Ok, fall and winter scent time

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Ok, fall and winter scent time

Post by Sam »

As many know, I buy a cologne, tire of it, sell it, and perhaps buy it back later down the road.

I am down to Chanel Coromandel, a patchouli scent, for fall and winter, and then Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain for all year, a resinous, dry, and incensy/smokey scent.

Here are some I have thoughts on:

Comme des Garcons 2 Man - I like it as it is unique, with a white-smokiness vibe going, but then sometimes, it just fades on me. Besides I have Tauer LDDM.

Lubin Idole - sweet sugar cane sort of scent but a bit thin. DIfferent, Not as loud as the old Aramis Havana or Czech and Speake Cuba (and not a cigar tobacco). Prefer the Eau de Toilette but no one sells it anymore. The Parfum seems a bit thin, more sugar cane and leather and not that bequiling Cuban spicyness as I recall from the Toilette.

Frapin Caravelle Epicee - harsh and jumbled at first, nice dry down, lasts a bit and projects. Could be a second bottle contender, but does not elate me.

Feeling the love for a rose scent. Noir de Noir by Tom Ford was too dark, same with C&S 88 and Montale Dark Aoud. Too floral and rosey was Creed Fleur de Rose Bulgarie.

Le Labo Rose 31 - worried about projection and longevity
Kurdjian Lumiere Pour Homme - projection and sweetness worries, but guys at Basenotes seem to really love it.
Probably down to one of these two. Rose 31 may not last as long but I think it may project more. More woody and spicy. The Lumiere may last longer, but it may go to a skin scent quicker, but lots of people love this one.
I think from the ones listed, it could be one of these two.

Also, Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir. Bargepole, is this a scent I can wear to the office, say maybe 30 minutes to an hour after I apply it? I loved how it projected and lasted. From reading, I think it would be a hard scent to wear but it would last and project the most of any of those listed.

Not into powdery or lots of vanilla.
SRD

Re: Ok, fall and winter scent time

Post by SRD »

Bois du Portugal and AdP Oud for me this fall/winter.
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam -- you're penchant with scents never ceases to amaze me. You always talk of fragrances I have never even heard of. Oh the life of a scent-sensitive wet-shaver. I am good with soaps and some creams, but colognes and after-shaves usually kill me. Ergo my use of GFT Skin Foods (all three work fine for me).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

jww wrote:. . . Oh the life of a scent-sensitive wet-shaver. . .
This forum makes for great reading even for those of us with scent-sitivities. The Bargepole prose takes it to another level.
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam wrote:As many know, I buy a cologne, tire of it, sell it, and perhaps buy it back later down the road.
Not a habit you should get into with Leica lenses. :oops:

I look forward to being edumacated a bit more by this thread.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me too but then I'll probably forget it.
Regards,
Squire
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

creed orange spice
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

First, Coromandel and l'Air ... if they are your two staples then we don't need to do Big Data; we already know all about your olfactory self (merged, of course, with the o.s. of Mrs Sam, which is as it should be).

Here's my take, for what it's worth.

Comme des Garcons 2 Man: not as interesting as plain CdG 2 and, to my taste, a bit middle-ground. And as you say, the Tauer will do the same job and much more interestingly.

Idole: just sweet. I don't quite see the point of it, which is odd because I love the much-reviled Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum (on a bird, anyway; it's pretty unequivocal and its message can be summarized in what a rather annoyed gal said years ago outside her Central Park South apartment: "So are we going to fool around, or are you a fag like all the other English fags?").

Caravelle Epicée: This is the wrong time of year for something which does not elate you.

Rose: be bold; try Une Rose (or indeed Lipstick Rose) from Frédéric Malle. Though if anyone asks what the second one is, you'd have to be economical with the truth: "Just a rose cologne from some French house". Having said that, the Le Labo is good but not particularly rosy, from memory, and the Kurkdjian lasts better. I don't know about the guys from Basenotes. I can't quite fathom them. The ones I've met -- including the guy who started it, largely to demonstrate his skills as a web designer, so he told me -- seem nice enough, normal chaps, but there are some out-and-out headbanging lunatics there, with mighty industrial walk-in cool rooms with 3,500 different scents inside, and a prevailing aesthetic of... well, a slightly epicene urban 27-year-old real estate broker from Singapore with a gold Patek Philippe, a colour-coded designer wardrobe, a Mont Blanc highlighter and a stealth-grey Boxster but no girl/boyfriend... the image of Gok Wan springs to mind, which I wish it wouldn't, but I may be wrong. In any case I am slightly idiotic to suspect an overlay of narcissism since narcissism is a necessary precondition of wearing perfume; god knows I have a hefty dose of it and I'm an ugly old brute. Where was I? Ah yes

Absolue pour le Soir. Well unequivocally "yes", I'd say, though, like learning, best lightly worn. It's the same sort of mood as l'Air, but the carnal undertones blow more from the tanneries than the souk. Both of them, for me, are unequivocally set in Fès.

(As a side note... This idea of some scents being "hard to wear" is something I don't quite get. What we mean, I think, is that we worry it may give a dodgy message to the sort of people who are on the lookout for something to misinterpret or complain about. Feckin' gobshites. To hell with them. The other thing is worrying about our cologne writing cheques that our appearance/age/marital status/credit rating can't cash. By which token I should find most of my favourites not hard but impossible to wear. I mean, Lone Star Memories? Ambre Fetiche? KOUROS, for heaven's sake? But they're not hard to wear. They're easy. Squirt the stuff on, grab your hat, leave the house. C'est ça.)

Figaro of course is on the button with Orange Spice. I haven't smelt it for ages but it's very French and very suave, like a beautifully but idiosyncratically-dressed malign old seducer gazing invitingly over the foliage in his mojito at some sweet young thing with gypsy eyebrows, reading Derrida in a crepe-de-Chine frock and blue court shoes and twisting an unlit Gitane in her pale fingers... go and visit The Sartorialist's site and look at the old dudes he likes to photograph: that's Orange Spice. I remember it as having cumin and costus lurking inside, but of course the costus will have been illegal'd out... but get it while you can; they're ditching the "classic" grey-top Creeds in favour of bottled doolally ab-dabs like Aventus -- another chest-wig-for-the-Bugis-Street-set fantasy that for some reason I can't even smell in my mind's nose without getting a powerful recollection Christopher Lee getting a faceful of vitriol in Corridors of Blood, but enough of that.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: And now abideth Absolue pour le Soir, Une Rose, Orange Spice, these three; but the greatest of these is Absolue pour le Soir. (With apologies to 1 Cor. 13:xiii)

Mkay. Back to "work".
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

drmoss_ca wrote: Not a habit you should get into with Leica lenses. :oops:

Chris
SHUT UP about that old 35mm Summilux. That goes for the Noctilux and the... no. NO. I am NOT LISTENING *sticks fingers in ears, sobs*.
Michael

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh, I've done it. I'm on my third Summilux 75. But I'll keep this one till I need the money for taxes or something (which is what happened to the first two).

I learnt a new word today - petrichor, which seems apposite to the discussion of autumnal scents. Now I have the right word for the wet-earth underlying the rose in Voleur de Rose.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Figaro wrote:creed orange spice
YES! he exclaimed with finallity! Sounds good. Gotta try this one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

drmoss_ca wrote:...till I need the money for taxes or something ...
You, too? I thought I was the only one.
I learnt a new word today - petrichor, which seems apposite to the discussion of autumnal scents. Now I have the right word for the wet-earth underlying the rose in Voleur de Rose.

Chris
I used to live in a house which was built on a sandstone rock. Coumarin and patchouli remind me of the smell of rain on sandstone as summer drew to a close. So now I have the right word for that, too. Much obliged.
Michael

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the thread....great discussion even for those that are scent challenged

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

brothers wrote:
Figaro wrote:creed orange spice
YES! he exclaimed with finallity! Sounds good. Gotta try this one.
The only Creed I own and a perfect fragrance. Like Kouros but fresher (actually, closer to fraicheur). Although I have no point of reference this is what I think 'Barbershop' smells like.

Wife adores it, which is a bonus.

Luckily for us Brits, there is a source for the old 'grey caps' at very reasonable prices - well, for Creed anyway!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All this discussion makes me pine for days when I wasn't scent sensitive ----- oh the irony of it all ....... :(
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

joe mcclaine wrote:
Luckily for us Brits, there is a source for the old 'grey caps' at very reasonable prices - well, for Creed anyway!
What source is that? There used to be a place in Queensway but they're not there any more; where's the place you're thinking of? A flagon of Orange Spice and one of Baie de Genievre and I'd be happy (or happy-ish, since they killed Royal English Leather and Royal Delight).
Michael

RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
changabang

Post by changabang »

You English blokes are priceless. I'm in prose heaven, even if I don't understand a word you're saying. Blimey!
James Nicks
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Malle a bit pricey for me. Absolue I may revisit

So Orange Spice if i can find it

And between Le Labo Rose 31 and Lumiere for a rose. Michael can you compare these two head to head for longevity and projection and adaptability for year round and all occassion wear?
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Bargepole wrote:
joe mcclaine wrote:
What source is that? There used to be a place in Queensway but they're not there any more; where's the place you're thinking of? A flagon of Orange Spice and one of Baie de Genievre and I'd be happy (or happy-ish, since they killed Royal English Leather and Royal Delight).
Cheapsmells.com

I was in retro, power-house heaven ... Giorgio, z-14, Oscar Pour Lui, Zino, Boss #1 and lots of others.

They change stock quite often so sometimes there's lots of choice, others not so much.

One of the few places in UK to buy Aramis Havana (new bottle).