EAU DE PORTUGAL SCENTS

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
JRTASTER

EAU DE PORTUGAL SCENTS

Post by JRTASTER »

OK...I admit to be totally baffled by the erudite discussions documented here...and also to being totally unsophisticated
when it comes to the nuances of fragrance selections...but let me try anyway!
Recognizing that it is inexpensive (or cheap if you prefer) the fleeting scent of the Pinaud Eau de Portugal strikes me
as most pleasant...clean, bright, refreshing, and to my nose, masculine!
What other similar scents are there...roughly the same nose, but perhaps more intense and certainly longer lasting?
Not horribly expensive ( around $100 for 100 ml ??).
I haven't sampled Creed Orange Spice... is it close to an E D Portugal family?? GFT offers a scent labeled eau de
Portugal... is it something I'd like? D R Harris' Arlington's "oranegey"/citrus notes seem reminiscent, but the after-
shave version at least is hardly enduring!
My new home is an hour from the closest department stores, but my computer puts me in touch with many e-tailers,
so distribution/availability is a consideration.
Any suggestions??
Thanks,
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: EAU DE PORTUGAL SCENTS

Post by Squire »

With the exception of Creed Bois du Portugal (a different animal I know but it has Portugal in the name) the Eau du Portugals I've tried were light, citrusy, fleeting things. Harris Arlington is a bit spicer than what I think of as Portugals in general, have you tried the Trumper's version?
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

It's hard to recommend anything with staying power in the range you provided. With that said I will go out of your range and recommend Penhaligon's Douro/Lords. Great scent with decent longevity and a price tag far too large for what it is (even though my vintage bottle is very high quality).

My next recommendation would be Trumper's. Excellent stuff with no staying power but also very high quality nonetheless.

Similar but not the same I'd put D.R. Harris Arlington which, to me, smells more orangey in the opening than limes. Different animal but very nice opening.

That's all I got. Good luck!

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

No, when it comes to D R Harris's their 'Traditional Cologne' is their 'eau de Portugal' ( or their Portugal hair dressing used as a cologne ). But it, like the Trumpers version or other traditional eau de Portugals, is not that 'strong' or long lived. An exception is the aforementioned Penhaligon's Lords/Douro. I don't know what the current version is like but Lords was a genuine 'eau de Portugal' albeit an unusual one. It was quite potent and on me it's staying power was phenomenal. This style scent was once a mainstay but it, like Spanish Leather, has become a rarity. I do appreciate that Trumpers still offers both in addition to a masculine Lavender Water.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

As expected, great input here! Thanks!!!
Seems like my $100 budget wasn't realistic, unless I am willing to
forgo longevity and go with the GFT version (around $ 65 for
100 ml). But, if I can get someone to read my letter to Santa,
which will include the Penhaligon's version on my wish list!, even
at around twice that retail price.
Too late to take the nice vs naughty road, but maybe Santa wasn't
paying close attention!
jr/John
jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Quite so regarding 'naughty or nice' but maybe Santa is feeling especially tolerant this year (?) Still, keep in mind the caveat above; I was writing about the old Penhaligon's Lords cologne. While it seems safe to assume that their current 'Douro Eau de Portugal' is in the same general vein, it is doubtful that it is of the same quality and the depth and longevity may not be quite what they used to be. Not meaning to be a downer but I felt I owed it to you to add this caution.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

John, I have an almost never used bottle of portugal via trumpers which i hate (the scent is ok, the way it pours is totally frustrating) and so if you would like, i'll send it to you. if you like it and want to keep it im sure you'll pay a fair price, and if not you can forward it on to some other poor soul in need of being portugaled :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Clive, many thanks for your kind offer! A PM is on its way!
jr/John
jr/John