Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Cologne . . .

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
ThePossum

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Cologne . . .

Post by ThePossum »

Need some help. Have a puck of the Pens Blenheim Bouquet Shave Soap & Shave Cream. Just love the scent and would like to get some of the Pens Blenheim Bouquet Spray Cologne. Alas, the stuff is too expensive for me.

My question is there something out there that will closely approach the scent of the real Blenheim Bouquet that is not so outrageously pricey?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Can't really think of anything similar, let alone anything similar and better-priced (Blenheim is wildly overpriced, as, nowadays, is most of the English stuff).

If it's the pine you like, Pino Silvestre is pretty good. Lacks the lemon, more herbal, but similar in effect. Otherwise... my mind's a blank. Gordon? Hello? GORDON....?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I was under the impression that Trumper's Wellington and Crown Perfumery's Town & Country were interchangeable with Blenheim. I have a sample of Wellington and a bottle of T&C and those two, at least, are very similar.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon told me that Trumper's Wellington is the same as BB.
Bryan
never2close

Post by never2close »

To my nose Town and Country is more artificial, and lacks the freshness of BB.
Ken
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

To my nose, Wellington is identical to Pens BB.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Wellington is close. It wasn't quite as good as Blenheim the first time I tested them side by side. My last sample of Blenheim was...less than optimal. Still the best of the line, though the ingredient quality in Opus 1870 seems to have been maintained and, when everything else is being cheapened, this makes it seem exceptional.

At any rate, Pino Silvestre does echo the pine. Villoresi Uomo echoes the citrus, the herbs, and the sparkling feel of the top but has a warmer, less musky drydown. Agua Brava has some of the cool feel and the pine again, but it's less piercing and aloof. The Italians seem to dig the pine and citrus, though, so exploring old-school Italian fragrances may be worthwhile if you enjoy Blenheim, even if you never find a suitable substitute for Blenheim Bouquet.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I put Wellington on the left and Blenheim Bouquet on the right this morning. They are very, very close.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes indeed...Trumpers Wellington IS very close, not the 'same' mind you, but very close indeed. AND, I believe that Wellington is still available in the proper 100ml. splash bottles ( which Wild Fern is not...the bastards! ). The Crown Perfumery's Town & Country was also very similiar, for all the good that will do you since none has been made in years now and if you ever found any they'd probably want as much or more for it than the Penhaligon's.
Regards,
Gordon
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Thank you Gordon. I am not looking for something that is exactly like it. That would be impossible to find economically. But since you seem to be the one with all the experience here at SMF I will take your word for it.

Found it on Bullgoose Shaving store. Now to put it on my birthday wish list I give to my daughter.

Thanks for your help.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Byrce, Oh, you're welcome. Let us know how you like it if any shows up at your door. And, BTW, Michael knows WAY more than I do about perfumery and all that, it's just that I have a good working knowledge of the more classic style English scents and historical minutea regarding them. But Michael is our real authority on scent in general, and several other members are very knowledgeable as well.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Crown's Town & Country, still for sale, and discounted to $25!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Crown-Perfume ... B007EAEKQO

And here for $18.00!!!

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/ ... oduct.html
Cheers,

Craig
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Craig,

Thanks for the link to the Town and Country on Overstock.com. Just ordered a bottle of the stuff.

Will let you all know how I like it.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Honestly, we should hope that you hate it. There's no more to be had, and that's a pretty sad feeling when you just discover a scent and decide you can't live without it. :cry:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Chris,

I thought of that. If I like it and my wife likes it when I give it a try I will go back to the website and buy some more.

I have faced the same problem with my love for C&E SAO cream. It has not been made for about 5 years now but I have found some of it on this site and a couple other shave forums. Have like 3 full tubs and 5 tubes left. Should last me for quite some time.

But I will also try the Wellington stuff that was recommended and if that works at least I can get it when the Town and Country runs out.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryce, Good for you!...a very good score. The Crown scents were all top self as far as quality goes, and the Town & Country was very similiar to the Blenheim Bouquet. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Bryce, have you ever tried Eau Sauvage? You can get a sample of it before you buy (the sample is pretty generous).

It's not BB but I often think of them as summery scents of a distant likeness. I do prefer the BB but Eau Sauvage is cheaper than BB these days, I think (haven't looked it up in ages). Getting a sample is the best way to go though to make sure it's to your tastes so I highly recommend doing that before buying blind.

Chris
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

The Town & Country by The Crown Perfumery Co. arrived in the mail today. Wife brought it in and I tried a shot on my arm.

Well, the jury delivered a verdict of "I love it!" So I am going to order a couple more bottles for good measure in the next couple days. Want to see just how long the scent hangs around on my wrist though.

By the way, I like it too.

Thanks Craig for the tip. Makes me feel good that something (you) good is from Cincinnati (not the Reds or the Bengals! :D )
Last edited by ThePossum on Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Hey! Say what you will about the Bungles, but leave my Reds alone! :evil:

Glad you like the scent. I think I'm ordering a bottle as well, given the price of BB these days.
Cheers,

Craig
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Hey! Say what you will about the Bungles, but leave my Reds alone! :evil:

Glad you like the scent. I think I'm ordering a bottle as well, given the price of BB these days.
When you are talking about the football team you sound more like a "Stiller" fan than one from Cincinnati. But the Reds, well, I have been a Pirate fan for 55 years now so I have learned not to like the Reds, other than them supplying the Pirates with some of the core of the first W.S. championship team I rooted for, the '60 Pirates. Thanks for Harvey Haddix, Smoky Burgess and Don "Tiger" Hoak. Some of my very first MLB heros. :D

But now you are my hero from Cincy for suggesting and giving me a link to some great cologne.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff