Penhaligon's Bayolea

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
rsp1202

Penhaligon's Bayolea

Post by rsp1202 »

Bay rum fragrance that began as a hair tonic and will evolve throughout their range of products. Created exclusively for the Duke of Edinburgh. Available this summer to us commoners. I'd be interested in this as an aftershave.

Any more info on this scent?
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Penhaligon's Bayolea

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Where did you pick up this information? On the face of it, this sounds like it might be one of Penhaligon's REALLY old products ( or a facsimile there-of ). We know that the original firm offered a number of scents that were never reintroduced when Sheila Pickles revived the firm in the earlier '70s. Somewhere deep in our archives is a thread ( and picture ) of one such aftershave or hair lotion ( the address on the label was in Bury Street if I recall, this was the shop's location before it moved to Old Bond Street ). So, I dunno, but I'd certainly like to hear more as well. I'd like to hear Mr. Bargepole's take on this.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, it was mentioned by a vendor on another forum, as well as being hyped on a social media site. The origin might have been a Pen's newsletter, I'm not sure, and at least sounds official.

Here's more:
"Bayolea is a zesty and invigorating Gentleman's Fragrance. Head notes: Lemongrass, Mandarin, Tangerine. Heart notes: Cardamom, Black Pepper, Neroli, Lavender. Bass notes: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Moss, Patchouli, Amber."

I don't see where the bay rum comes in, but it's prominently mentioned in the promo's. There will be an aftershave splash, shave soap, bath soap, etc. And yes, it's from the Pen's archive.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for this good news.
Last edited by brothers on Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Well I certainly agree that it doesn't sound like it's a traditional 'bay rum' from that list of fragrance notes. And while it may be from their archives it's not to be expected that this will necessarily be that much like the original scent. Still, it's interesting. I googled Penhaligon's Bayolea and came up with nada. Where did you lift that quote from and what was that 'social media' source?
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, I'm not speaking for Ron, but this was posted by Men's Essentials on B&B about 3 days ago. The full range of products is scheduled for release in August. My guess is that the social media refers to Facebook. Men's Essentials probably has a presence on FB these days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Thanks. That sounds likely.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gary got it right.
Just as an aside, while trying to track this down, I saw an article about the Prince of Wales using a special Penhaligon's hair tonic, made expressly for him. Supposedly something to combat his light-on-top condition (a Windsor trait, I believe. William is even worse, poor lad) as well as keeping him well groomed. No specific information was revealed about scent, etc., just a confirmation by Pen's that they have provided product for the PoW.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, The product is 'Pears Hairdressing'. Apparently it is something that Penhaligon's made at one time but now it is only made for Prince Charles. It's said that they refuse to provide it to anyone else. I've always wondered if, at the beginning, it was a Penhaligon's product or if, perhaps, decades ago it was made by another firm. In any case I'd like to know more. Where did you run across a reference to it?
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It appears you know more than The Telegraph, Gordon. I'm not surprised. :) Mostly generalized stuff here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -hair.html
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is news on this new Penhaligons line of men's grooming products. I understand it is available currently at Penhaligon's main UK website, (not for sale yet in North America) and that at least one CONUS vendor (Bullgoose shaving) has placed a large order and expects delivery mid-August. I am definitely on the waiting list. Ever since the excellent soap and fragrance Sartorial appeared, I'm all in when it comes to Penhaligons. This is an offering of a wide range of grooming products, and Pens says the shaving cream will be available in the beautiful glass jars. Something to watch for, certainly.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Well, let us know. On the face of it the scent notes they list might work for me but based on prior experience I have little faith in the chap who now seems to be creating their fragrances and 'reformulating' ( unfortunately IMO ) their classics. Still, I'm mildly interested. I expect to be in London in early Oct. so I'll probably get an opportunity to check it out in person then. Did you notice, in spite of their presenting Bayolea as a 'complete line' of gentlemen's grooming products there is no bath soap and no aftershave lotion. But there is exfoliating face scrub and other things that personally I DON"T consider as necessary or even desirable.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gordon, I will be anxiously awaiting your report from London.

Chris
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I have an old bottle of the original Bayolea with barely any left in it. The label says it's an "elegant adaptation of the Penhaligon Bay Rhum as a Tonic Wash and Dressing for the Hair". In practice, it was a perfectly pleasant bay rum with some oil in it. (Hence the name. Pronounced, incidentally, "Bay-OH-lee-uh" but I bet everyone calls this new one "Bay O'Lee". Heaven knows what "reimagining" means; I think more and more in the perfume business it means "passing off" but since the original Bayolea passed not just off but away years and years ago, they can do what they like and in any case it's their trademark. Probably.

Lists of ingredients never really give me more than the vaguest idea of what a fragrance will be like. The guy responsible is Mike Parrot who started off in IFF as a Quality Control dude & is now with CPL, a long-established house based in Bishops Stortford. He also did the new Empressa for Penhaligon, which I haven't smelled but cites vanilla, cocoa and maltol (think of burnt sugar/caramel) among its base notes -- a sort of effect, I'd imagine, popular with the sort of girls who hope guys they like will want to lick their neck. Cute and cheerful (there's peach - gamma-decalactone? - in there, too, so you get the picture) and a rather different clientele from their traditional customer base, which is probably a good thing for them since their traditional customer base is croaking at an increasing rate.

There doesn't seem to be anything nasty locker-room hair-gelled-prat in the list of notes. I'd guess a fairly bracing citric barber-shop effect -- oranges-and-lemons, cardamom, black pepper, neroli, lavender, cedar wood, sandalwood, musk, moss, patchouli, amber -- and in my (re-)imagination, the pre-reformulation Rive Gauche springs to mind. A twenty-something young buck in expensive espadrilles and a suntan; a bit of Imperial Pomade in his good haircut, Persol sunglasses and a pretty girlfriend who he's thinking about marrying but he's waiting to see how she fares on the sailing-boat he's hired for the last two weeks of this month before he commits himself. Dreams of a 46-foot Naiad and a Morgan Aero Coupe (bronze, cream roof, whitewall tyres) and may well get them eventually. A good-natured, affable sort of guy. I like him already. Oddly, I don't think he'd like his soon-to-be-fiancée to wear Empressa. Probably get her a bottle of Fracas or one of the Chanel Exclusifs. You know the kind of fellow. (The girl's got a cream-coloured Angora skirt and sweater and he thinks she just looks so CUTE in it he can't hardly believe his luck.)

That's my take, on nothing more than reading the notes-list. I may be entirely wrong but maybe I'll spring for a bottle and pretend I'm him.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Marvelous. The post, not the fragrance.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Michael.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You got me with the Morgan Michael, the only material possession in the World I actually covet.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Squire wrote:You got me with the Morgan Michael, the only material possession in the World I actually covet.
Me too. I was taken to the factory with a friend who has the three-wheeler. Drove them all, on the open road around Malvern. Haven't slept properly since.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've just placed an order for samples of Bayolea fragrance from Lucky Scent in California. He's fast about shipping, and it'll be a big help for me to experience the fragrance before I place an order for the shaving soap, cream, etc. whenever Bullgoose gets it in stock in the very near future.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I've been curios to try this fragrance, however here in Portugal it's pretty much impossible to find Penhaligon's anywhere, much less a "new" fragrance such as this.
Let me know how you like it, gents.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage