Bay Rums

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
mrhaywoode

Bay Rums

Post by mrhaywoode »

I have recently ordered Gabel's, Lucky Tiger, and Humco Bay Rum after shaves. Does have any "experience" and opinions with these bay rums, especially the Humco product it seems kind of off the beaten path.
Thanks
gsgo

Re: Bay Rums

Post by gsgo »

No experience with those particular Bay Rums but while your at it, I usualy suggest trying Superior 70 and Dominica w/Lime.
Good shaving,

Gary
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've tried the Gabels and it's a decent, barbershop-type BR with the usual hit-and-run scent that comes across as a bit "artificial." For a few bucks more, the Krampert's and Dominica far outclass it.
Ron
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

For as much as I have seen it panned and denigrated on forums, Pinaud's Bay Rum has gotten me more compliments than any of the others. (St. John's is a distant second)
~Greg
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I can't help much with your question, but if you want to try to excellent Bay Rum's that also have good conditioning, you might take a look at Krampert's Bay Rum Acadian Spice and Captain's Choice. I have both. The Krampert's is my "go to" Bay Rum and one of my favorite aftershaves period. (I also have the Pinaud VI Bay Rum).
brothers

Post by brothers »

My experience is similar to Greg's regarding Pinaud's Bay Rum. I also like Krampert's Finest.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No experience with the ones in the OP but I find Bay Rum to be such a distinctive scent I have never been able to pick out much in the way of subtleties.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Just on a point of order regarding Pinaud's Bay Rum, to call it bay rum is a bit of a stretch. If you take a look at the ingredients it is basically alcohol, fragrance and coloring. Now I am not saying that it does not smell good or works well as an aftershave, it just hardly is any where close to being a true bay rum. The true curative nature of bay rum comes from the properties of the bay oil component.
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Cost saving measure I'm sure Gary.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been a bay rum lover for many years but I have no experience at all with the original posters list. I like them all but my favorite is also Pinaud Virgin Island. It has more "punch" than any other I have tried. Females in my life do not like it for that reason and find the pumpkin pie scent unattractive. Maybe that's why I like it--=-it is truly a mans scent.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Bay Rum does rule IMO.

Terry
Questend

Post by Questend »

Krampert's Bay Rum Acadian Spice gets my vote.
dosco

Post by dosco »

The Pinaud bay rum reminds me of the old days in the barber shop, but when applied straight is 1) too strong a scent, and 2) too cloying/lasting (my hands smell like it at the end of the day ... yuck).

So what I do is put a splash in my hand (maybe 3 drops) and then water it down with some CVS ethyl rubbing alcohol. Just enough for me to smell it but no enough to make me stink all day long.

The other thing with the Pinaud is that it burns like hell. Much more than an alcohol burn.

Finally, you can have your hand at making your own. Get some Everclear or vodka, allspice, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and bay rum oil (the scent oil is available at places like Whole Foods). Put the spices in a jar of alcohol and let it soak for several weeks (or months). Add the scent oil until you like how it smells. I gave it a try and liked it and the scent was very fleeting (not cloying).

Cheers-
Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

My two favorites are Krampert's Acadian Spice, and though I don't claim to know the ingredients, I'm certain that the maker uses excellent stuff because the finished product is world class. My other favorite is Pinaud Virgin Island. Again the ingredients aren't as important to me as the final product. It's obviously good because a lot of people are buying it and using it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Krampert's Bay Rum Acadian Spice ingredients:
Ingredients: Witch Hazel, alcohols (isopropyl, ethyl and propoxylated), vegetable glycerine, natural scent and color from spices.

Great scent and conditioning.
worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

My favorite is Floris Bay Rum.
z

Post by z »

I scored some of the $3-buck-chuck Superior 70 yesterday. Some of the local area Walgreens within 10 miles or so have magically started carrying it, where they did not a few months ago.

How is it? Surprisingly good. Lacks the level of bay that one would find in Dominica. Smells closer to Pinaud, but without the spice and overpowering smell after drydown. Has a bit of a fresh carrot and bay smell when fresh from the bottle. Ends up similar to Dominica after drydown, but requires a little extra to match its strength. Ends up a bit less spicy and more floral. Dominica clearly has more bay rum oil.

For the price, it seems like a winner. My Dominica stock is so low, that I needed an alternative. And though I am growing to like Pinaud VIB a bit more (I originally hated it), I still can only handle it on certain occasions.

I like this and will keep it in the rotation. A lot of other AS are just to offensive and strong for me, and I prefer the light freshness of a simple real bay rum. Still waiting for Dominica stock to hit the market again, but this will hold me over for a while.
Zach
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've used Bay Rum all my shaving life and find the one I keep going back to is Royall Bay Rhum. I particularly like the menthol in it; addictive feel on the skin and a great scent.
Bryan
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

Another vote for Pinaud. But it is heavy on cloves !
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Still no word on when the large bottles of Dominica BR (and BR Lime) will be available again. Smaller spray bottles are available through the distributor. My BR Lime stock is lower than low, but I won't mind switching to the Krampert's. A good match with his new soap.
Ron