Creed Royal English Leather-Disco'd?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Craig_From_Cincy

Creed Royal English Leather-Disco'd?

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I've read that Creed has discontinued another one of their finest scents, Royal English Leather, my go-to special occasion scent. First it was Cuir de Russie, now Royal English Leather. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Cheers,

Craig
never2close

Post by never2close »

True
Ken
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Creed Royal English Leather-Disco'd?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sad: I liked it and will conserve my bottle. It's strong enough that a single spray is sometimes too much, but it is good. Has it become one of those that you can only buy in person in Paris, like the Cuir de Russie?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Craig_From_Cincy

Chris, it's my understanding that these "vaulted" scents have to be custom ordered from Paris and are only sold in large falcons. In a thread on Basenotes I saw a price of $1700 quoted for CDR.
Cheers,

Craig
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, I have got 250ml of it and perhaps I shall keep it as an investment! Actually, I'll just use it as it was a good one, and one that Clive Whatsit (I keep wanting to type 'Cussler' but that would insult airport novelists) had nothing to do with except to make it hard to buy.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

There is a new producer (Parfums Retro) that has just launched a "retro" men's leather scent called Grand Cuir. This is very much in the style of the vintage REL and Cuir de Russie. Right now it's only available in the USA at www.luckyscent.com.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, It sounds interesting....and it's pricey. To me, Creed's Royal English Leather and their Cuir de Russie were quite different. To which one would you say this Retro scent is most similiar?
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gordon:

Cuir de Russie has been reformulated and to my nose is but a shadow of it's former self. This new fragrance Grand Cuir leans more toward the vintage/original Cuir de Russie but a bit less potent. Maybe the best way to describe it is heavier than REL and lighter than vintage CDR. It's very masculine where vintage CDR carries some feminine oriented notes. You can purchase a sample at LuckyScent for a few $ to give it a "test drive."

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Okay, thanks. To me, the original Cuir de Russie was a rather 'dry' scent with a most definate leather/birch tar note. The Royal English Leather seemed 'heavier', sweeter, and I never really picked up any birch tar in it's make-up. To me it was always more in the 'Spanish leather' style, vs. 'Russian leather' Anyway, this Retro stuff sounds interesting; thanks for the heads-up as I never would have found it otherwise.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I too would call the REL 'heavier' (even without the term being defined!) It is a rich, strong scent that easily becomes annoying as the day goes on if you used too much. Just like Knize 10, my rule is one spray only. My 250ml bottle of CDR is in the kind of bottle that acids came in when I was in a chemistry lab. Ground glass stopper and all. It is a subtle scent that wants you using more to really experience or understand it - and you never will. The leather and birch are elusive but there, just at the edge of your perception. I think that's why I like it. Clive Whotsit could never create something so subtle and more-ish!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Craig_From_Cincy

You're very right about a little REL going a long way Chris. One small spray lasts the entire evening on me.
Cheers,

Craig