Rich man, poor man sandalwoods

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
John N.

Rich man, poor man sandalwoods

Post by John N. »

I have been on a sandalwood kick lately, and have searched high and low (decants clutter my house :roll: ) for what would be THE ONE. I believed I had found it when I picked up a 4ml decant of Profumum Roma Santalum. This perfume carries both myrrh and cinnamon, but it is really all about a strong, dark linear sandalwood that is quite masculine and absolutely intoxicating. The only problem is the price...$240.00 for 100ml at Lucky Scent...the decant wasn't cheap either. So, on to plan B...find a less expensive sandalwood that also rings my bell loudly. What I found was a wonderful sandalwood scent lurking at the other end of the price spectrum...Caswell Massey Sandalwood cologne...$36.00 for 100ml. This cologne has a spicy citrus opening that soon morphs into a lovely earthy sandalwood that is both creamy and not too sweet...also quite intoxicating. I have been doing the "forearm comparison test" with these two all day (trying to be subtle and sly while out in public) and have concluded that I am enamored of both. Current plan is to use the CM cologne the majority of the time while keeping a largish decant of the Profumum on hand for those special events.
At some point I may add AOS Sandalwood EDT to the roster, but that is for another time.
J.
John N.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Rich man, poor man sandalwoods

Post by bernards66 »

John, Well then, it sounds like you're done. If the C-M version does it for you as a day-to-day 'sandalwood' scent then you're home free. It's been a number of years since I've sniffed that one but I vaguely remember it as being 'good' and pretty potent ( admittedly I have not checked out most of the uber expensive 'boutique' sandalwood scents ). Their older Tricorn Cologne also has a noticeable sandalwood note in it. I wore that one daily many years ago. At $36 a bottle, enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good choice John, C-M Sandalwood is one of the old standbys. Other choices in that price range are D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave and Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood aftershave. I know, not colognes, but they're potent.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Yes, and the Taylor's version is available in cologne strength for just a couple of bucks more and it does have more staying power than the A/S.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

How about Brooks Brothers 1818, I understand that it's a classy sandalwood scent. It's available on discount from many venues online.

Also, how does Harris Sandalwood compare to TOBS Sandalwood? I have the latter and am a fan of it.
Cheers,

Craig
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got a bottle of Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood cologne from a former member of these forums and like it. you might find some at a large store like Macys. Maybe on ebay. I found some genuine mysore sandalwood soap on ebay and it is very pungent. Might serve to satisfy your craving, and it is real, not synthetic sandalwood.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I get more spice than sandalwood out of 1818 but it's in the ball park. Neat stuff, I should wear it more often.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, To my nose the Brooks Brothers 1818 is quite similiar to the Taylors. The D R Harris's Sandalwood Aftershave is not; it is more a woody, balsamic, almost camphoreous type scent.
Regards,
Gordon
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

C-M sandalwood is very nice if you can get it. I prefer things more woody than sweet and therefore AOS and Diptyque Tam Dao suit me more, but I could do with C-M if need be. Tricorn, sadly, is no more.

Harris is medicinal, tangy, camphoraceous... I like it but find little overlap with Taylor's blend of herbal, floral, and woody notes in a clean, classic barbershop style. Brooks Bros. 1818 hews closer to the Taylor scent, but a bit sweeter and more leathery. One of the all time bargains in men's scent IMO, it is essentially like TOBS sandalwood applied in a leather barber chair and chased with talc. Much as I like it, though, I ultimately prefer TOBS as a straightforward gentlemen's scent. I suppose the difference maker may be the rose note, which 1818 lacks (as does Harris).

By the way, I appreciate Pete mentioning Arden sandalwood, available for very little money. Slightly powdery and basically a 50:50 shot of lavender and sandalwood, it comes on a bit like Mennen Skin Bracer without menthol in its effect if not its precise notes. Old school in a very good sense.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Also, how does Harris Sandalwood compare to TOBS Sandalwood? I have the latter and am a fan of it.
Harris is a dryer, woodier, sharper scent compared to Taylors softer, sweeter, rounder style. I can be generous with Taylor but have to apply Harris more sparingly because it projects noticeably on me.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Wow, I am impressed with you gentlemen's sense of smell. I never have been able to sort out what contributes to the overall scent of colognes, edts or aftershaves. I only know if it has the impression of citrus or a basic fragrance. I like some, don't like others . It is as simple as that. Some I wear because others have said it smelled so good on me. One such is Insense by Gevinchy. Originally got it based on Turin's recommendation. Can't identify what it smells like tho.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

'Smells good on me' is about as good a recommendation as I can think of Pete.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

'Smells good on me
well, only if off the lips of a hottie otherwise it doesnt count!! haha
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader