Village Barber Balm and Oil

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Johnny

Village Barber Balm and Oil

Post by Johnny »

From a small barber shop in Durham, UK comes two great products made by Iain Kane of The Village Barber. First let’s talk about what is in these products.

The following is the full list of ingredients for Village Barber SHAVING OIL:

Sweet Almond
Avocado
Lavender
Juniper
Patchouli
Geranium
Chamomile
Benzoin
Sandalwood
Myrrh
Eucalyptus
Frankincense
Clove
Cypress
Peppermint
Thyme  

The following are the full list of ingredients for Village Barber AFTERSHAVE BALM:

Purified Water
Sunflower Vegetable Oil
Vegetable Glycerin
Cetearyl Alcohol
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Almond Sweet Vegetable Oil
Shea Vegetable Butter
Natural Vitamin E
Macadamia Vegetable Oil
Phenoxyethanol
Stearic Acid
Caprylyl Glycol
Carbomer
Ceteareth-20
Dimethicone
Sodium Hydroxide

Now I have not had very good luck with shaving oils in the past and the first time I used this shaving oil my experience was no different. Everything from my face to the brush, razor, and even the sink had this oily film on them after I was through with my shave. I figured well, another shave oil bites the dust as for as I was concerned.

Then I read another users comments about how he used this product so I thought I would try it again. This time I just put 4 drops in my palm and rubbed my hands together real good, then started applying it to my damp face in a circular motion for about 30-45 seconds. After that I face lathered with MWF and boy, did I ever get a close, smooth, irritation free shave. I was shocked at just how smooth my face felt after the shave.

Now I’m one that likes to use an after shave lotion when I’m through and generally apply either Myrsol Emulsion or Speick Balm after. But this time I followed directions and just used a very small amount of the Village Barber Balm. I put a small amount in my palm and rubbed my hands together then started rubbing it into my face and neck area. A very pleasant scent that did not interfere with my after shave and my face felt smooth all day.

I also get excellent shaves just using the oil and balm without any soaps or creams.

So I would classify both of these as excellent products if used as directed.

There are two easy places to purchase the products from. If you are in Europe, you can purchase direct from Iain at The Village Barber or in North America you can purchase it from Chicago Shaving or West Coast Shaving
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Village Barber Balm and Oil

Post by Squire »

Thanks for the thorough report Johnny.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Village Barber Balm and Oil

Post by jww »

+1 -- funny, Durham may end up being a late addition to day trips in North Yorkshire later this year ....... hmmmm .... :-k
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?