Summer scsents - anyone got comments?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Summer scsents - anyone got comments?

Post by Sam »

Also, your take on Escentric Molecules, especially Molecule 01? i have read that others detect it much better than the wearer, and it is the number 1 seller at Luckyscent.com

How does Heely Menthe Fraiche or Sel Marin sound to you for a summer all-purpose scent? Longevity and sillage? I read that the Sel Marin is light and smells salty like the ocean, but I did not like the salt note in Millisime Imperial any more. I am afraid these are lighter and wont be as pleasing to me once they hit 5 or 6 hours, but I could be wrong.

o, while you are here. what is your thought on Frapin 1270 or Caravelle Epicee for fall and which one projects and lasts more? I am in the mood for a spicy winter scent, used to like Piper Nigrum and C&S Cuba somewhat. I loved Idole but it did not last in EDT and it was not the same to my nose in EDP. I also read up on Ambre Russse but leather and I dont get along
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Summer scsents - anyone got comments?

Post by bernards66 »

Ah...dear ole Sam...sigh....Mr. Bargepole and Chris Fisher are practically the only ones who can meaningfully respond to you on cologne questions these days ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
SRD

Post by SRD »

The best Frapin scent around that I am aware of is Frapin XO in the 750ml bottle :D. Sorry Sam just a little fun.
Dave
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

bernards66 wrote:Ah...dear ole Sam...sigh....Mr. Bargepole and Chris Fisher are practically the only ones who can meaningfully respond to you on cologne questions these days ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
HA! I was lost as soon as I saw the thread didn't involve Clubman or A/V :lol:
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Follow you completely Mike.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

When faced with these mysteries, I wait until one of the above experts responds, then I can figure out what the question was, and the answer, at the same time. I have great fear and respect for people who can effectively converse with one another about these things.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

No experience with Menthe Fraiche, Sam, but Sel Marin is not very potent on my skin. Longevity was subpar, too, and I get good longevity from almost everything.

As for Molecule 01, it smells like the drydown of Terre d'Hermes with less dimension, as it is straight Iso E Super. I bought some Iso E and Everclear to dilute it and could not tell the difference. Now, I happen to enjoy Iso E Super, but it's overpriced IMO and gets boring after a while.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
never2close

Post by never2close »

Sel Marin is my favorite marine scent. Very pleasant salty, sea breeze feel to it with average longevity, but a very well crafted scent. Along the same line is Bond No. 9's Andy Warhol Montauk. Both are very nice in the warm weather. Frapin 1270 is an excellent boozy, immortelle combination that projects well and is very comforting on an overcast day. If you like the immortelle note, I am a big fan of Goutal's Sables.
Ken
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Sables: seconded. It's remarkable and one of my personal top five. Though a friend who also wears it tells me it's been reworked, and is now much smoother without the edge we're used to. The mad toffee/liquorice/fenugreek-and-cumin smell of Imortelle sauvage has been attenuated. I hope he's wrong but he's a molecular biologist and has access to a gas chromatograph, so we will see...

The great thing about Sables (old version, at least) is that the overall effect says "French seaside" by an odd sort of stealth; the accord has the quality of old boats, tarry rope, salt air and the caulking between sun-bleached deck-boards. I have about 15ml left and will eke it out...

Other ones worth trying might be Ormonde Jayne Man (dreadful name, superb composition, airy, green and sparkling like light on the water) and Fleurs de Sel, a green/herbal woody chypre with a salty/iodine tang, from Miller Harris.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
never2close

Post by never2close »

Funny you should mention Ormande Jayne Man. It will be my next purchase, but it is unavailable in the US. Shipping from England is now exorbitant for fragrances so I have a friend that will acquire a bottle for me in Abu Dhabi. Michael, your comments have only heightened my interest. Always enjoy reading your posts.
Ken
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have 12 scents in my rotation at the moment, but I've never felt compelled to segregate them by season. I make my decision on which one to use each morning based on how I feel and what I'm in the mood for.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me too Bryan, no rhyme or reason on my part. The beauty of my non system is I occasionally find something I'd forgotten that I had.
Regards,
Squire
never2close

Post by never2close »

In Houston, it is necessary to choose ones' fragrance based on the ambient temperature. I find my colder weather frags do not do well in blast furnace heat with the accompanying high humidity that is common in Houston. Likewise, my hot weather scents smell a bit thin and uninteresting in the colder weather. Also, it's a reasonable excuse to own twice as many frags.
Ken
Araner

Post by Araner »

My Summer scent is the same as my Winter, Spring and Fall scent; and that would be Casswell-Massey’s Lime cologne. Unfortunately, it seems that it’s been discontinued.

Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, the C-M lime, haven't used that one in years, used to enjoy it quite a lot.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

The way the C-M products are disappearing I have to wonder how much longer that company will be around. Let's not ever get into the pitiful shave creams and soaps they've produced in recent years.
Cheers,

Craig
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Big fan of Immortelle - Sables and HdP 1740 being top of my list.

When I want 'summer' Immortelle I reach for Nuit Etoille.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tim - I need to try that Essentric Molecules or some of what you made up. I read at Basenotes that some of the guys did that and it was the same.

Read up on Heeley Menthe Fraiche - good for like 2 to 3 hours and either it dissappears or is a skin scent

Some of what I am consider:

I am getting Montale Red Vetyver for sure

Considering: Dior Vetiver, Miller Harris Citron Citron or Tangerine Vert, Maison Kurkdjian something, either Acqua Universalis or Cologne Pour le Soire
Used to have Acqua di parma Colonia and the Essenza and could go back to the Colonia.

I like a bit of citrus but some smell either lemon/plastic or like some sort of cleaner or furniture polish. Frapin Speakeasy sounds appealing (a mojito it is said) but boozy in summer, I dont know, and I am leaning to 1270 or Caravelle Epicee for a fall scent.

Atelier Cologne has Orange Sanquine which is said to be like an orange creamsicle but AC is short lived on me, and Grand Neroli was nothing special.
Duvid

Post by Duvid »

I'm in love with Hanae Mori Pour Homme. I think this is the best summer scent and goes along perfectly with those summer nights when I'm with a female friends. :wink:
Duvid Led
shaving creme
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome to SMF, Duvid!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace