Looking for a new cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Mr.Max

Looking for a new cologne

Post by Mr.Max »

Hello gents,
I'm hoping you can help me out here. I am looking for a new cologne to have for every day use. I have been using the Taylor's sandalwood latey, and while I like it, I want to try something else. I am looking for a warm rich spicy kind of scent and something that's not going to break the bank. Trumpers Spanish leather is my absolute favorite, but I won't wear it all the time because of price. The Harris Albany sounds like it might be up my alley. Any suggestions?
~Matt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Looking for a new cologne

Post by Squire »

Taylor's Shave Shop is a potpourri of warm spices.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Matt, Hmmm....an interesting question and one that falls into my own little niche of fragrance 'knowledge' ( unlike say Sam whose questions, these days, can only be meaningfully fielded by Mr. Bargepole and a couple of others...sigh.. ). Trumpers Spanish Leather is also my favourite cologne ( along with Penhaligon's English Fern ) and I do use it regularly despite the price. Often I've opted for the A/S version as it is less pricey and is easier to find in the classic 100ml splash bottles that I insist upon. I also use Taylors Sandalwood regularly ( and not many others ) so I think I have a feel for the type of scent you're looking for. But whether there IS one is another question. You might try the D R Harris's Albany but be aware that despite how their description reads the cologne has quite a lot of vanilla in it. Vanilla is not a note that I care for in men's fragrances and the Albany ( or at least their 'His' cologne which was Albany's previous name ) had that note to a marked degree. Of course if you're okay with vanilla then it should work out quite well. Many of the other Taylor scents are somewhat similiar to each other but not, IMO, to their Sandalwood. The only other colognes that come readily to mind are either not available anymore or are more expensive that the Trumpers. I don't think Pashana has anything similiar but I could be wrong....I'm not that knowledgeable regarding their full line. D R Harris Marlbourgh conceivably. Primarily sandalwood and cedarwood notes in that one. Best of luck in your search.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I today splurged and at fragrancenet.com signed up for the 20% off coupon and free shipping. Got some Serge Lutens Chergui for $60.15 for a tester (basically the box is thrown away and you save $5). Sweet, some spice, comforting. Not as good as before the reformulation but it lasts like forever and is a projecting scent.

I also tend to avoid vanilla and powdery scents and heavy lavendar. Love coffee, fresh tobacco, and smokey scents. Got a sample of Amouage Interlude and it is all I want, but $240 for it is way too much (think that is even 1.5 ounces, not 3.3).

I am thinking Frank Los Angeles No 2 is great, try luckyscent.com and read up and it is 100ml for $100. they have a top ten list of winter, and spice, and masculine. I tend to go with them unless I can get it cheaper at say fragrancenet, which is how I saved like $60 on the Chergui,
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Thanks for the suggestions, I may give the albany a shot. The vanilla doesn't sound bad to me, but I guess I'll just have to check it out for myself.
~Matt
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Max, Gordon brought up an interesting possibility when he briefly mentioned Pashana. I think it may fit the bill and it's very cheap but doesn't smell cheap. What's nice is you can get a generous sample from, I believe, Connaught. It's a very economical way to try it before putting out for a whole bottle. This is one I like very much especially when the weather turns cold.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I use Taylors' Mr. Taylor---a gentlemans scent. Can't really say it is spicy though. Maybe they will send you some samples.
Ouchmychin (Pete)