Any Other Leather Lovers?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

Any Other Leather Lovers?

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I used some classic MEM: English Leather. I also enjoy Woods of Windsor. I have used the Coty version of E. L. and liked it too. My favorite was some Leather that I got in a three piece set I think was a Coty brand. It included a musk that I also liked and a spice. As I recall there was a wonderful leather my wife got me from Avon in a captains lanter bottle. Any one else go for the leather?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Any Other Leather Lovers?

Post by Squire »

I do like the Woods of Windsor though am not familiar with the others.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

English Leather reminds me of my Dad when I was very young and I love to smell it for that reason but I do not wear it.

For myself, I like a variety of leather scents such as Trumper's Spanish Leather, Dunhill 1936 and Knize 10. There are probably others I am not recalling at the moment but my favorite leather scent for the past few years is Trumper's Spanish Leather. It's just so well done, yet rich and inoffensive.

I primarily wear leather scents in Fall and Winter.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I forgot about Spanish Leather. I like too but it doesn't smell like the other leathers I have. I also had a Floris Spanish leather if I recall. I gave away all my Floris samples so I can't go back and check but it was also closer to the Trumpers than the other leather scents. I seem to detect a tea like odor from the latter. I never could find leather in Knize 10 even though it is supposed to have that character. It is the longest lasting of all the colognes I have ever tried--2 days and it is still there. Never cared much for it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I love the smell of real leather, but something about how my nose perceives manmade leather fragrances is unpleasant. When English Leather first came out it was ok, but wearing it turned me off pretty quickly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Janus

Post by Janus »

Trumpers SL is my favorite but I also rather like this Bernoth's take on Russian Leather:

http://www.pomade-shop.eu/epages/615916 ... ucts/25103

No idea though how true - if at all - to the original cuir de russie it is, since it's the only one of its kind I've tried.
Janus
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Bernoth is an interesting site. I wish I could read german but I can't, so I couldn't even find Russian Leather there. I once had a bottle of Russian Leather but I don't recall the maker (it was a gift). I do recall that I hardly ever wore it because it was so heavy.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't think EU regs allow some of the ingredients found in the original Cuir de Russie.
Regards,
Squire
Janus

Post by Janus »

Pete, you can select language on that pomade shop site from a drop down menu on top left corner. They use google translator so it's far from perfect but better than nothing. And yes, that Bernoth Juchten is plenty potent stuff, IMO, and can easily be overdone.
Janus
worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

I keep Vintage Knize Ten & Creed Cuir de Russie for days when I am in mood for strong leather fragrances.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The only leather fragrance I currently use is a Yankee Candle leather scent jar for my SUV. I have it hanging in the back quarter window of of the suction cup attached MUFC kit. It keeps my car smelling clean all the time -- I replace it every 2-3 months.

I was an English Leather user as a teenager --- used to wash myself in the stuff, and can only imagine now how offensive that would have been to those around me. But hey - it was the 70s, and that wouldn't have been the only offensive fragrance lingering in the air in those days.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MrDapper

Post by MrDapper »

Hi Gents, Squire you are right, EU regs are very stringent but I wonder what ingredients Cuir de Russie has in it that EU would not allow?

For leather scents I like what others here enjoy, Trumpers the most, and I also like Dana's English Leather. I tend to layer these, using English Leather as an aftershave and Trumpers as a body spray, I find they work well together. I do hope one day that Cussons bring back their Imperial Leather AS, their leather scent is/was very good, from memory it falls somewhere between Trumpers and English Leather. They do still make a hand soap and the aftershave was very close to the scent of this.

Leathers are an odd class of scent, because I immediately think of Trumpers Spanish Leather when someone mention a leather scent. Anyone who has tried Tom Fords Tuscany Leather will realise that it's not the case. I also have another scent which is classed as leather and that being Pal Zileri - Cuoio EDT.

To me this is a slightly softer version of Tom Fords leather, though Tom Fords Leather is very much in between Trumpers Astor and Trumpers Eucris, which to my knowledge are not classed as leathers??

The thing I do like about both TF's leather and Pal Zileri's is the longevity which is basically all day, so a little goes a long way. Trumpers scents I find are rather faded by the afternoon following a morning application of them.

Truefitt and Hill also do a Spanish Leather which I have never tried before so would be intrested to see how it compares to Trumpers. There is also another German company, Dalton that make a Spanish Leather. I have asked some friends in Germany if they can obtain a bottle of the EDT for me. http://www.dalton-cosmetic.com/index.php?id=46

If I can get a bottle of it I will post back my thoughts on it.
:)
“We can’t be lovers because we both have mustaches. But since you’re a lady, and I’m a gentleman, I’ll shave mine off.”
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

My love of Trumper's Spanish Leather goes back to when I was a kid. My older sisters (13 and 14 years older than I) were equestrians (we had our own horse in those days). They kept the one saddle they owned hanging by a nail on the wall in the basement of our house. Whatever saddle soap and conditioner they used back then smelled like Trumper's Spanish leather.

I can still see it hanging on the wall in my memories (right by the doorway into the laundry/workbench room) and smelling it as I entered the room to get whatever I was looking for. I was just a wee lad in those days but the memory is strong.

I also would ride that horse with my sisters and help feed it and put it's jammies on for bed at times. I could smell that scent even then. Wonderful memories wrapped up in this fragrance.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good story Chris.
Regards,
Squire