A Brisk Encounter

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Araner

A Brisk Encounter

Post by Araner »

Barbasol’s Brisk aftershave is an inexpensive Mennen SkinBracer copycat. Or is it? Technically I think there is no doubt that it’s a copycat, seeing as how SkinBracer was on this earth decades before Brisk showed up. They both look the same (green color), they both smell the same ( both smell like Skin Bracer), and they both have the same refreshing cooling feeling when liberally splashed on the freshly shaven face. Of course they don’t cost the same, Brisk is cheaper. But, getting back to the “splash on the face" part; it’s after that when I notice a difference, the smell of Brisk aftershave lotion on the face is subtly better. Now I’m not going to treat this stuff like expensive cologne and describe it in cologne like terminology such as “dry down and staying power”; after all it’s just a $2.00 aftershave. But, if Skin Bracer is on your list of go-to aftershaves I would encourage you to give Brisk a shot. And, if you have never tried either you should try both. However, in a head-to-head comparison I think Brisk is the best!

One more thing: If you like the chilly feeling of a cool aftershave on your face try the Brisk double slap. After the first application of Brisk on your face, wait a minute for it to dry and then slap on a second application; the cooling feeling is far more invigoratingly cold the second time around.

In the world of aftershaves, it’s been my experience that it doesn’t have to be expensive to be good.

All I am saying... is give cheap a chance!

Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: A Brisk Encounter

Post by Squire »

Menthol isn't my thing but I understand the appeal and there's no point paying more than necessary.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Is this the same stuff as the V-Jon Brisk that most supermarkets sell?

Chris
pausted

Post by pausted »

Chris, I don't think so. The Vi-Jon products that I have seen seem to all have their logo on the bottom of the bottle. The Barbasol Brisk doesn't have the logo. Just my assumption.
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Basil, thanks so much for your response.

Got this today at the local Dollar General store. It was a buck something so why not.

Applied it to one arm and Skin Bracer to the other and there's not much difference to my nose, but I do like the Skin Bracer slightly better. I'll give it the old College try for a while and see how I like it.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Well it's day two and already there's irritation. To be fair this has been the case with Skin Bracer lately as well so my initial assessment that there is not much difference may still be valid. Don't know what it is but lately a lot of stuff just doesn't agree with my skin even though it did for years. Could it be reformulation issues? I dunno.

I can still use Bay Rum though so I'm good.

Chris
Araner

Post by Araner »

EL Alamein wrote:Could it be reformulation issues? I dunno.

Chris
A couple of years ago Skin Bracer changed the original ingredients by replacing hydrogenated castor oil with poly glycol.

Regards,
Mike
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Araner wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:Could it be reformulation issues? I dunno.

Chris
A couple of years ago Skin Bracer changed the original ingredients by replacing hydrogenated castor oil with poly glycol.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, thanks! I just so happen to have a quantity of the old stuff and I may give it a try to see if that's it.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Just to update, I haven't given the old Skin Bracer a go yet (I mean as in recently after I developed a sensitivity to the new stuff after using it for years - but I have used the vintage stuff in the past successfully when there was no such sensitivity). I did give the Barbasol another shot today after a very comfortable shave. There wasn't even a hint of irritation when I rinsed with water after the shave. After application of the Barbasol it was apparent after a few minutes that it was irritating. I stuck with it for most of my day though just to see if it persisted.

Late in the afternoon I could still see faint redness in certain areas where it usually isn't when just using Bay Rum as an aftershave and my skin felt sensitive and irritated to the touch. I wound up rinsing off my face with water at this time and applying a light application of Bay Rum just to sooth my skin. This cleared everything up within minutes.

In short, this is a no-go for me. But for less than two bucks it's one of the least expensive lessons I've learned.

Next Friday I'll try the vintage Skin Bracer and we'll see how it goes.

Chris
BPman

Post by BPman »

I bought a bottle of this as a change after having used two bottles of their Pacific Rush. This is IMO a superb smelling AS. Yes, Old School for sure, but not exactly the same as the Mennen Skin Bracer. I believe I read where Barbasol makes this themselves and why not as they have their own lab & chemists on staff.

I have several classic Old School AS's but use them sparingly for more important times than merely casual daily usage as they are finite. This will now become an oft used AS for me. Great stuff and dirt cheap!! :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll have to try it, as soon as I can find a bottle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll wait until it shows up at DollarTree.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Dollar General stores carry the Barbasol AS's. I think I paid $1.75. :wink:
pausted

Post by pausted »

Squire wrote:I'll wait until it shows up at DollarTree.
Squire, i think you'll be waiting awhile. As far as I know, Dollar General is the only place you will find it.
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Patience is a virtue.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Went to Dollar General this morning. They have both Brisk and Pacific Rush versions at $1.79 plus tax. They're not sealed so I sniffed each one. I think Brisk reminds me of Mennen Skin Bracer. Not bad at all. However, I think I prefer Pacific Rush. I think these are deceptively priced. They're better than just OK. They're far better than I expected. I didn't buy any. My wife reminds me I have many others that are even better. That makes me feel pretty good about my selections so far.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers wrote:...I didn't buy any. My wife reminds me I have many others that are even better. That makes me feel pretty good about my selections so far.
:shock: Didn't buy one? [-X What AS does your wife like best? I have found that the opinion of a woman in the USA regarding what she likes in a male fragrance is almost entirely dependent upon her age. Age 50+ they like the old classics & younger usually like the new stuff that quite frankly make a man smell like a.................girl. :oops:

As another example of taste & age, the old Estee Lauder women's perfume Youth Dew drives me crazy......in a good sort of "wolfish" way. :P Younger men & women can't stand it.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

We don't have a DollarGeneral store here so I went to their online site and that said they don't carry it. If you find it locally, it must be old stock and will soon be gone. I searched for "Barbasol Brisk" and "Brisk Aftershave".
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, Youth Dew, that one brings back some memories.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got my wife some Youth Dew because she and I like Estee Lauder fragrances and I recalled smelling it in the halls where I worked many years ago. It turns out to be the heaviest scent my wife ever tried. She wore it dutifully until it was gone. I got to really hate that scent. I hope the experience doesn't affect our admiration of others like Beyond Paradise.
Ouchmychin (Pete)