Dominica Bay Rum with Lime aftershave . . .

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
rsp1202

Dominica Bay Rum with Lime aftershave . . .

Post by rsp1202 »

. . . has been out of stock just about everywhere for a long while. Same with the Bay Rum. Something to do with a fungus damaging the bay leaf crop. The importer is currently carrying only the 6-oz. spray top; Vermont Country Store has the 10-oz. bottle, but they've jacked the price 10 bucks higher than normal. I'm hoarding the half bottle I have left and using Krampert's BR -- which has been a top BR-only choice for me, as well as Captain's Choice Lime. But I love the Dominica BR+Lime combo and wonder when it will return. I haven't heard of any updates on this; has anyone?
Ron
gsgo

Re: Dominica Bay Rum with Lime aftershave . . .

Post by gsgo »

Thanks for the news, I too enjoy Dominica Bay Rum with Lime but also have Superior 70 and recently added Lucia Bay on a whim, they don't have the hint of lime like DBR but definitely meet my Bay Rum needs. We will have to keep a watch on the situation with Dominica.
Good shaving,

Gary
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I love the stuff and esteem it above any other bay rum. Perhaps Brian could make us a simulacrum using the finest limes from the Maine crop? What? Oh....

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

There's a current lime crop shortage as well.
Ron
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I contacted Calantilles, Dominica's distributor, to see what's going on with their bay rum shortage. They confirmed a fungus damaged the bay leaf crop, but expect production to resume in a yet to be determined future. They currently stock the smaller spray bottles of BR and BRL, and there's also a couple vendors who have old stock of the BR (but not BRL) with jacked-up prices.
Ron
z

Post by z »

I've been waiting for months for this product to hit the usual sites, and have even considered switching to Body Crystal's "Caribbean Bay Rum" variant from the same manufacturer. But even it's now sold out. I've been rationing my last little bit of the bottle for only occasional use, but at least it's been a good experience for me to try some other products.

This is very unfortunate, because there is nothing quite like Dominica Bay Rum. Nothing makes my face feel better, nor are any other alcohol-based aftershaves as mild and non-cloying. It's just a great product. So disappointing that it's not readily available.

If it keeps up, I may just buy from Vermont Country Store, though who knows how long they will even have it in stock.
Zach
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yes, VCS is one vendor that apparently has back-stock of the 10-oz. Dominica, albeit at a high price. You can still get the smaller bottles (last I checked) through the distributor and, I guess, remove the spray top and recap. My bottle of Lime is hovering at half-full, and I'm careful how I dole it out. I would expect if and when Dominica returns in original form, prices will be higher -- the price to be paid for fungi fiddling and lime larceny.
Ron
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am currently wearing Bay Rum with a Twist from Saint Charles Shave. It is a cologne but they usually duplicate scents in aftershaves too. I think you will like it even if it is different than Dominica.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

I use the D.R Harris Bay Rum aftershave and it is very nice.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

If you folks are jonesing for bay rum, why not try St. Johns or Charles H. Baldwin & Sons bay rum? Better yet, Krampert's Finest is the jewel in the bay rum crown.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I thought the original poster was specifically asking for lime scented bay rum.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Dominica Bay Rum and Bay Rum Lime is available again in the 10-oz. bottles through their distributor, Calantilles.
Distributor has confirmed a mistake in the higher price listing for BRL. Both BR and BRL will be sold at the same, lower price.
Ron
pausted

Post by pausted »

I ordered a bottle of each yesterday, the bay rum and the bay rum lime. I'm really looking forward to receiving them. I've not tried either one but they certainly receive great reviews.
Best regards,

Basil