs of my hands and arms, put the lids back on and tossed all three in the trash. =D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

maskaggs wrote:One of our local Bed Bath & Beyond locations had the Lilac Vegetal A/S last weekend, which I'd never smelled before. Some other shopper had done me a favor and already opened a bottle, so I took a sniff. I recoiled and vowed never to put it on my face :(
Yeah, that's for sure. The Vegetal is not to my liking either.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

brothers wrote:I bought it at a local barber supply, just because it was there and I knew I'd never get another chance. Also picked up the Clubman Vanilla and the Special Reserve. Took 'em home, broke the seal and tried them on the backs of my hands and arms, put the lids back on and tossed all three in the trash. =D>
Gary,

I am a little confused, as I thought you liked the original. No?

Best,
Roger

brothers

Post by brothers »

Clubman original is a keeper, and I absolutely like it. I bought Lilac Vegetal, Clubman Special Reserve, and Clubman Vanilla, those are the ones that were discarded. I didn't mention the hair tonic either, it seemed halfway OK to me, but the wife was the only one voting on whether or not I could go around smelling like that, and she won the election so the hair tonic's out too. Obviously Clubman doesn't fare too well when they try to "enhance" or "pair" their products. Here's what I'm keeping because I like them very much: Shampoo, Talc, After Shave. These all smell just like they're supposed to smell, nothing fancy or modified , just the real thing and nothing less. :D I hope this eliminates any confusion!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Gary,

=D> Thanks! I do like the chemistry of the hair tonic (had been using Jeris) and really did not think too much about the scent. Now I'll just have to ask my wife because she's too kind to say anything unless it's just real bad.

Now, I do need to get some of the shampoo!

Best
Roger

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I can't decide if all this talk of hair tonic makes me want to chuckle or be jealous :D
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh chuckle by all means, humor is always preferable.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Okay, I asked the wife about the scent of the quinine, and, leaning my head over so she can sniff, she says, "Yes, it stinks!" :(
So, I guess when we are being romantic I will have no quinine in my hair! Otherwise, I'll go on using it because she obviously did not notice it at a distance. :D
Last edited by Shave4Fun on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Roger,

My wife has the same reaction to the Eau de Quinine, but hair tonic is one of those things that others don't smell so well as the wearer does, so I use it time to time anyway.

Harris Almond soap has a very nice Eau de Quinine scent, btw, and we are indebted to Basil (levente) for recognizing that and naming it as such a few years back. I enjoy pairing the two products now and then. Old-school and a bit powdery, but not fusty.

As for Clubman, I enjoy it on occasion, but I have other "barbershop" fougeres I prefer. It has a bit more sweetness than I would like, and I wish there were some patchouli or oakmoss in there to round it off.

My favorite Pinaud product is actually the Special Reserve, which is a very masculine leather, a little raw and not especially refined, but that's one of its charms. Smells a bit like a new baseball mitt in a cold, damp basement, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. When I splash it on I am 12 years old again, breaking in the first ball glove I bought with my own money.

As for lilac vegetal, well...I wish there were more lilac.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Tim,
Too bad we cannot "scratch and sniff" a computer screen for some of these scents. The "Special Reserve" has piqued my interest now.
Roger

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Shave4Fun wrote:Okay, I asked the wife about the scent of the quinine, and, leaning my head over so she can sniff, she says, "Yes, it stinks!" :(
So, I guess when we are being romantic I will have no quinine in my hair! Otherwise, I'll go on using it because she obviously did not notice it at a distance. :D
On another quinine-related note, I find it helpful to add more gin :)
Regards,
Mike