Anybody Know Where One Can Buy Old Stock Aqua Velva

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

Anybody Know Where One Can Buy Old Stock Aqua Velva

Post by Ouchmychin »

This morning I had the pleasure of using my old Aqua Velva aftershave and I am worried because the glass bottle is running low. I understand it is now in plastic bottles and may have been reformulated. Has anyone seen the glass bottle version somewhere. I'd sure hate to run out as I did with the original Mennen Skin Bracer and Old Spice. They are all classics even though they are cheap.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Pete, AV glass bottles are hard to find but don't see why you would not just buy the new plastic bottle and decant into your now vintage glass bottle. I do not think the juice has changed much at all with the transition.
Good shaving,

Gary
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Not so easy because the glass bottle has a drop hole molded in. Would need to use a tiny funnel and that can be tedious.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I found a small funnel at a kitchen store that works well enough, not so tedious once you get the technique down, I actually even made a funnel using wax paper rolled up in a cone and then just cut off the tip, if you want to use the glass there isn't to many options.
Good shaving,

Gary
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pete, you might try using a syringe for transfer from one bottle to the other.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've found a couple of glass bottles of AV on ebay.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

IMHO the juice is pretty much the same as the original, I can't tell the difference that is.

As for Skin Bracer there is a difference between old and new but not one that is substantial to my nose. And it's restricted to the first few minutes of opening notes.

Old Spice, well it's substantially different to my nose. You either like the new stuff or not. Although I prefer the old formula Old Spice I have come to love the new stuff over time.

Anyway, I think the new Aqua Velva is a safe purchase for you.

Chris
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I emailed the manufacturer of AV a year (or two?) ago about whether there had been any reformulation. The answer was "No". Original post is around here somewhere.

I'm using the plastic bottle now and find it entirely serviceable but without the nostalgia.
Ed
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

It just bothers me that old time companies like Mennen, Williams, and Shulton couldn't make it in modern America. This is more political than shaving but I believe internationalizing everything is to blame. I did get a pleasant surprise when I checked the tag on my only pair of jeans to find that Mr. Lee is made in the U.S.A. What a surprise.
Sorry, I didn't mean to switch gears here.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

It's interesting to note that Combe's reason for shifting to shatterproof plastic was requested by their retail/wholesale customers due to breakage either in handling or on the shelf. Europe is big on glass versus plastic as it is somewhat more environmentally friendly.
Good shaving,

Gary