New Penhaligon's Scent coming

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

Re: New Penhaligon's Scent coming

Post by never2close »

It is not illegal for British vendors to ship fragrances to the USA, but it is expensive. New regulations classify fragrances as dangerous substances, so shipping costs are very high. In all fairness, several fragrances that I've sampled over the years, are in fact, dangerous to my sense of smell........
Ken
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Bargepole wrote: As for "juicy" quince... coconut: yes. Violet: yes. Pale musk: yes. Juicy? Excuse me? What's the smell of juicy?

Bah.
The only quince I've smelled have been slowly withering and browning ones in a big chinese bowl that my mother filled with them from her quince bush. They did smell lovely - which was why she did it - but I can't say it was juicy. Perhaps they are using the same chemicals as in the appalling JuicyFruit gum?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Ah!...thank you for the clarification as I couldn't remember exactly what Robert had posted at the time that these new regs. went into effect. So, it's not really 'illegal', merely untenable....sigh...what next?!
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Smuggling and passing the goods in dark alleys I guess.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"...brandy for the parson and baccy for the clerk..." yep, just like the old days huh?
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I thought the problem was with the actual package shipper, not the law. Some British on-line retailers (e.g. Connaught) state flatly
that they simply won't ship products containing alcohol...it was my assumption that Royal Mail regs were the reason.
Quien sabe?

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I just shrug my shoulders and move on.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

If only we had a SMF member in the UK who could surreptitiously mail us colognes and after shaves. We could even pay him a gratuity for his services. Wink wink nod nod.........
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As we sink deeper into the abyss.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

French postcards, bootlegged fragrance...anyone want to buy a genuine Rolex??

step into the alley...

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Wait, they mucked with Hammam? Animals.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:If only we had a SMF member in the UK who could surreptitiously mail us colognes and after shaves. We could even pay him a gratuity for his services. Wink wink nod nod.........
I always offered my services in the past (as many will attest), until someone accused me of not being quite on the level, so I'm afraid it's a case of 'I'm alright Jack, pull the ladder up'.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I doubt I could get through the choices I already have in my lifetime.
Regards,
Squire
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Sounds like it might be interesting were it not for the base of cedar and sandalwood. I'm quite allergic to cedar and a little bit allergic to sandalwood.

I just wish that cologne manufacturers could figure out a way to make a scent that doesn't have a damned cedar/sadalwood base!
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

kingfisher wrote:Sounds like it might be interesting were it not for the base of cedar and sandalwood. I'm quite allergic to cedar and a little bit allergic to sandalwood.

I just wish that cologne manufacturers could figure out a way to make a scent that doesn't have a damned cedar/sadalwood base!
Are you allergic to these EOs or to the synthetics used to create their scent? Sandalwood EO is almost never used; cedar EO is used, but there are different species - Virginia, Atlas, Himalayan - and allergy to one will not dictate allergy to another. Realistically, most sandalwood scents these days are synthetics: javanol, ebanol, a touch of a couple of other aromachemicals, etc. Even cheapo cedar oil is usually replaced by cedramber, iso e super, or some other chemical.

All that said, given the restrictions on oakmoss and a few musks, synthetic sandalwood, cedar, patchouli, and vanilla/tonka are just about the only bases that can be used these days, and of course there can be variety within these types of bases, but the big houses seem to settle for cedramber and iso e super (and even that is now limited by IFRA guidelines) these days.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

TRBeck wrote:... the big houses seem to settle for cedramber and iso e super (and even that is now limited by IFRA guidelines) these days.
You forgot -- hang on while I... where's my chalk?... okay, that's the pentacle and just let me light these candles and can someone hand me the Holy water... thanks -- Ambroxan (a sort of fizzy, scratchy, woody/amber that's eaten a whole bunch of modafinil and crystal meth and then gone clubbing in its skivvies).

The vanillas are also increasingly in the frame, guiacols are cursed, and how long Andy Tauer is going to get away with it all is anybody's guess.

Somebody told me -- seriously -- that Perrier are looking into fragrance opportunities. I believe them. BeBubbly™ by Perrier. I can just see it now. *facepalm*
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis