anyone try art of shaving Balm?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
flintlock

anyone try art of shaving Balm?

Post by flintlock »

Hi all, New to all this. I was at the Art of Shaving store the other day and received a free sample of there After Shave Balm. :(
Not only does it smell Bad, It make my skin to Tight and to Dry. Any recommendations on a good after shave lotion? Thanks.

Anthony
JRTASTER

Re: anyone try art of shaving Balm?

Post by JRTASTER »

One I use. based on several recommendations here, is Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Post Shave Healer.
Probably cheaper than the AOS and available on line as well as in major dept. stores.
Nordstrom's online offers free shipping. Sometimes they, or the Clinique online store will offer "gift with purchase"
or free samples.
Excellent soothing properties, light, easily absorbed; what scent there is won't clash with your A/S
or cologne.
I use it daily both as an aftershave balm and a light moisturizer.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Nice. I'll take a look at it. It was funny I went up to the wife and said take a smell. She jumped back and said YUK!!. LOL. I'd like to get some thing that will drive the women Crazy. :lol: How about the Organic after shaves? Anyone know of any?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Anthony, Well, that's a new one I have to admit. The AoS aftershave balms ( at least as I remember them...who knows if they're the same now that P&G own the brand ) were quite heavy and 'oily'. This is why I didn't care for them....or for most other 'aftershave balms'. You are the first to say that they actually dried out your skin (?!). Aftershave products are an area that is as personal and quirky as fragrances....everyone must experiment some to find the type of product that works well for their skin and for what they want. Personally I'm not interested in any sort of 'moisterizer' or anything heavy that tends to noticeably stay on my skin. I just want a soothing and discreet product that does it's job and fades away quickly. For scent I rely on cologne. Because these are my criteria I use D R Harris's Pink Aftershave or when traveling the Clinque Post Shave Healer mentioned above. But your wants and needs in the area might be quite different from mine. Best of luck on your search.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Anthony,

I'm not sure what scent you tried, but my recollection is that AOS provided samples of the unscented products, so you may just be smelling the product without added fragrance. I agree with Gordon that the AOS Aftershave Balm is really more of a moisturizer (and without any sun protection for that matter). You might want to try the AOS Aftershave Gel, which is much lighter.

Ken
John N.

Post by John N. »

I very much like the AOS sandalwood balm, but must agree that it is pretty heavy. My solution to this is to use a small dab, and apply to a "wettish" face. This seems to work well, and makes for a very fine winter ASB. I also use the lighter scentless Clinique Healer which is also a top tier product.
J.
John N.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I'm a big fan of George F. Trumper Skin Food. It's not too heavy, either on scent or feel. If you visit their Web site they'll send you a free sample.
Regards,
Mike