Penhaligons fragrances

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

Penhaligons fragrances

Post by brothers »

The ones I have are English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, Essence of Lime, Hammam Bouquet, Sartorial, and Bayolea. Several are sample vials I have bought from Lucky Scent. I picked up 100ml of English Fern from a guy on the shaving forums. It turns out that my (current) body chemistry and my nose are perfectly attuned to Sartorial. Not so much the others. Note, I didn't say not at all, just not as much as Sartorial. That's my choice of the above listed. When I buy another one it'll be Sartorial. I was ready to go all in on Bayolea until Lucky Scent made it possible for me to sample it first. PS: I reserve the right to get one of those huge jars of Bayolea Shaving Cream at some future day, just because it is what it is.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Penhaligons fragrances

Post by jww »

I got some samples recently of a few Penhaligons fragrances ... and have to admit, I didn't get all the fuss -- they were quite offensive to my scent-sensitive olfactory system. :cry:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not able to appreciate fragrances as enthusiastically as others. Once or twice, especially as a teenager who saw an ad and was tricked into dousing myself in hopes the girls would swarm all over me, the only thing that happened was a terrific headache and a vigorous shower to try to rid myself of the horrible stink.
Cheap or expensive, I'm not a fragrance guy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh dear Wendell, that's unfortunate. Perhaps something woodsy with a hint of ski wax would work.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Because of the samples, I've decided that in addition to Sartorial, the Blenheim Bouquet is another one that works pretty good for me.
Gary

worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

My Favorite is Hammam Bouquet.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Blenheim Bouquet and Opus 1870 are my favorites. Hammam is OK in small doses but can be a bit to animalic for my taste. I like EF as well but found some Crown Fougere that I prefer. As for Bayolea - it sounds too much like ebola for me to feel good about spraying any onto my skin.
Rick
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No love for LP9? It has snuck up on me and now I revel in its rich decadence.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got a bunch of samples in a batch listed in the sale or trade forum. So far I have tried an liked English Fern and Blenheim Bouquet.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

blantyre wrote:Blenheim Bouquet and Opus 1870 are my favorites. Hammam is OK in small doses but can be a bit to animalic for my taste. I like EF as well but found some Crown Fougere that I prefer. As for Bayolea - it sounds too much like ebola for me to feel good about spraying any onto my skin.
What differences did you find between Crown Fougere & English Fern? Is there any website where Crown Fougere is still available?
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

What differences did you find between Crown Fougere & English Fern? Is there any website where Crown Fougere is still available?[/quote]

The Crown has a spicy note and a heavier base that lasts all day. It is also seems to be EDP strength so requires only a light application. It has the same basic scent as EF and Wild Fern just more intense and robust in all respects. I bought a 90% full 50 ML on this forum and I can hardly see the drop in content from using it. It was available online until a couple of years ago. If you like the classic fougeres, this is worth searching out.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

A while back i settled on 3 Pen's fragrances, in consultation with my wife who seems to have a better nose for fragrances than I do. In my case, at least right now, it's Sartorial followed closely by Blenheim Bouquet, and English Fern in 3rd spot, as long as I don't use any of the above too often, or make a mistake and use way too much on any given occasion. I use others regularly too, as the mood strikes me. There are the usual cluster of also-rans and never used classics sitting on the gloomy cabinet top shelf. Presumably watching the years roll by awaiting the inevitable shaving apocalypse.
Gary

mrscruff

Post by mrscruff »

I have been using Espri Du Roi for 2 years now. A classic office, business meeting scent.