Penhaligon's. What's Going On?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ken

Penhaligon's. What's Going On?

Post by Ken »

I just received an email ad fromPenhaligon's advertising "Penhaligon's Cocktails." With respect to Blenheim Bouquet, the ad states that it has been "reimagined in vodka, zesty citrus with a splash of prosecco and a pop of peppercorn." It's difficult to know whether this is just a mental reimagining or whether they have changed the actual formula.

I went to their website and looked at the men's fragrances. While I found nothing about reimagining, I also failed to find Hammam Bouquet. Instead there was a fragrance called "Elixir," which "echoes Hammam Bouquet, created by William Penhaligon in 1872." Their notes state that Elixir was created in 2008. Does anybody know whether Hammam Bouquet has been discontinued? Douro is still there, but I wonder...

Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Penhaligon's. What's Going On?

Post by Squire »

"Reimagined", what a delightful concept, when things go awry we just reimagine the situation.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are experts who can create mixed drinks that smell/taste like the non-consumable Penhaligon's fragrance counterpart.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I was thinking more of the beautiful simplicity of reimaging something.

Honey, I'm pregnant, what do you think?

Well, lets just reimagine that concept.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ken wrote:I just received an email ad fromPenhaligon's advertising "Penhaligon's Cocktails." With respect to Blenheim Bouquet, the ad states that it has been "reimagined in vodka, zesty citrus with a splash of prosecco and a pop of peppercorn." It's difficult to know whether this is just a mental reimagining or whether they have changed the actual formula.

I went to their website and looked at the men's fragrances. While I found nothing about reimagining, I also failed to find Hammam Bouquet. Instead there was a fragrance called "Elixir," which "echoes Hammam Bouquet, created by William Penhaligon in 1872." Their notes state that Elixir was created in 2008. Does anybody know whether Hammam Bouquet has been discontinued? Douro is still there, but I wonder...

Ken
Ken, I got the same email and having glanced over it had the same moment of reservation at first - have they messed with this stuff again?!

Upon closer inspection the email seems to be selling mixed drink preparations like Holland House here in the US. What's doubly confusing for us Americans is that when you click on the "Buy Now" icon in the email it takes you to the US Penhaligon's website for the BB aftershave. The notes for the aftershave seem to not match the description of the email completely. Those notes seem to be describing the traditional BB. Looking at all the links on the page one finds a blog posting on how to make a BB cocktail. This seems to be what is mentioned in the email. Clicking on it takes you directly to that posting with the recipe and some "How to" videos.

So in short it seems that the fragrance hasn't been diddled with but they have created a gimmick (in the making of similar smelling cocktails) to get you to buy some of the fragrance. I think panic can now be averted.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:I was thinking more of the beautiful simplicity of reimaging something.

Honey, I'm pregnant, what do you think?

Well, lets just reimagine that concept.
Squire, my response was "Merry Christmas!" The baby is due in August.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Congratulations to you both, my best wishes included.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Great news Chris. Congrats Dad.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ken

Post by Ken »

Chris,

I figured that Penhaligon's wouldn't "reimagine" Blenheim Bouquet to include vodka. But my more serious concern is the apparent disappearance of Hammam Bouquet. That would be a real loss.

Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I quite agree.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll take your word for it. It's one of those that would cost over $100, just to find out what I've been missing. That is IF it is/was still in production and offered for sale. (I have seen some of it listed on ebay, but what if that's not the real thing.) Not worth it to me.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Hammam is not there at all, in any form? That's sad as well as annoying. Afterall, Hammam Bouquet is THE Penhaligon's scent, the original and the only one that was available during that period after the shop in Old Bond Street closed ( the 1960s, early '70s more or less ). It was said that it was worn by every male British Monarch since Edward VII was Prince of Wales. Of course, Penhaligon's has been corporate owned for a long time now and those folks really don't care about that sort of thing ( although they happily use such material in their ad copy when it suits ). Still, it's hard to believe that they'd just totally ax it even if it wasn't a big seller. Oh, and their Douro is not the same BTW, I had a chance to finally check it out at Saks in Palm Beach last Thanksgiving. Somewhat similiar but definitely NOT the cologne that Lords was.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just to add to the confusion, if you go to the Penhaligon website and choose the UK version, Hamman Bouquet is there, but not on the US version of the page. I'm afraid you are being discriminated against, gentlemen. You can, however, buy it direct from aedes.com in NYC.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

This reminded me that Lucky Scent (California) is aggressive about recommending samples before buying the whole bottle. They seem to carry the entire Penhaligon's range, and now I have samples on the way. I got Essence of Lime; Hammam Bouquet; Blenheim Bouquet; and Sartorial. Already have a bottle of EF After Shave.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks for the reference Chris, I'd forgotten the name of that place.
Regards,
Squire
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I'm fond of BB - in fact it's the only frag I own as soap, cream and AS. I associate BB with a strong pine note - can't imagine that a "pinesol Martini" would be very good. Really, I can't think of any frags that I would want echoed in a drink, maybe selection verte would have some potential but even that seems like a stretch.
Rick
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, I like a separation between the thinks I use internally and externally.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Regarding Hammam Bouquet's availability, I just received this e-mail in response to my query:

Hi Christopher,

Hammam Bouquet is still available but currently out of stock on Penhaligons website. However, you can check with these fine retailers who may still carry it.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, "...who may still carry it..." has a somewhat ominous air about it. Their website is "currently out of stock" but the question is, 'is it still being made'...will it ever be BACK in stock?
Regards,
Gordon
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gordon, exactly. So after getting this wishy-washy answer from Penhaligon's USA, I e-mailed the head office and got a much more distressing response:

"Thank you for your email.

Hammam bouquet will be available towards the end of July. This fragrance is been re-developed.

Best regards

Corinne Fitzgerald
Customer service manager"

Setting aside the typos, RE-DEVELOPED?!!!! (Insert a long stream of obscenities of your choice). Well I guess it has been re-developed already.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy