Penhaligon's. What's Going On?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Penhaligon's. What's Going On?

Post by Squire »

Sounds like someone with reimagination is at work.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I shall shepherd my remaining bottle carefully. Bastards.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Curse them and their seed.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Re-developed?!?!?! Son of a b!tch! What the he|| are they thinking over there? Hammam is not my favorite from Penhaligon's but I do like it and I have a rather old bottle of it that I fancy around Spring time just to smell it on my wrist etc (like today). For Pete's sake it's from a different era that represented classic taste that's always appreciated. Once one seemingly develops an appreciation for the rather high-quality scents it can be quite a pleasant and exhilarating experience to enjoy this. Even my ten year-old daughter says, "Mmm, that smells good" when she smells it and she is "into" modern scents! It's not meant for the "Trend-setter" crowd but the "permanent fashion" crowd. What do they want to "re-develop" about it? What, make it more modern and toxic? Please . . . no. It will be dead as such.

It is like the perfectly cut and tailored suit that is fashionable for the last century. It's not like a Zoot suit. It's something you'd expect to smell on Cary Grant in "The Suit" like he wore in North by Northwest. It is not Gordon Gecko in his power suit from the 80's wearing the latest Powerhouse fragrance. Nor is it anything that anyone trendy is bandying about today in the current fashion. It's permanent.

Ugh, can no one keep a classic item available for those who are not slaves to impulse? Look, if you want to create a modern interpretation for the "now" crowd to capitalize on their whimsical tastes then go ahead but call it something else. Then you can go ahead and discontinue it in twenty years because it's out of fashion. Don't "re-developing" a classic item just to sell them fake heritage. It sunders everything that's real about true heritage.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

'Re-developed' eh? Screw them than, I damn sure won't buy it. How sad....
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

After reading this thread, I realized that I might have a treasure. When I bought all those samplers that I posted about, there were a number of Penhaligon's in the pack. I now have Blenheim Bouquet, Hamman Bouquet, English Fern, Castile, Espirit du Roi, and Eau Sans Pariel. I tried Hamman today and like it very much better than any Floris samples I tried. Anyone tried the others and care to comment? I also found that there were vials of Creed Santal Imperial, Cuir de Russie, and Royal English Leather, D'Orsey Les Dandy, and Chevalier, Acua de Palma Colognia Intensa, and Santa Maria Novella Muschio Oro in the pack. I hope someone has tried some of these too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's an embarrassment of riches there Pete.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ok, put your money where your mouth is. It's just now 1:28 pm Central DST and Hammam Bouquet Eau de Toilet is showing in stock (I put one of each in my basket, but removed them because it's not within my realm of desired fragrances.) in 50ml and 100ml bottles. Don't say you missed out. Where is it in stock? Straight Razor Designs.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I'm pretty sure that my samples are "reformulated". A lot of them are decants and those have a chance of being from old stock. The Penhaligons are not labeled as decants.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

No, the Hammam sample I received yesterday along with 3 others, (Essence of LIme, Blenheim Bouquet, and Sartorial) revealed to me that of those 4, Sartorial and Blenheim would be my favorites. For that reason, I passed on it. I do understand that even though the Hammam opens with an emphasis on Rose, it soon changes over to something with staying power, and reportedly very desirable in a man's fragrance. Plus, the better half didn't care for it nearly as much as she did the others. At least she actually likes something for a change! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't think you can tell from those samples Pete, if you decide to purchase a specific scent we can talk further.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I took a look at what SRD is selling and the stock photo of Hammam is more of a light colored juice whereas the bottle I have is more of a red-amber color. They don't even look the same. I am thinking that their stock is even reformuated from what I have. I acquired mine years ago in a trade and I recall that it was old juice at the time so I'm hesitant to order anything remaining on the market because it may not even smell the same.

Has anyone ordered from them recently that can give an impression of their stock? Is it as good as it ever was?

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd recommend calling. Don will know the answer, hopefully, if he's around when you call. I've spoken with him a couple of times in the past about other matters. I'm of the impression their store is a well run brick and mortar as well as a web store.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

None recent enough to call it recent Chris, eight years or so I guess, but when in doubt I fall back on my general preference which is older (vintage) is better.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I'm not really sure, it partially depends on HOW old your bottle is. The first Hammam Bouquet I had was from when they were still using Bulgarian rose otto as a main ingredient. In the stuff I still have a little of they had switched to a Turkish rose; it's not quite the same, not as deep and decadent, but very similar and still very good. But now it sounds like they've flat-out changed it.

Gary, I don't know as that's really the point. If I buy a bottle now just because I can get one of the older ones, even though I otherwise wouldn't be purchasing right now, what when I run out of that one? The point is, apparently, we won't be able to get the real deal anymore period. This is like when T&H 'updated' their classic colognes ( Spanish Leather, Clubman, and Freshman ) and I called the shop in London to complain. They said they still had a few bottles of the 'old' Spanish Leather and did I want them to send me one and I said, "don't bother". I buy this stuff to wear not to hoard a bottle for years just dragging it out for the Holidays or whatever.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Precisely.
Regards,
Squire