Clubman After Shave (Need Recommendation)

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DirtyBird96

Clubman After Shave (Need Recommendation)

Post by DirtyBird96 »

A short sentence that describes it best "Knocked me out!".

I hate this stuff so bad. When I first put Clubman After Shave(original) on my face I assumed the aroma would settle quickly being that it is alcohol based. But the smell never went away. I waited 4 hours before finally rinsing off. I have rinsed my face twice now and the smell is still there. I might need to take a shower. Not only that, but it didn't out perform my Lubriderm for men(Light fragrance) is better for both moisture and smell. I wanted to like this stuff, but holy cow, this stuff is strong.

I am looking for recommendations on a lotion. I like my Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, and am looking at the aftershave lotion for it. But the reviews are mixed on amazon. I might stick with my Lubriderm, but it does take away from the ritualistic side of it a little(not much).
brothers

Re: Clubman After Shave (Need Recommendation)

Post by brothers »

You obviously have a very sensiive olfactory faculty. Just kidding! Different ones affect each of us differently. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped for. On the other end of the spectrum, I have found a few after shave lotions that don't seem to have any detectable fragrance (to my nose, of course). Speick and Booster Iced Lime and Polar Ice after shave lotions have something that I can faintly smell just at the moment I am pouring a few drops into the palm of my hand and getting ready to splash it on my face, then they instantly disappear! Quite a surprise, but hey, that 1/10th of a second while my nose is reporting some activity, I like how they smell. Just wish they would keep on having a fragrance so I and all of the people around me on the elevator, etc., could enjoy them even for a moment or two. And to be sure, I do not prescribe to the notion that more would be better. Now that would not work at all! I'm hoping not to offend anyone, and I firmly believe a scent-less after shave is a better approach than the opposite.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A very soothing and lightly-scented product is G.F. Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food. You might be able to pick up a sample for low cost to try before buying a full bottle.
_______
John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

DB, if you're in the USA PM me your address and I'll send you 2 samples of Kramperts Finest. I have the same sensitive nose and ... well, try what I send. You just might like it. I also formulated it for skin moisturizing so one splash on each cheek does it all.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

DB,
Aside from some aftershave splashes ( I happen to like the Clubman), which are used primarily for basic fragrance, not heavy duty
skin "treatment," the Speick is the only one I've tried...lightly scented and some soothing qualities.
Many people here are high on the Trumper's Skin Food, which as noted comes in a light Sandalwood version.... since you
seem to have enjoyed GFT's Sandalwood shave cream.
Brian's Kramperts Finest is highly thought of too and you should take him up n his very generous sample offer!
Some people like me like to use an aftershave balm/moisturizer/treatment in addition to, not in place of, a scented
aftershave splash for additional skin-care qualities. Her again recommendations are plentiful... let me put in a plug for
my choice: Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Post Shave Healer, selected on the basis of several SMF recommendations.
You seem to be happy with your current choice of Lubriderm for Men, so carry on!
If you read the Shave of the Day posts on a regular basis you will be able to see for yourself the dazzling array of all types of shave
products used by the gentlemen here... this may give you additional ideas for products you may decide to include in your regime!
Welcome to SMF and enjoy your wetshave experience!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John