Pinaud Clubman

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

Pinaud Clubman

Post by brothers »

Yes, I finally got around to trying it, and of course, found it to be every bit as intoxicating and addictive as reported by many long term users. What can I say? A two hundred year old brand and fragrance. Obviously somebody figured out what guys like. Maybe not all guys, but I say first you've got to try it, and maybe you will like it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Gary, I have three regular aftershaves in my rotation for years now, Pinaud Clubman, NOS Old spice and Royall Lime, as far as I am concerned, those three, are all I need.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I don't know the Lime, but I agree re the original Old Spice and the Clubman -- timeless classics, as good or better than "designer" stuff sold at 10 or 20x the price...

(I'm pretty keen on the Clubman Special Reserve, too, come to think of it. If they ever stopped making Knize Ten, I'd know where to turn.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

The US shavers are so lucky to these things so readily available.

I'd love to be able to throw some bottles of Aqua Velva, Clubman and Lilac Vegetal in with my day-to-day shopping.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Bargepole wrote: (I'm pretty keen on the Clubman Special Reserve, too, come to think of it. If they ever stopped making Knize Ten, I'd know where to turn.)
Indeed. Superb stuff.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

joe mcclaine wrote:The US shavers are so lucky to these things so readily available.

I'd love to be able to throw some bottles of Aqua Velva, Clubman and Lilac Vegetal in with my day-to-day shopping.
Vinny,
Find me a nice cased EverReady Streamline set over there and I'll get you all of the AV, Clubman, and Veg that your heart desires. :P
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
celar36

Post by celar36 »

SharpSpine wrote:
joe mcclaine wrote:The US shavers are so lucky to these things so readily available.

Vinny,
Find me a nice cased EverReady Streamline set over there and I'll get you all of the AV, Clubman, and Veg that your heart desires. :P

Challenge Accepted !!
Jack
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Sorry, but in my case I find Clubman and Reserve very unpleasing. Used some of each as bathroom deorerizers. Just didn't like Brut either and Clubman smells like it. Reserve reminds me of root beer.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

This stuff's got me scouting around for some of the related Clubman products. In addition to the after shave, they've also got Clubman hair tonic, talc, and shampoo to go with it. I have no problem with using something every day, when it's mild and I like it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

I like the Clubman talc, and can generally/randomly find it at local retailers.

I recently got a bottle of the Clubman AS ... love it. Reminds me of old-skool barbershops and brings back many memories.

Also made by Pinaud-Clubman: Osage Rub. Since I can't find it locally I am going to have to purchase it online.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Pinaud Eau de Portugal hair tonic has a great but fleeting scent and works fine as an aftershave.
Good shaving,

Gary
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

gsgo wrote:Pinaud Eau de Portugal hair tonic has a great but fleeting scent and works fine as an aftershave.
Gary,

Your post made me laugh when I read it. If I did have hair tonic using it as an afterhave is the only use I would have for it. You see I am folically challenged!

Thanks for the nice laugh early on a Saturday morning.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Not having been born in the Dark Ages like some of my SMF brethren, I don't know what an old school barbershop smells like. :D

Now, with appropriate respect for all, Pinaud Clubman is a great scent. It's clean but noticeable and tends to remain throughout the day. My one complaint is that, for me anyway, it's a highly seasonal scent - I can't imagine wearing it during cold weather. It's just too light and summery for me.
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Long ago, I remember people talking about Taylors No74 Original as being like the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal - mostly they were gagging as they typed. But since I adore the No74 Original, this thread has inspired me to buy some Clubman, some Lilac and some Special Reserve. Thanks, guys.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
dosco

Post by dosco »

maskaggs wrote:Not having been born in the Dark Ages like some of my SMF brethren, I don't know what an old school barbershop smells like.
That's easy. Find a place called a 'Barber Shop' (not a stylist or salon) operated by Italians that caters primarily to police and/or military. They aren't as common as they were back in the day, but they can be found if you look and ask around.
brothers

Post by brothers »

gsgo wrote:Pinaud Eau de Portugal hair tonic has a great but fleeting scent and works fine as an aftershave.
Makes me wonder, does the aftershave work well as hair tonic? I can find the aftershave locally, but I'm not so sure I can find the hair tonic.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Lucky for you that you never got to try the old Trumpers Fougena ( I think that Bill and I got two of the very last 150ml. bottles that they had ). Imagine a scent about half way between Clubman and English Fern. Yep, it was pretty damn nice. Actually I sometimes wonder if Fougena was originally George Trumpers version of the authentic Ed. Pinaud 'Clubman' that was made in Paris in the 19th c.....just a thought, mind you.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, that sounds quite nice, indeed. I can only imagine -

I got some talc and shampoo from a local retailer. I really like the shampoo. I was able to order some of the hair tonic online at a very reasonable price, and hope to have it around mid-week. Good thing, because my Vitalis is about to run out, and I'm not going to replace it until I've given Clubman a tryout for a few days.
Gary

Shave4Fun

Re: Pinaud Clubman

Post by Shave4Fun »

is it not true that that the Clubman A/S smells the same as the talc?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
brothers

Re: Pinaud Clubman

Post by brothers »

Yes, pretty much the same.
Gary